• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I picked up that Dan Wesson .357 magnum in the Classifieds today.
    I thought the price was good with all the ammo that came with it & I wanted to try it out.
    The trigger on my DW .22LR is sooo sweet & I knew that it would be have to be good on the .357 as well.
    It was a good trigger, but not surprising since the Kimber 6s I have now and 3 other .357s I've had in the past have had great triggers also.

On another target I sighted in the rear adjustable sights since the POI was high & to the right.
    I have the elevation as far down as I can get it & the windage was responsive, as well.
    I was just using some Winchester WBB .38 sp. to dial it in.
    I'll look forward to using some .357 magnums another time. I didn't want to waste them just to get it sighted in.
    LC7P8Bu.jpg

Great job with your DW! What is most impressive to me is that there isn't much difference between the group sizes at 15', 21' and 30'.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Great job with your DW! What is most impressive to me is that there isn't much difference between the group sizes at 15', 21' and 30'.

Nothing like a rest to make a person look good (although that doesn't always work either). :laugh:
    The 30' that was in the middle near the heart looks like the DAO placement I did on the #1 triangle, so I think I forgot to label it as a DAO, but I don't remember. :oldwise:
    I wondered what happened there, but that would explain it. That's my story & I'm sticking to it. :)
    I didn't do 40 or 45 feet b/c I can't see where the rounds are hitting w/o getting out the binoculars. :dunno:

It still seems to have a tendency to shoot low but I can't adjust the rear sight down further.
    I learned to compensate for that on my first few targets I shot on another "page" & the POI is acceptable on this "page" by doing so.
    I was just glad the sights were responsive: not always the case on an older gun.

I once had to buy an elevation spring that was even missing on a gun.
    It was nearly spot on anyway, but I didn't want to sell it w/o it being correct.

I can't wait to put some .357 magnum rounds through it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Silly doddg, you adjust the rear sight UP if the POI is too low, not down !!

I did not communicate well (won't be the first time :dunno:). Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup:
    Allow me to clarify after looking at my post. :coffee:

The POI was high and to the right on a different used target (too busy & marked up to post) at different distances.
    I adjusted the elevation all the way as far as it would go to get the POI down.

As these targets indicate, the elevation is only a slight hair low while at it's lowest adjustment.
    If I go up just 1 click from the bottom of the elevation adjustment: it remained a little high.

I chose to leave the elevation adjustment at its lowest setting (where it is now), rather than up 1 click.
    I'd rather it shoot a "hair" low than a few hairs high. :laugh:

Therefore, the elevation is as precise as the gun will allow, which is at a good place since it is not a precision gun anyway.
    I've had a couple of older SW with fixed sights that shot better or at least the same, which is amazing!
    Fixed sights that actually work have been a premium in my hands.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I did not communicate well (won't be the first time :dunno:). Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup:
    Allow me to clarify after looking at my post. :coffee:

The POI was high and to the right on a different used target (too busy & marked up to post) at different distances.
    I adjusted the elevation all the way as far as it would go to get the POI down.

As these targets indicate, the elevation is only a slight hair low while at it's lowest adjustment.
    If I go up just 1 click from the bottom of the elevation adjustment: it remained a little high.

I chose to leave the elevation adjustment at its lowest setting (where it is now), rather than up 1 click.
    I'd rather it shoot a "hair" low than a few hairs high. :laugh:

Therefore, the elevation is as precise as the gun will allow, which is at a good place since it is not a precision gun anyway.
    I've had a couple of older SW with fixed sights that shot better or at least the same, which is amazing!
    Fixed sights that actually work have been a premium in my hands.

LOL, I knew you had just mistyped what you meant.....just bustin' your balls a bit !!

Congrats on the new toy btw....:):

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have owned several 101's and could never hit a barn from ten feet with any of them. I am quite fond of revolvers, just never had any luck with a 101.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    LOL, I knew you had just mistyped what you meant.....just bustin' your balls a bit !!
    Congrats on the new toy btw....:):

I knew that, but you were right: it was worded upside down. :laugh:
    Actually, it was the most fun I've had today: working on Turbo Tax & spent time talking to someone from there trying to solve and issue & they only made it worse. :dunno:

Yes, you know how much I love a new weekly toy!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally made it back to the range with the Dan Wesson .357 I bought middle of March.
    Seems like months.
    I used .357 magnums through this time after warming it up with .38 specials.
    The DAO w/.357 down around the abdomen is my fault for the NE fliers.
    I couldn't see where the rounds were hitting b/c I thought they were going low in the blue, so I kept aiming higher. :ugh:
    I should have gotten my binoculars out before putting 4 rounds awry. :dunno:
    DUDAXvk.jpg

This is what I posted March 18 when I first bought it.
    LC7P8Bu.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I inherited an older Security Six from my father in law, it had sat in his nightstand for years. When I took it out to shoot I was amazed at the trigger on it, butter smooth in double, and super light in single. I don't think he ever did a trigger job on it, and I don't think he ever shot it enough to smooth it out, must have been a late 70's thing from Ruger....

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Finally made it back to the range with the Dan Wesson .357 I bought middle of March.
    Seems like months.
    I used .357 magnums through this time after warming it up with .38 specials.
    The DAO w/.357 down around the abdomen is my fault for the NE fliers.
    I couldn't see where the rounds were hitting b/c I thought they were going low in the blue, so I kept aiming higher. :ugh:
    I should have gotten my binoculars out before putting 4 rounds awry. :dunno:
    DUDAXvk.jpg

This is what I posted March 18 when I first bought it.
    LC7P8Bu.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

Some fine shooting there Doddg!

The only update I have is that my GP100 is currently at the gunsmith where I am having it engraved. As soon as I pick it up I'll post a pic of what I had done.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Some fine shooting there Doddg!

The only update I have is that my GP100 is currently at the gunsmith where I am having it engraved. As soon as I pick it up I'll post a pic of what I had done.[/QUOTE]

Engraving?! Sounds like a keeper! :thumbsup:
    I wouldn't dare engrave a gun. I only have 2 guns that I've owned for more than a year.
    I have 2 guns right now that I don't need, but I can't let go yet.
    I really really love shooting both of them: a CZ Rami w/Cajun full package & unexpectedly, a Kahr CT. :dunno:
    In .22LR I like to "cycle" guns, having bought 6 guns this year that I've had before just b/c I missed them (sold 3 of them already). :)

Been waiting for someone to point out didn't spell Wesson correctly. :ugh:
    It seems like I've had a dozen different .357 revolvers, and their is something about the Dan Wesson that makes me want to hang on to it.
    I enjoy owning & shooting a heavier & older gun, so I justify it as a "house" gun with a side benefit of having a range gun that I can shoot both .38 specials & the .357 magnums.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Yes Doddg, this is a keeper! Unless I find a guy named Joe to sell it to someday. :rolleyes:

I designed this image to be laser etched by my gunsmith. Since I know that Joe, who passed away after purchasing it, bought the handgun to someday use for hunting deer, I knew what I had to do. After Joe's wife gifted the gun to me, I started a quest to make this Ruger into the ultimate deer Ruger.

The etching is my way of honoring Joe. I had the etch done to the bottom of the full-length lug since it seemed to be a way to honor Joe without creating a billboard... I think Joe would have loved it!

7h14Vsrl.jpg

HAHZP9Ml.jpg

Last edited:

BigOgre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2020
    USA
    That's a nice looking revolver. I traded my gp100 some years ago that I payed just over $300 dollars for new and have regretted it ever since.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    That's a nice looking revolver. I traded my gp100 some years ago that I payed just over $300 dollars for new and have regretted it ever since.

Join the club , did the same thing many years ago and paid about the same price you did too. One I wish I had back.

Top Bottom