Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post

If we can't even convince our own children of the importance of the 2d Amendment and self-defense in general, we are only a few years (or a couple of decades) away from losing it all.
    I think gun owners greatly underestimate the psychological impact of mass shooting crazies on children. They are now doing active shooter drills for kids as young as kindergarten. These drills do nothing but terrify the children. They all innately know that the school is inadequately prepared to deal with that sort situation and they are all sitting ducks. They are too young to experience and understand the benefits of private firearm ownership, but are presented with frightening realities that make them feel vulnerable. Of course kids being raised today will have an aversion to 2A. It doesn't make sense in the context of their world.

User Info Menu

I have 4 kids, 22, 20, 16 and 14. All believe firmly in gun rights. All believe in the inalienable right to self-defense. All understand why we have the 2nd Amendment.

All were home schooled.

But to make new converts, I believe we start with the right to self-defense and build on that. Heck, we can even use their distrust of a govt run by Donald Trump to work on them.

As for mass shootings, the focus needs to be on the evil/mental illness (you can have both) of the shooter.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

But to make new converts, I believe we start with the right to self-defense and build on that. Heck, we can even use their distrust of a govt run by Donald Trump to work on them.
    Which brings to mind this article:
    http://monsterhunternation.com/2016/...gun-ownership/
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

I have 4 kids, 22, 20, 16 and 14. All believe firmly in gun rights. All believe in the inalienable right to self-defense. All understand why we have the 2nd Amendment.

All were home schooled.

As for mass shootings, the focus needs to be on the evil/mental illness (you can have both) of the shooter.
    That is a good idea.

"If you are so worried that Trump is going to turn the country into a Nazi Like dictatorship. Why would you want to confiscate AR15's and other similar weapons? How will you fight a tyrant government if you just have single shot firearms for hunting only?"
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wakproductions View Post
    I think gun owners greatly underestimate the psychological impact of mass shooting crazies on children. They are now doing active shooter drills for kids as young as kindergarten. These drills do nothing but terrify the children. They all innately know that the school is inadequately prepared to deal with that sort situation and they are all sitting ducks. They are too young to experience and understand the benefits of private firearm ownership, but are presented with frightening realities that make them feel vulnerable. Of course kids being raised today will have an aversion to 2A. It doesn't make sense in the context of their world.
    I felt the same way about the duck and cover drills. It didn’t lead to the elimination of all nuclear weapons.

Plinker

User Info Menu

1. Give him the book "Restricting Handguns - the Liberal Skeptics Speak Out"

new - https://www.amazon.com/Restricting-H.../dp/0884270335
    used - https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...=used&qid=&sr=

2. Send him the link to Kates' (a liberal criminologist) article - "Guns and Public Health - epidemic of violence, or pandemic of propaganda...?

tell him to start with section XIII if he has a short attention span - https://guncite.com/journals/tennmed.html

3. After he's read all the above, refer him to the general GunCite website 'Journal Articles' section - https://guncite.com/journals/

4. Or if he's less academically-inclined, their 'General Articles' section - https://guncite.com/

He will see that being 'liberal' (what a misnomer these days) doesn't require an anti-gun attitude.
    Last edited by AJMD429; 2 Days Ago at 07:58.

User Info Menu

There's no common ground to be found.

Either you believe the constitution is absolute or you do not believe in this country and its values. The constitution makes exceedingly clear that ANY regulation of ANY kind on arms is illegal and an act of treason.

Just "enforcing the laws we have already" is already a treasonous crime. That's not an acceptable stance, not of an individual who seeks to claim they are American.
    You can always deal with the criminal by responding to the crime, and making it easier to have a faster response. That is lawful under the constitution.

Quite easy to make mass shootings a thing of the past. Outlaw no-gun-zones and bring back firearms and firearms safety training to school. And also bring back actual respect instilling punishment for schools.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American.... [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.)
    The James Madison Research Library and Information Center

Last edited by Tombs; 14 Hours Ago at 23:54.
    "Fiat justitia ruat caelum" - Trey Gowdy

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6