• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm just getting started at this and for me even 25' is a far greater challenge than 20'. You guys talking 25-50 yards is quite out of my league, for now.
    Can't wait

Not me! gglass is the one who can handle those distances!
    I have to have a scope to see much beyond 30', maybe 40' on a good day with the right color on the target.

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    Thanks Amishman44,

If you really want it, the trigger job is exactly the same on both the GP100 and the SP101. There are several good videos explaining how it is done, and I can tell you from experience that a blind, dyslexic monkey could do it... I'm the perfect example.

I really recommend the Mcarbo Trigger Spring & Shim Kit. They even have a decent video on how to do the trigger job. I have done several Ruger revolver trigger jobs over the years, which even goes back to the time when an awesome Ruger gunsmith published a document name the "IBOK Trigger Job", which is really no different than the various how-to videos that are on youtube today. I would not own a Ruger GP or SP revolver without doing the trigger job, since it is such a cheap and easy way to exponentially improve the stock trigger.

If you have any mechanical skills at all, the effort is worth it!

I think I'm going to order this kit.
    How long does it take to install?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    doddg,

I've been watching your improvements in shooting for a couple years now, and have to say that you are becoming a skilled shooter for sure. As for pinpoint accuracy, the only way to know how skilled you are is to shoot at very small things. Even when I shoot at something the size of a full torso target, I'll usually paste some small contrasting color circles onto various points so that I can really focus on getting small. Try the "small" drill instead of the torso drill, and I think that you will find that your bulls-eye skills are much more developed than you think.

I should also confess that any bulls-eye skills that I may have completely fall apart when speed and movement are added to the equation. I posted a soul cleansing thread a couple months ago where I had to express how humbled I was during a practical-shooting training exercise, where I actually felt like I had never shot a gun in my life... It was an eye opener!

Thanks for the compliments, but I can only lay claim to 25 yards (not 50) in the latest post and the video link I provided. I have shot 50 yard and 100 yards quite a few times, but can say with all certainty that the groups are not nearly as small as what I just posted here.

Have fun and be safe!

:nono:

[video=youtube;fyWirJjuO5I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWirJjuO5I[/video]

:):

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART

I've done this trigger job a few times, so it takes only about 45 minutes with all of the polishing and testing.

Having never disassembled a Ruger DA revolver before would add quite a bit of time due to learning the trigger system as you go.

Good luck and have fun.

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    Yeah. You aged yourself there, but I'm right there with you my friend.
    I truly believe that the world was more simple and a better place.
    But then again, I'm also the guy constantly telling the grand kids to close the door and yelling at the neighbor kids to get off my lawn.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Thanks Amishman44,

If you really want it, the trigger job is exactly the same on both the GP100 and the SP101. There are several good videos explaining how it is done, and I can tell you from experience that a blind, dyslexic monkey could do it... I'm the perfect example.

I really recommend the Mcarbo Trigger Spring & Shim Kit. They even have a decent video on how to do the trigger job. I have done several Ruger revolver trigger jobs over the years, which even goes back to the time when an awesome Ruger gunsmith published a document name the "IBOK Trigger Job", which is really no different than the various how-to videos that are on youtube today. I would not own a Ruger GP or SP revolver without doing the trigger job, since it is such a cheap and easy way to exponentially improve the stock trigger.

Thx...I was questioning which way to go with springs and shims...I'll look into those!

In the past, I've just installed Wolff springs and did some light sanding, but never installed shims...I have a 3" SP101 that I've been considering working on and now I think I'll give it a shot again!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Thx...I was questioning which way to go with springs and shims...I'll look into those!

In the past, I've just installed Wolff springs and did some light sanding, but never installed shims...I have a 3" SP101 that I've been considering working on and now I think I'll give it a shot again!

Just follow the directions in the video posted on the Mcarbo site and you'll do just fine... Have fun!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My buddy down the street had the album...7th grade IIRC....All I know is after that album any time we heard one of our parents query, "do you mind if I smoke?" we'd counter with a "no...do you mind if I fart?"

:joke:

LOL, We must be near the same age, because I remember doing the exact same thing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have not put enough time in behind this one yet to get it where I want it. That will change soon.

rSX7aB8.jpg

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART

Vic Z,

Here is another great link to aid in performing a trigger job on the GP100 or SP101. This one is laid out more like a guide book and reminds me of the original IBOK (Iowegan's Book of Knowledge) pages that I went by with my first Ruger trigger job years ago.

Ruger SP101 Trigger Job Guide

I hope this helps.

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    Thank you
    That's a really good set of instructions.
    My hands are big and my patience small.
    Will get some help for sure.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Thanks Amishman44,

GGlass...I went ahead and ordered a Trigger / Spring / Shim kit from Mcarbo for my SP101...after watching the video, it doesn't look difficult at all and I'm sure it'll give me
    the 'buttery-smooth' trigger I want with 1/2 the trigger pull...which will make for a great EDC little revolver! Looking forward to getting it completed and everything installed!
    I'm thinkin' this would be an excellent installation kit and trigger job for a DAO SP101!
    Q: Do you recommend any Wolff Springs as a replacement for the hammer spring in the process?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    GGlass...I went ahead and ordered a Trigger / Spring / Shim kit from Mcarbo for my SP101...after watching the video, it doesn't look difficult at all and I'm sure it'll give me
    the 'buttery-smooth' trigger I want with 1/2 the trigger pull...which will make for a great EDC little revolver! Looking forward to getting it completed and everything installed!
    I'm thinkin' this would be an excellent installation kit and trigger job for a DAO SP101!
    Q: Do you recommend any Wolff Springs as a replacement for the hammer spring in the process?

I'm sure you will do a great job.

You have both the hammer and the trigger springs in the Mcarbo kit. You need no other springs to perform the trigger job.

Good luck, and have fun.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Just wanted to jump in here and thank gglass for the post and everybody for the info in this thread.

I bought a GP100 6" .357 last summer as my first revolver and have really enjoyed it. But I also like to tinker and after reading this couldn't leave well enough alone, this trigger job is amazing! Just got it put back together this morning and haven't got to shoot it yet but I can tell it will be great.

This was actually my first real experience at a trigger job and polishing and have to say the video at mcarbo's site was very helpful.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Just wanted to jump in here and thank gglass for the post and everybody for the info in this thread.

I bought a GP100 6" .357 last summer as my first revolver and have really enjoyed it. But I also like to tinker and after reading this couldn't leave well enough alone, this trigger job is amazing! Just got it put back together this morning and haven't got to shoot it yet but I can tell it will be great.

This was actually my first real experience at a trigger job and polishing and have to say the video at mcarbo's site was very helpful.

Awesome...let us know???
    Q: How long did it take you to do the trigger job....I'm guessing it'll take 90+ minutes from start to finish...at least for a first one?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Awesome...let us know???
    Q: How long did it take you to do the trigger job....I'm guessing it'll take 90+ minutes from start to finish...at least for a first one?
    I probably spent a couple of hours with it at least, not hurrying at all, I watched the whole video clear through, starting and stopping as needed, which wasn't much because he was so detailed. The only things I wasn't sure about that he didn't show in great detail (liability?) was how much to polish the sear, so I was guessing at that, having never done anything like this before, never even really had a revolver apart. My GP100 was a little different than the gun in his video, I think a few parts were shaped differently but no big deal. When he says take it apart under a rag to prevent a spring from flying, well, that's pretty good advice and worked well. And it all went back together very nicely. I think I could do the next one in under an hour.

Top Bottom