Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Their house, their rules.
    Doesn't matter if you lock it up, etc.
    They paid the money for the house.

Your choice is to find another place for you, or for the guns.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One last question. Can I legally store an NFA Item at my sister's house and not face legal consequences? For that matter can I store my other guns there and not face some sort of liability issue if something were to happen.

IANAL but I think that could get her in trouble since she is in possession. (NFA only) If you have a trust, put her on it and she would be OK. If not as somebody said up thread bank safe deposit boxes or a storage locker.

Then again, as long as nothing happens to cause "da man" to search her house she would be fine. Not a gamble I would take personally.

I would only store the non NFA stuff at her place and ONLY in a safe/ locked gun storage box. How cheap are small storage units? And another vote for dumba** sister reimbursing you for your storage costs if possible.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Try to talk to you parents without yelling. Then after that, looks like you and dad will be moving your safe to your good sister's house for the time being. Or sell the guns and GTFO on your own. Guns can be re-purchased down the road. Personal space and freedom are much more valuable than personal possessions.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    storage units get broke into. not a good idea. go talk to the probation officer and find out if u can store in the same house if they are locked up in your room and she does not have access to them

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Perhaps I didn't give enough detail. The house is my parents, and in the people who live there are Me, Mom, Dad, and dumb a** baby Sister whose on probation. The probation is for a theft charge and my understanding is after a year of unsupervised probation the charge becomes a misdemeanor.

The problem right now is Mom and Dad won't stop nagging me about the guns since Wednesday, when keep in mind my main priority was getting my Jeep fixed so that it wasn't sitting on the side of the road, not to mention 2 jobs and they haven't figured out why I haven't immediately complied and moved everything to my older Sisters. Dad apparently assumed that I'd just do it because he asked politely, and we all know what they say about assuming.

And I have thought about moving out for awhile, my problem now is I'm not getting forced out of my house because of somebody else's stupidity, at least not without a fight.
    It's NOT YOUR house, it's belongs to your parents! Buck up and do what they say, or find your own way! Now I'm sorry I answered before ALL the facts were presented!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    One last question. Can I legally store an NFA Item at my sister's house and not face legal consequences? For that matter can I store my other guns there and not face some sort of liability issue if something were to happen.

If you keep it in a safe that only you can open & have a contract renting the room.. It would be the same as you renting a U-store place.. You are the tenet and so it is your stuff there..

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    As noted, not your house so you gotta comply with the rules. Move you or your guns...doesn't sound like you can move so unless you can demonstrate to Mom and Dad that the terms of probation are not what they think they are, you gotta move those guns.

As for the NFA item(s), try not to let anyone have possession of them that shouldn't have possession of them. That puts them at risk for committing a crime, and you at risk for losing your NFA item.

PM me if you want to store your non-NFA items at my house, I live about 15 minutes from Mooresville.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    storage units get broke into. not a good idea. go talk to the probation officer and find out if u can store in the same house if they are locked up in your room and she does not have access to them

Guy Relford, talked about this .....

YOU, HAVE to KNOW, what the probation says .....

NO ACESS to firearms ..... OR

NO firearms PRESENT, AT ALL .....

These are the TWO, $64.00 questions .....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you keep it in a safe that only you can open & have a contract renting the room.. It would be the same as you renting a U-store place.. You are the tenet and so it is your stuff there..

This seems like a good idea. $1/month rental for 1 room on written contract to store your vault.

Guy Relford, talked about this .....

YOU, HAVE to KNOW, what the probation says .....

NO ACESS to firearms ..... OR

NO firearms PRESENT, AT ALL .....

These are the TWO, $64.00 questions .....

As I recall from the last time this came up, you cant prove a negative. That is why locked up in the same house doesnt (usually) work; how do you prove that she doesnt know the combination to the safe? (hint, you cant)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    PKendall317:

I would make it clear to your parents that you have additional responsibilities associated with the NFA item that they might not understand and that you can't just drop it off with your other sister. If that doesn't make any difference to them, I would out the NFA item in a bank box, secure the other stuff somewhere (maybe the same bank box), then find a new place to live.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I would say, take "all" yer guns to yer older sisters. It may be a pain in the rear, but if yer other sister is a moron anyway, she will probably screw up down the road anyway, so just be nice for now to yer folks, even if they are favoring the fool in the family, heh. Of course the one hidden on yer hip does not count. As far as the NFA , no clue their, sorry.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Mainly cash. I'd like to move out but they have nasty habits of setting unrealistic time frames and goals.

Weird, I set the timeline to move out my parents' house. I was making $5/hr and $50 for every car I sold...and that wasn't worth much more in 1991 than it is now. What do I know about the struggles today's kids face? I was only living on my own, paying for college and working the dealership job and was a part-time 11B for my Uncle; to be fair, he helped pay for college. I know, things are tough today. I just knew that at age 20, it was time.

Anyhoo, whatever living arrangement you work out with your parents is between you and them, but you seem pretty demanding toward people providing a place for you to live.

Good luck finding a legal place to store your guns. I hope it works out for you.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I came of age in the 70's, I don't remember living at home as being an option back then once you got out of school.
    I was married at 21, graduated college the next year, first kid the year after that.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I came of age in the 70's, I don't remember living at home as being an option back then once you got out of school.
    I was married at 21, graduated college the next year, first kid the year after that.

Dude, you just don't understand (HoughMade was married at 21, graduated college 2 years later and had a kid while still in law school). Young people today just have it so much harder than us older gents.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Dude, you just don't understand (HoughMade was married at 21, graduated college 2 years later and had a kid while still in law school). Young people today just have it so much harder than us older gents.

We stopped raising our youth to be adults many years ago.

Now it's the job of the parents to pay for college, health insurance, electronics and all other costs until they are "adults" at 27... :rolleyes:

A lot of "kids" now days don't even begin to understand responsibility until they are near thirty.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom