Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

As The Wheel Turns - .357 Edition

Well, after selling my custom SP101 3" a few years ago, I am once again in the wheel-gun game. I was gifted a beautiful GP100 (Talo unfluted cylinder edition) in .357 magnum over the holiday and have to say that I absolutely LOVE the way this wheel-gun shoots. After receiving this lovely pistol I proceeded to doing the obligatory IBOK trigger job, which included spring changes, hammer shims and knowing exactly where to stone the action to give it a wonderful sub 2lb SA and 6lb DA trigger pull.

If you have never shot a custom-trigger Ruger wheel-gun in DA mode, you are really missing something special. The generous ledge at the end of the trigger pull allows for the easiest trigger-staging of any revolver that I have ever shot... I find DA to be more accurate and predictable than SA by a county mile.

My new GP100 with my preferred SD ammo

6 DA off-hand Shots at 25 Yards on a wet snowy day
    Last edited by gglass; 2 Weeks Ago at 15:42.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

User Info Menu

Looks good and nice shooting.

User Info Menu

Very nice. I just had a trigger job done on my 22 year old Taurus Model 44. Single action it was around 2lb. Double action felt like 50lb. It's now around 8lb and still around 2lb single action. Double action it's super smooth now. Huge difference. Best $35 I ever spent.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

-----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Im on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

Snowman's Blocker aka Bandit mcapo's Avatar

User Info Menu

Good stuff, right there, gglass.

The correct answer is quite often 357 magnum.

Don't blame me....it is Turbo's fault.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    Well, after selling my custom SP101 3" a few years ago, I am once again in the wheel-gun game. I was gifted a beautiful GP100 (Talo unfluted cylinder edition) in .357 magnum over the holiday and have to say that I absolutely LOVE the way this wheel-gun shoots. After receiving this lovely pistol I proceeded to doing the obligatory IBOK trigger job, which included spring changes, hammer shims and knowing exactly where to stone the action to give it a wonderful sub 2lb SA and 6lb DA trigger pull.

If you have never shot a custom-trigger Ruger wheel-gun in DA mode, you are really missing something special. The generous ledge at the end of the trigger pull allows for the easiest trigger-staging of any revolver that I have ever shot... I find DA to be more accurate and predictable than SA by a county mile.

6 DA off-hand Shots at 25 Yards on a wet snowy day
    Looks great...and I love the un-fluted cylinder look...that really sets it off!
    I have a Davidson's 5" GP100...and I love it...needs some trigger work though!
    I still have my 3" SP101...it's awesome and it'll never leave the stable!
    Stupid should hurt!!! ~ Amishman44

User Info Menu

Congrats on getting back into the wheel gun game.
    88 (aka 88, the mad scientist)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Amishman44 View Post
    Looks great...and I love the un-fluted cylinder look...that really sets it off!
    I have a Davidson's 5" GP100...and I love it...needs some trigger work though!
    I still have my 3" SP101...it's awesome and it'll never leave the stable!
    Thanks Amishman44,

If you really want it, the trigger job is exactly the same on both the GP100 and the SP101. There are several good videos explaining how it is done, and I can tell you from experience that a blind, dyslexic monkey could do it... I'm the perfect example.

I really recommend the Mcarbo Trigger Spring & Shim Kit. They even have a decent video on how to do the trigger job. I have done several Ruger revolver trigger jobs over the years, which even goes back to the time when an awesome Ruger gunsmith published a document name the "IBOK Trigger Job", which is really no different than the various how-to videos that are on youtube today. I would not own a Ruger GP or SP revolver without doing the trigger job, since it is such a cheap and easy way to exponentially improve the stock trigger.

If you have any mechanical skills at all, the effort is worth it!
    Last edited by gglass; 2 Weeks Ago at 15:09.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Plinker

User Info Menu

Very nice looking GP100 you have there! I used to own a late 1980s 4" GP100 and wish I had kept it. Myself I can shoot SA far more accurately than DA but have never fired a 6lb DA like you have. If I ever get a GP100 again I'll have to work the trigger like you did or else hire a blind, dyslexic monkey to do it!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Wheel guns are hard to beat. My black plastic ones rarely get shot with the wheel gun options I have. Gotta love a 357 too. What a versatile round and pistol.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast