Bersa Thunder or Beretta Cheetah 84 .380?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My wife and I had 1 each of those pistols...I had the Bersa Thunder .380 and the wife had the Beretta Cheetah .380!

Of those two...the Bersa was, by far, the easiest to work with...conceal via pocket-carry...etc.

Of those two...the Beretta was the better pistol for shooting...better grip...accuracy...recoil was moderate to nominal...and was a better overall pistol!

We sold / traded them both of them 10+ years ago...of the two, we both wish we had the Beretta back!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My wife and I had 1 each of those pistols...I had the Bersa Thunder .380 and the wife had the Beretta Cheetah .380!

Of those two...the Bersa was, by far, the easiest to work with...conceal via pocket-carry...etc.

Of those two...the Beretta was the better pistol for shooting...better grip...accuracy...recoil was moderate to nominal...and was a better overall pistol!

We sold / traded them both of them 10+ years ago...of the two, we both wish we had the Beretta back!

1. That is so the kind of practical and applicable type of feedback that is so useful: thanks! :thumbsup:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Fixed barrels have more felt recoil. A Beretta 3032 at 14 ounces has more felt recoil to me than a Keltec P32 at 8 ounces.

I said it recoils harder than the Chiappa/Zenith/Girsan clone, not that it recoils harder than a locked breech design. The MC14 has a tallish closed-top slide reminiscent of a Sig but is otherwise effectively identical to the open top Beretta excepting the lack of a decocker in the safety. They use the same mags and many parts are or are darn near interchangeable (I suspect they are deliberately just enough different to prevent swapping slides but it wouldn't be hard to make it work)

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    I cannot comment on the Bersa, but I have a Beretta 85F (single stack Beretta 84). I love it. It is a great pistol. It isn't difficult to conceal, but usually if I carry it, I carry it open and covered. The Glock 42/43 conceal better (I know you're not asking about Glock, just giving you conceal comparison). I have no intention getting rid of the Beretta 85. It shoots well, it is a quality firearm, and it is a reliable firearm. I don't carry it as much since I do have the 42, 43, LCP and Nano....all of which conceal easier.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Beretta Cheetah 84, SS, 13+1, with wood handles, has sold I noticed, so the "secret" dream has died. :ugh:
    Interesting that a .380 got my attention so: I need intervention. :wallbash:
    Identified weakness: Stainless steel with wood handles. :dunno:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    1. In dealing with me, you have to add another category: sheer fun factor! :laugh:

And that's perfectly fine. And, if that's your reason (your primary reason), then it makes no difference. Get whichever tickles your fancy and have fun.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    I carried a bersa for several years. Only reason I got rid of it was to trade for a Makarov. I'm a sucker for mil surplus! Most carry guns chambered in .380 these days are too small!

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    1. Is the round for those very expensive?

About the same as 380, maybe a little less, and I've never had a problem finding it. I'm a big Makarov fan, have put 2000+ rounds through mine, they are very accurate and I don't recall ever having a failure of any kind.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    About the same as 380, maybe a little less, and I've never had a problem finding it. I'm a big Makarov fan, have put 2000+ rounds through mine, they are very accurate and I don't recall ever having a failure of any kind.

1. I looked up the ammo: per 1000 rounds: $230, $240ish
    2. I read where to watch out for the imitations.
    3. Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield has a "perfect one" for $495, which surprised me since I've seen them for 1/2 that and their used prices are the best.

Top Bottom