Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Deer AR15 Upper

User Info Menu

Deer AR15 Upper

Anyone use an AR15 for deer? I ask because I am debating building a 6.5 Grendel for coyotes and hogs. What caliber do you use, if you do? I wanna be able to just switch the uppers and head out for whatever my day is planned for.
    Quote Originally Posted by LockStocksAndBarrel View Post
    Good point, stephen87! As usual it was well thought out, concise, and well, brilliant.

Expert

User Info Menu

300 BO for us. Simple as a barrel only or upper swap. 110gr Barnes Tac-TX is a deer slayer. No brainer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitsandGravy View Post
    300 BO for us. Simple as a barrel only or upper swap. 110gr Barnes Tac-TX is a deer slayer. No brainer.
    That waa one round I was debating. I was just hoping to hear other inout before I decided. It will be a full buuld, not just and upper. My aunt has property in another state with higs and coyotes and only AR is an SBR, so it's a pain to take it to her property.
    Quote Originally Posted by LockStocksAndBarrel View Post
    Good point, stephen87! As usual it was well thought out, concise, and well, brilliant.

User Info Menu

My 300 BO is short barrel. Can't use my SBR for deer here. I built a pistol lower and might use that.

I put a can on mine which on a 16" barrel will be unwieldy at best. Wish they would come up with some subsonic rounds that would work as good as the 110gr.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I would go with a 6.5 grendel over the 300 blackout, unless you have to shoot with a suppressor.

6.5 will deliver more energy on the deer at every range, and has a much longer effective range. Even at 400 yards you're still going to be over 1,000 ft pds with the grendel.

If you're using Hornady full boar 300 BO, you'd only be at 1,000 ft pds at 100 yards or closer. The Hornady 6.5 SST offering is 1,600 at 100 yds.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stephen87 View Post
    That waa one round I was debating. I was just hoping to hear other inout before I decided. It will be a full buuld, not just and upper. My aunt has property in another state with higs and coyotes and only AR is an SBR, so it's a pain to take it to her property.
    Solid copper- 4 petal design. 'DRT' in one shot. Ask my Son. We zeroed at 100, very accurate. Designed for 300BO. https://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tac-tx/

Pricey but thats what we hunt with. We'll re-zero before the season with the Barnes then game on. If you reload, I would recommend CFE-BLK or Shooters World Blackout. Lil-Gun works but is much harder on your gear.

Last edited by BiscuitsandGravy; 5 Days Ago at 09:05.

User Info Menu

If I was picking just for Indiana deer at the ranges I usually kill them, a 450 Bushy would be perfect. But in your situation, unless you want to have the ability to go subsonic/suppressed, the 6.5 Grendel is probably the most versatile of the bunch.
    Just call me lollipop.

Expert

User Info Menu

What is your goal for creating an AR-15 for deer hunting?

I don't necessarily need to know the answer, but you do.

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

6.5 Grendel for power, accuracy, and long range shooting ability. If 300 yards, or under 7.62x39 in an ar platform is amazingly accurate. I'd go with 7.62x39 over the 300 blackout every time.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    . If 300 yards, or under 7.62x39 in an ar platform is amazingly accurate. I'd go with 7.62x39 over the 300 blackout every time.
    My sentiments exactly. Or just buy a non-Bubba'd SKS and use it (I have successfully).
    "You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent"-Fundamentals of chess 1883

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast