• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • It is hypocritical?

• Total voters
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Is it hypocritical of actors who would advocate gun control and restriction to make money acting in films in which the character they play uses guns that would make most of us salivate to own?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Yup, I would probably boycott any such movie that I was aware of that fits this description. But then, most of the action movies I watch are of the Clint Eastwood/John Wayne category, and I think I am safe in saying they are both fairly pro 2nd amendment.

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    I would say that is right up there with all the thugs that stole and dealt in drugs and stolen guns, etc. saying that its not right to pirate their music. Also like models getting their own talk shows to speak out against the objectification women in the media.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    No

No. An actor by definition is someone that makes a living portraying someone they are not. What you see on the screen is pure fantasy. The thing that bothers me most about the Hollywood types is when they attempt to carry their fantasy persona off the stage to express a personal opinion as though a character they portrayed as a job of work could be used to lend credence to their opinions. :rolleyes: :noway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Is it hypocritical for action stars who speak out against murder to commit murder in their action films? What about bank robbery? Computer cracking? How about just speeding? Films are not real life and they don't reflect the beliefs and values of either the creators or the consumers. If they did, we would call them "documentaries" and they would be as dull as dirt.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Joe Mantegna (actor on Criminal Minds and host of the new Gun Stories) discussed this subject pretty well in the October (digital edition) American Rifleman. I'm not sure if linking to this will work but I'll try. This particular subject was one of many he discussed so you will have to find the paragraph or 3 that pertains to it within the article.
    American Rifleman September 2011

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Actors are by definition the best liars in society.

Why would we put stock in anything they say about anything at all?

I'd disagree with you. I class them as a far second place. Politicians clearly have the first place slot tied up.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Joe Mantegna (actor on Criminal Minds and host of the new Gun Stories) discussed this subject pretty well in the October (digital edition) American Rifleman. I'm not sure if linking to this will work but I'll try. This particular subject was one of many he discussed so you will have to find the paragraph or 3 that pertains to it within the article.
    American Rifleman September 2011

Anyone else notice what this gentleman and scholar listed as his favorite gun?

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have mixed emotions about the subject. On one hand, I think it is hypocritical to make something look very cool and make others want to look like them and then turn around and criticize anyone who attempts to. Most of us would not fall into that category of easily influenced people, however. On the other hand, actors are generally no better than common street hookers because most of them will take any part they can for money. I consider the opinions of the liberals in Hollywood to be less than worthless since they are just airhead mouthpieces for some far left liberal cause. Now the conservatives in Hollywood, I will generally listen to what they have to say. I do have to admit to being a little biased.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Isn't it hypocritical to decry the worthlessness of actors but still happily hand over money to them to perform for you?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Is it hypocritical for action stars who speak out against murder to commit murder in their action films? What about bank robbery? Computer cracking? How about just speeding? Films are not real life and they don't reflect the beliefs and values of either the creators or the consumers. If they did, we would call them "documentaries" and they would be as dull as dirt.

Well said. :yesway:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Wow, not a big deal (it is hard to gauge level of seriousness in writing :D) but this thread is pretty good at making you think....when and where is it more of a big deal and less of a big deal to be hard lined on every aspect of everything. (not saying folks here are doing that but to exaggerate to make a point...) You could also look at it as the actor being a professional by taking on roles that require them to behave differently than they would in real life. Unique to their jobs is the fact that they are hired to play a role. That is entirely different than you or I acting like one person at times then another at other times (that is an integrity issue).
    This isn't meant to be a hack on the contributors of this thread but what are examples of times you give leeway and times you draw the line?

(from this point on this is a thread jack so I'm starting a new thread)
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2212704#post2212704

I can think of many times people here on INGO hear a report and announce a decision based on a single item to not (insert action here). The "action" may be...(not all INGO examples but stuff I thought of that seems similar.)
    -Political candidate that has one line item you don't agree with...no vote for you!
    -You find out your dentist takes Medicaid and you are opposed to all forms of gov. support....Don't go to that dentist?
    -the thread on State Farm and their -3 positions on guns and training...I wouldn't use them.
    -Places of business that are not 2A friendly...no business from me.

I'm curious of examples you can remember having to think about and decide whether or not it was a big enough of a deal to limit or exclude that person or business or service from your list of possibilities.
    Please share.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom