Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Questions About Probation

Question for the group, especially you legal experts.

One of the people that I live with recently got put on probation, one of the terms of which is that no firearms can be present in the residence. I've been getting nagged to get all of my guns out of the house, and the only options they're offering is either a storage unit or another relative.

My main issue other than being punished for somebody else's stupidity, is the legal and liability issues that I can see. For one, since I'm the owner of the guns in question, can I get in trouble if they're stored somewhere other than my house. The other major issue is that one firearm is a registered SBR, and as I've tried to explain to these people, I have to be in control of it, not somebody else.

My question to y'all is, what are my options as a good law-abiding citizen?

Myself, I would remove the person on probation from the house before I would remove my firearms. The way I see it is they are the problem, not your guns. However, if your guns are secured as they should be and said person has no access to the guns then why must they be removed?
    “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” ― Benjamin Franklin

I totally agree with you, and the guns are secured in a safe when not in use. I'm the only one in the house who knows the combination also. The problem is I've been getting nagged for the past 3 days because I didn't immediately sign up for a storage unit or go to a family members house for something I had nothing to do with. I'm half tempted to call the probation dept and see what the deal is.

Expert
    If you decide that you MUST remove your firearms (punishing YOU) rather than removing the person on probation, you could put the receiver of your SBR in a bank safety deposit box - that way it is still under your control

Quote Originally Posted by PKendall317 View Post
    I totally agree with you, and the guns are secured in a safe when not in use. I'm the only one in the house who knows the combination also. The problem is I've been getting nagged for the past 3 days because I didn't immediately sign up for a storage unit or go to a family members house for something I had nothing to do with. I'm half tempted to call the probation dept and see what the deal is.
    I guess it depends on how much you like this person and/or need them around to get your rent paid. You could tell him he's the one that caused this problem. If the guns have to be put in storage, he needs to pony up the money. It's not your relative's problem he screwed up and you don't believe in placing burdens on them they don't deserve. The other option is for him to remove himself from the vicinity of the legally owned and possessed firearms--he could go lean on his relatives or pay for his own new living quarters.
    Unapologetic Abolitionist

Tough situation, don't know what the probation is for and what the relationship is, but people talk, and you could come home to find your house emptied of guns either way. SBR receiver needs to go to the bank box like HK said.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Holy crap!? How is this even a question??!

THEY are the source of their own problems. How about some personal responsibility?
    THEY are pressuring YOU because of their problem!?
    GTFO of here.

If they were worth a **** as a person they wouldn't put YOU in this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinNFluff View Post
    At a family gathering, my sister was getting ready to leave. She walked up and gave me a hug and said "Your phone is poking me." I smiled and replied simply with "That's not my phone".
    Quote Originally Posted by Leggdpms View Post
    ...he said alright sir and shaked my hard and said he has respect...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow8088 View Post
    I cocked my head to the side a little and was admiring his piece.

This isn't like your mom or something, is it? Anything else and someone would be leaving.

I Care...Really

I agree with Moving him out. He caused the issue. Why are you being nagged. Are these people anti's..??
    Do you own the house..??
    Are you rooming with these people...??
    Can you find another place..??

No way in hell I would allow myself to be subjected to this.

All I know is that whem Bo and Luke were on probation, they couldn't have guns...but apparently compound bows with dynamite arrows were just fine.

"I was unarmed except for my wits...so I was unarmed."

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast