• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    These Browning Buck Marks used are listed for as much as new ($400ish), so I have never bought a Browning since there is no great rush to push me for a "now" decision.
    Is this such a deal below, or since this is a 4", should a person really get a 5" or a 5.5" barrel and spend more to get one.
    There are so many variations of these Brownings, it is hard to know which one (s) to focus on and which to avoid.

Also, I have wondered since I have other .22LR semi-autos, I should not get any others b/c it would be just more of the same (unless I stepped up to something like a Smith 41 ($1100- $1300), or the Baretta Target pistol (and I'm sure there are more).
    To give you a perspective for those familiar with the genre, I have the .22LR semi-auto in:
    a. Smith Compact 9 (my benchmark: well made from the ground up by Smith)
    b. RIA 1911-22 (great replica of the 1911 in every way)
    c. Smith 22A-1 (feels and fires like a more expensive 22LR imo)
    d. GSG 1911-22 (everything upgraded)
    e. Beretta Neos (long barrel) I can't help myself: I love this gun.

While I am at it, for those who can address this, there are other 22LRs that I am interested in and if I should stifle my pursuit of the following b/c you know of negatives about them, please warn me away:
    a. are there Brownings to stay away from? Or which ones should be my focus?
    b. Beretta M9-22 (made by Umarex but reviews seem to be good anyway)

I have given up my quest for certain ones b/c of negative reviews or have rented them at the range (like Ruger SR22) and was not impressed with compared to my Shield Compact or others that I already have:
    a. Ruger SR22
    b. Walther P22 (comparable to the Ruger SR)
    c. Sig Mosquito (most negatives)
    d. Colt 1911-22 (made by Walther)

I have been so busy working on my 9mm projects that I haven't spent much time on my 22LRs in months (except to find ammo for my Bersa Thunder to cycle), but have checked into buying a Buckmark and a Ruger 22-45, but the used prices are not much less than what I can get for new, so no motivation (I buy used when the price is "I-can't-let-this-pass" price). :laugh:

mail

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Try out a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite, or really any mark, and you will not be disappointed. The Mark IVs just make ease of cleaning so much more of a selling point for me personally, compared to earlier models. If you were closer, id let ya try mine out

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Try out a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite, or really any mark, and you will not be disappointed. The Mark IVs just make ease of cleaning so much more of a selling point for me personally, compared to earlier models. If you were closer, id let ya try mine out

1. Oh yes: the Mark 4 is on my radar and I rented 1 at the range and liked it.
    2. I can get a basic model for $330, but the target model in SS and etc is $616, although some of the target models are $430: confusing array of several levels/prices for the Mark 4.
    3. I would want to get a good one, but perhaps for my level of shooting the less expensive one would do fine, but it the more expensive one would be "almost" as good as a Smith 41, then it would be worth the extra expense since I don't see myself paying out the money for a Smith 41 unless I sold off a few of my other semi-auto 22LRs to help pay for it.
    4. Of course, if I shot one and it was every bit as good as the hype, I could change my mind, but my foray into 1911 .45 acp would not lead me to believe that would be my experience since my $600 Ruger Gov't. model was enjoyed as much as the more expensive Kimber and Dan Wesson (and others at the range rental) that I got to shoot of a member's here when we met at the range, but they were smoother and a pleasure to shoot, but for the money I'd be happier living with having less tied up moneywise since I have so many guns. If I only have a few, then I would be more discerning.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have a Browning Buckmark, but mine has the 5" (maybe 5.5, not sure) barrel and I couldn't be happier. I've never shot one with the 4" barrel, but for that price I don't think you could really go wrong.

jimmothy86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can personally vouch for the M&P Compact now, but you said you already have one, i love it, i may have to see about trading my XDM for a shield in 9mm soon!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sell all of those.....buy a buckmark or mark iv. That's all you need. Decrease clutter and increase quality.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I looked to buy one here I believe last week, but they were wanting new pricing for it, so I moved on like I do when I compare used to new pricing (I want to save $100 and usually save closer to $200.
    2. I had to buy my Shield Compact 22LR from Rural King b/c noone would sell one or they simply did not come up for sale for the $300 RK sold it for.
    3. Truly appreciate your offer, and if it shoots like the Mark I rented at the range I already appreciate them.
    4. I totally agree: take down ease/difficulty is a deal breaker for me, which is why I've stayed away from buying a Mark earlier (owned an early model in the late 80s and loved it).

I have a Browning Buckmark, but mine has the 5" (maybe 5.5, not sure) barrel and I couldn't be happier. I've never shot one with the 4" barrel, but for that price I don't think you could really go wrong.

5. I would rather have a 7" barrel :laugh: for a range gun, which is why I should not get a 4" if the longer barrels are more accurate.

If you want a 4" barrel on a .22lr pistol - it's going to be hard to beat that sale price on a QUALITY firearm.

6. Price would be why I would settle for a 4".
    7. I already have the SW Compact Shield (which I think is a 4"), but I think others are saying the Mark is a tad better: but for me being a tad better is relative at this point in life with the eyes.

I can personally vouch for the M&P Compact now, but you said you already have one, i love it, i may have to see about trading my XDM for a shield in 9mm soon!

8. The Compact is my benchmark which I judge all others, and it is wonderful.
    9. I love my Shield 9mm, and I have had many others and they have been sold or after a range time, passed on (or reading negative reviews).
    10. The latest contender to replace the Shield is a Glock 43 I just bought Saturday: we'll see, b/c I won't keep both.

I would sell four of the five 22lrs and buy a SW Model 41...

1. It is remarks like that from someone I know and trust which have gotten my attention!
    2. At a gun store I had a gun in my hand that I would have bought if I should but I didn't know if it was a range gun from Heaven or too much for my use.
    The owner indicated that it was more of a competition gun?
    Hd0i5MS.jpg

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I can attest to small miracle that is the SW41. Best bud has the Performance Center version and it is stupid accurate. For a pure range gun, I would eagerly sell off a couple other .22s to fund a SW41.

Be advised that part of the accuracy of the SW41 is the super tight and short chamber. They will want good ammo to run right. Save your Remington bulk pack for other guns.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sell all of those.....buy a buckmark or mark iv. That's all you need. Decrease clutter and increase quality.

1. Now that is some stellar input.
    2. I was thinking that if I bought a semi automatic that was a whole tier above what I had,
    That there would be no need for the other semi automatics:
    I wonder how long it will take me to get there.
    3. I thought I would have to buy the Smith 41 to get there.
    4. Being able to do so with a Ruger or Buck Mark would be convenient.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    In reality, the Rugers & Brownings are more than enough for most of us. I’d love to have a SW 41, but I know I’m not outshooting my MkIII or MkIV currently. I wouldn’t even be close to utilizing a 41.

Edit: I’ve bought more than my share of firearms that outperform my ability and the 41 is still one that I struggle to justify.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Buy a mk iv. Put in a Volquartsen trigger kit. It will out shoot you for the rest of your life. You won't "need" anything else (you may lust or "want" though.....). I'm EXTREMELY happy with my mk iv after I dropped in a VQ trigger kit.....and that's coming from a trigger snob. I'd put my mk iv up against a SW 41 any day. And to top it off, the MK iv is going to be MUCH more common with a heck of a lot more aftermarket support. I'd personally rather have a MK iv.

I'm down to 4 pistols now. Got rid of all the clutter and redundant stuff.
    1) 22 pistol - mark iv
    2) Glovebox handgun - CZ 75b
    3) Nightstand handgun - CZ SP-01
    4) Carry handgun - G43

1. Now that is some stellar input.
    2. I was thinking that if I bought a semi automatic that was a whole tier above what I had,
    That there would be no need for the other semi automatics:
    I wonder how long it will take me to get there.
    3. I thought I would have to buy the Smith 41 to get there.
    4. Being able to do so with a Ruger or Buck Mark would be convenient.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Buy a mk iv. Put in a Volquartsen trigger kit. It will out shoot you for the rest of your life. You won't "need" anything else (you may lust or "want" though.....). I'm EXTREMELY happy with my mk iv after I dropped in a VQ trigger kit.....and that's coming from a trigger snob. I'd put my mk iv up against a SW 41 any day. And to top it off, the MK iv is going to be MUCH more common with a heck of a lot more aftermarket support. I'd personally rather have a MK iv.

I'm down to 4 pistols now. Got rid of all the clutter and redundant stuff.
    1) 22 pistol - mark iv
    2) Glovebox handgun - CZ 75b
    3) Nightstand handgun - CZ SP-01
    4) Carry handgun - G43

A. I look with keen interest seeing what you have and looking at what I have after just 1 yr. of searching.
    B. Very interesting that the CZ is on 2 of your permanent "keepers."

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Been through everything that’s available. CZ 75 variants are my favorite. Sold everything else. Sat on my first CZ for about 3 years and shot the snot out of it before finalizing the decision that both of my full sizes would be CZ 75 variants. Thought long and hard about that decision because prior to that, I had swapped out for different makes and models about once a year. Never thought about selling the CZ, so after 3 years, I decided to get the second and finish off my handgun collection.

They are a black hole though. You think you’re buying a $500 gun.....then you tinker with it a bit.....then you send it off to the wizard.....and all of a sudden, what once was a $500 gun is now a $1000-2000 gun. But damn they are sweet.

My handgun collection is now finished. No more buying or selling. I’m done. Just shooting now.

A. I look with keen interest seeing what you have and looking at what I have after just 1 yr. of searching.
    B. Very interesting that the CZ is on 2 of your permanent "keepers."

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been through everything that’s available.
    My handgun collection is now finished. No more buying or selling. I’m done. Just shooting now.

1. Why am I laughing? :laugh:
    2. I guess I am thinking you will change and be ready to move on eventually; some of that has to do on whether you are in your 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, or 70s (you get the idea). :dunno:
    3. It would be convenient to be in a place where nothing else was calling to you.
    4. Since this is all so new to me, I can't imagine, but if you went from multiple guns down to 4: WOW! My wife wishes I would mature to that point, but she doesn't know that when that happens you can end up with $2000 in one gun.
    5. When it comes to more expensive, the wheelguns call to me. :rockwoot:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    5. When it comes to more expensive, the wheelguns call to me.

2. I guess I am thinking you will change and be ready to move on eventually; some of that has to do on whether you are in your 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, or 70s (you get the idea). :dunno:
    3. It would be convenient to be in a place where nothing else was calling to you.
    4. Since this is all so new to me, I can't imagine, but if you went from multiple guns down to 4: WOW! My wife wishes I would mature to that point, but she doesn't know that when that happens you can end up with $2000 in one gun.

You KNOW where to find a couple...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If I were a collector or wanted range only handguns, I'd think about revolvers. They just don't hold 18 rounds like my CZ's do. And I don't live in bear country.

Haven't changed my mind on these in 3 years. I don't think I will.

At most, I'll swap the G43 eventually when some company other than Sig gets the P365 design right and manufactures something reliable that isn't made out of ****ty Indian MIM. The CZ's and MK IV won't be going anywhere though.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If I were a collector or wanted range only handguns, I'd think about revolvers. They just don't hold 18 rounds like my CZ's do. And I don't live in bear country.
    Haven't changed my mind on these in 3 years. I don't think I will.
    At most, I'll swap the G43 eventually when some company other than Sig gets the P365 design right and manufactures something reliable that isn't made out of ****ty Indian MIM. The CZ's and MK IV won't be going anywhere though.

1. I do admire the place where you are at: resolute, confident and satisfied with your choices. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom