• It is hypocritical?

• Total voters

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I voted no. The characters actors portray are not reflections of themselves. Is it hypocritical to do something in any job which one personally disagrees with? Most everyone on this board disagrees with the political correctness which pervades our society. Yet I'm sure not one of you who works in a corporate environment strays from the conventions of politically correct speech at work, especially in any official capacity. Your job is not necessarily who you are. It is what you do. So to say actors are hypocritical for portraying action based roles is ludicrous, IMHO.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm of two minds about this. Actors, just like any other person, are perfectly free to believe whatever they want and be as "hypocritical" as any of the rest of us are (and, realistically, most of us are hypocritical about at least one aspect of our personal philosophy.) However, the problem, as I see it, is that prominent actors are given a much broader audience for their hypocrisy than most of us get. That folks give their views any more credence than any other individual is basically a flaw in them rather than a realistic knock on any particular celebrity.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have mixed emotions about the subject. On one hand, I think it is hypocritical to make something look very cool and make others want to look like them and then turn around and criticize anyone who attempts to. Most of us would not fall into that category of easily influenced people, however. On the other hand, actors are generally no better than common street hookers because most of them will take any part they can for money. I consider the opinions of the liberals in Hollywood to be less than worthless since they are just airhead mouthpieces for some far left liberal cause. Now the conservatives in Hollywood, I will generally listen to what they have to say. I do have to admit to being a little biased.

Yeah how dare they take roles that pay them money. They are whores because they like to make a living and dont consult you on what roles to take.

Never mind the fact that pretty much everyone who is a non actor has a job to make money. Id venture a guess that most do not do what they would like in a perfect world. Does that make them whores too?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think what is more hypocritical is that the Hollywood elite all own firearms themselves (many directors, producers, actors have amazing collections) all the while speaking out against you owning firearms.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Is it hypocritical of actors who would advocate gun control and restriction to make money acting in films in which the character they play uses guns that would make most of us salivate to own?

I think it is far more hypocritical of them to denounce the use of guns and gun ownership, yet hire bodyguards that are armed. Rosie O'Donnell is a perfect example.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I think what is more hypocritical is that the Hollywood elite all own firearms themselves (many directors, producers, actors have amazing collections) all the while speaking out against you owning firearms.

Did you have anyone specific in mind, such as (1) an individual who speaks out against against firearms and (2) personally owns a collection?

Or is your comment directed Hollywood film folks in the aggregate in general?

Just curious.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Actors' lives and reputations

are generally not worth the paper their lines are printed on. Babes in bikinis included. Make-believe is exactly that: sham and lies, often with a preconceived Libertarian moral, ethic, and mind-set. "Yes, I AM a whore, plus I play one on TV." EvilBlackGun

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Did you have anyone specific in mind, such as (1) an individual who speaks out against against firearms and (2) personally owns a collection?

There are many, but how about Stephen Spielberg? What a collection!

All Hollywood actors have guns, the support they render for gun control is based on: guilt for having it so good, and/or it is part of the "in" ideology in Hollywood and in order to work you have to toe the party line.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I have to vote 'no' on this one. Actors have a job like everyone else here. Just because they would play a role in a movie who uses a firearm, but speak against the use and ownership of firearms outside of their job does not make them a hypocrite. What would make them a hypocrite is if they actually owned a firearm and then went off and did all of the anti-gun crap.

It's the exact same thing as all of us pro-2A people who can't carry at work because our workplace does not allow it. Therefore, everyone who voted 'yes' for this and does not carry at work is also a hypocrite. Your boss doesn't let you carry at work, their boss is forcing them to carry at work...

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I wonder how many of the actors that "support" gun control and then act in action movies really do have a conviction on gun control. How many support it because its what "is done" in Hollywood and what gets them "in"?

If I recall correctly because of his political views both on guns and other things, Tom Selleck started his own production company.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...Tom Selleck....

Aw Jeeze, you said it! :facepalm:

I'll just leave this here...

i%20drool%20Bib.jpg

JetGirl in 5....4....3....