• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Simply an FYI so you have the information should you want to look into it further.
    The Glock conversion kits are a lot more affordable than the Sig ones. There really isn’t much that’s affordable with Sig, great guns just not cheap.
    https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117&products_id=42111
    Glock 26 2/LR Conversion kit for $219. Doesn’t seem to be generation specific. Comes with the complete slide, magazine and a range bag to keep it in.
    If you want to try a MkIV Target or a MkIII 22/45 Lite (w/ red dot), let me know. Always happy to let others try things.
    Don’t be ashamed that that you enjoy the simple things. I’ve been through a number of firearms in the last year as I learn, most of the ones that moved on couldn’t be explained in any way that makes sense. We all have the things we enjoy.

1. Ok, you have my attention! Price seems fine, but are you getting a Glock efficiency when you put a .22LR on it?
    2. I thought the conversion kits were for guys that didn't want to spring for a dedicated .22 not for someone like me who is always going to have more guns in .22 caliber than any other.
    3. I thought Glocks prices were high, now you tell me the Sig is another level higher :crying:. I might not ever get to that level unless I do work until I'm 70 (the goal if arthritis allows: 2 surgeries coming up, one next week and the other next summer if it can wait that long).
    4. I haven't look at the site yet and might not even be able at work.

I'll just leave this here... I have not researched prices on these...
    https://grabagun.com/ruger-mkiv-22-...m_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=Daily Email

5. I'll check them out at home this evening, thanks!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    WebSnyper can probably answers better specifics on how well the conversion kits work. I don’t own any Glocks, I just knew the kits the existed.

If you stay in the polymer frame Sigs, the price are reasonably close to Glocks. Going to the metal frames tend to add some cost.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was able to get on those sites (different cmp that isn't being blocked as much?) and really appreciated the ammo recommendations.
    It's hard for me to believe you can "slap" another slide and magazine on a gun and it's going to not have any FTF/FTE type of issues, but I guess I'll just have to take the advice of the experts who had done it here and have faith.
    The barrel was something like 3.46" long, and I wondered how that would be better than my 5", 6" and 7" barrel semi-autos.
    It would be fun to have a 22LR capability on my big fat Glock 26 frame: nice nuance that I'm looking for.

OK guys, to show how you are a bad influence and I do listen to you, I'm going to order on my lunch time since I found I can get in.
    Oh!, I just had a horrible thought: what if something else comes along to beat out my love for the Glock 26, and I have the conversion kit? :wallbash:
    I guess I would have to find another Glock 26 and sell it to another Glock 26 owner who also loves the .22: narrower market, I'm sure.

I'm going there now: lunch time! Remind me not to sneak reads of post encouraging me to spend money: my wife if going to say, "Is this ammo" like she did when she saw the Visa bill this month. :laugh:

NOTE: Saved by the "bell," I did the order and my cmp just "spun" and I called them and they are having trouble and their IT dept. is trying to fix it!
    I'll try again at home or tomorrow!

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. I can get these locally for the same money since I'd have to pay the FFL fees at the Grab/Gun price (maybe shipping also), but still appreciate the tip.

Ok, had not priced them honestly, just got it in an email today. For the penny pinchers among us, there is no sales tax (at time of sale) when buying from Grab a Gun. Shipping is $7.99 and USDS (Greenwood) and I'm sure there are others, charges $15 cash for transfers.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ok, had not priced them honestly, just got it in an email today. For the penny pinchers among us, there is no sales tax (at time of sale) when buying from Grab a Gun. Shipping is $7.99 and USDS (Greenwood) and I'm sure there are others, charges $15 cash for transfers.

1. Original order went through after 30 minutes. I noticed on my phone I had an email confirmation!
    2. How will I ever explain to my wife how I'm shopping online at work? :dunno:
    3. It is funny. They took my "new" regular cmp b/c it was not working and I used my "old" backup cmp that has just sat on top of a file all year, and it somehow doesn't screen out many of the "forbidden" websties: some yes.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I almost started a new thread with my next insights, but I thought my "ad nausem" approach to researching things to death might cause mental anguish to the few people who are reading this. :laugh:

I take seriously the recommendations of the Ruger Mark 4 (and the Buck Mark) and have been turned on to the Target model and have a chance to buy one for $360 used from a member here (about 25ish% less than retail where I buy new: $470 w/tax), but I wanted it it used for $300 (about 33-36ish% less than retail).

What gives my pause is that there are other Mark 4 models for $350ish w/tax new.
    And, there is that Buck Mark Micro Bull for $260 ($280 w/tax) at Rural King.
    The Ruger Target has the 5.5 inch barrel and the Micro Bull is a 4" but from what I've read, for old guys that can't see anyway, that isn't an issue. :laugh:
    I recognize the possibility that I will regret not buying the $360 Ruger Target off a member here who I trust and have bought off of before.
    We had a most pleasant time of processing about this and I believe he was just trying to be helpful since he coincidentally is going to move to another gun from the Ruger Target, and didn't want me to "settle" for the Buck Mark (b/c of his good experience and his wifen), new and $100ish less expensive).
    If I should just spend the money to get new, I get that and thought of that.

At this point, since I'm selling my Bersa Thunder .22LR and even my Smith Compact 22 (b/c my other 4 semis: RIA XT 1911, GSG 1911, Smith 22A-1 and Beretta Neos shoot better), I don't mind spending a little more (if I "need" to and "get" more) to get the Ruger Target instead of a Buck Mark.
    Even capable of getting a Smith 41 if I ever shot one and it lived up to the hype.
    Since I enjoy my other semi-autos so much (my prized GSG with the $500 upgrades being the next weakest as compared to the other 3), it could be that I wouldn't notice the nuances with my eyes and shooting ability and I would not measure/take advantage of a "superior" gun anyway.
    Yes, I realize, as having been mentioned before: I could be the weak link. :rofl:

I imagine I will be told it doesn't matter: just do something and shut-up about it. :lmfao:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You CAN overthink this.

Thank God you aren't in the market for a perfect hammer.

1. You'll be glad to know I buy my hammers fairly indiscriminately: yard sales and Harbor Freight.
    2. You should see me if my wife needs a new vacuum cleaner every decade. :ugh:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    See, you ARE overthinking this. IF you don't recognize a proper hammer, what are you doing buying a firearm? :)

It's a .22. Unless you are going to shoot Eley Match out of it, accuracy has limitation in a $300 pistol.

Get the Browning. Buy a TacSol barrel if you want greater accuracy. Then move on to your next vacuum cleaner purchase. :)

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    See, you ARE overthinking this. IF you don't recognize a proper hammer, what are you doing buying a firearm? :)

It's a .22. Unless you are going to shoot Eley Match out of it, accuracy has limitation in a $300 pistol.

Get the Browning. But a TacSol barrel if you want greater accuracy. Then move on to your next vacuum cleaner purchase. :)

1. You guys are sooo funny, and I enjoy the banter so! :thumbsup:
    2. Another vote for the Buck Mark.
    3. My quest is not total accuracy, just fun with what I've got and I don't mind paying a little more for a better tool, w/i limits.
    4. I am preparing for retirement and so I am trying to have the most fun without going crazy.
    5. If the range had both guns, I could put this to rest quickly.
    6. I really can't imagine something beating out what I'm shooting now (RIA XT, Smith A-1, and Beretta Neos), which shows how limited my experience and proletariat my tastes are. I am a common man and nearly any toy amuses. :laugh:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    As much as you enjoy your Neos, I doubt that you will love a Buckmark, MK4 or even the venerable S&W 41 enough over the Neos to make the purchase worthwhile, except for playing the "I must try everything" game aspect.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As much as you enjoy your Neos, I doubt that you will love a Buckmark, MK4 or even the venerable S&W 41 enough over the Neos to make the purchase worthwhile, except for playing the "I must try everything" game aspect.

1. gmcttr, I look forward to your input more than anyone b/c you have met me, been to the range with me and probably "get me" more than those that just read my nonsense. :thumbsup:
    2. I hear you and I am so curious about what others say is better than the rest in the crowd.
    4. I only got $1625 in all 6 of my semi-autos and I'm selling $550 worth of them, and will have only $1075 left in the 4 I'm keeping that are "the best" and sooo much fun b/c of their differences.
    5. Therefore, if a gun is going to cost me more than the mean of $270 that I have in the remaining four: it will have to be worth it.
    6. You do understand the "I must try everything" approach that I have: it's not costing me anything, except the 20% ($55) loss on the Bersa Thunder .22LR b/c I bought new, and the bit of loss on the SW MP Compact if I sell it at $300 b/c I bought it new (won't be listed till after surgery recovery (2 wks. anticipated).
    7. I don't mind losing on a new gun, but not a used gun if I buy right.
    8. For example, if the Ruger Mark 4 Target that I could buy from a member here for $360 was a Stainless steel: I'd do it. I have my weaknesses. :laugh:
    9. Townmarshall twice let me take his guns to the range to try out before I bought: once I bought, but not the other 2 guns (Kahr 9mms). It was quite a compliment to me how he trusted me and I appreciated it. Of course, we had quite a history, buying and selling "a few" guns between us: I really liked him and trusted him.
    10. I wonder gmttr, how many of the above mentioned guns have you shot?
    11. I don't know whether you are speaking of your personal experience or what your friends have told you of theirs (either is valid to me).

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I've fired your Neos, my Ruger MKII and MKIII 5.5" bull barrel. Have only dry fired a Buckmark a few yeas ago, but have a 1969 Browning Challenger (a predecessor to the Buckmark line). It has been decades since I tried someone else's S&W Model 41.

I have not fired a Ruger MKIV but I assume it's feel and accuracy will be similar to the MKII and MKIII.

I would expect a Buckmark to have a little better trigger feel than the MKIV "out of the box" and similar accuracy. I installed a Volquartsen accurizing kit my MKIII which gives it a wonderful trigger.

The Ruger MKIV's come in two different frame styles. The Target and similar models have a more angled grip while the 22/45 has a grip angle that matches a 1911.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've fired your Neos, my Ruger MKII and MKIII 5.5" bull barrel. Have only dry fired a Buckmark a few yeas ago, but have a 1969 Browning Challenger (a predecessor to the Buckmark line). It has been decades since I tried someone else's S&W Model 41.
    I have not fired a Ruger MKIV but I assume it's feel and accuracy will be similar to the MKII and MKIII.
    I would expect a Buckmark to have a little better trigger feel than the MKIV "out of the box" and similar accuracy. I installed a Volquartsen accurizing kit my MKIII which gives it a wonderful trigger.
    The Ruger MKIV's come in two different frame styles. The Target and similar models have a more angled grip while the 22/45 has a grip angle that matches a 1911.

1. You tease, my friend. You own and have shot the Ruger Mark series and MY Neos, and yet you don't say if the Ruger shoots the same as the Neos or a little better, some better, or substantially better than my humble Neos.
    2. I am not going to get the 22/45: it's lighter I've been told, and I don't need another 1911 style ( have the RIA and GSG for that).

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    1. You tease, my friend. You own and have shot the Ruger Mark series and MY Neos, and yet you don't say if the Ruger shoots the same as the Neos or a little better, some better, or substantially better than my humble Neos...

We will have to find out later this summer. I didn't shoot your NEOS enough to form a strong opinion but I'm betting my MK III with the Volquartsen trigger/sear/hammer upgrades will have a crisper trigger. I've also been shooting the Mark platform for over 40 years so I'm a bit partial to them.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    thats a pretty good price. if you are in the market, i dont think its a bad deal at all.

1. Yes, I was hoping I could get feedback from those who knew if I should abandon all other pursuits at this time and get the Ruger Mark 4 Target and forget about other Ruger models, or forget about the Buck Mark series in lieu of the Ruger Mark 4 Target.
    2. Mixed results: sometimes people who don't want to air their opinions b/c of criticism (unlike me who knows that is how the quickest learning takes place :laugh:), will pm me their opinions b/c they know I am a keeper of secrets. :coffee:

Top Bottom