• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I hunt close timber here in Washington County with a 7.62 X 39 AR. Lots of cheap ammo for practice and I use the Hornady SST load for the actual hunt.
    Still out of spec for public hunts. :( I have access now to private land, but I want to set myself up for public hunts in case I don't always have access to private land.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    6.8 spc for private property, 450 bushmaster for public land .
    The 6.8 has a stronger bolt than the 6.5 . Better hunting bullet selection and will run with , if not out do the 6.5 to 400 yards . Jm2c

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I've been using 300 blackout for the last few years. Started with a 16" rifle and then built a 8.5" pistol because my access to private land is dwindling.
    First round I tried was 110gr hollow point round from Ozark Ordnance before they went under. It performed beautifully.
    Second round I tried was 110gr V-max that I hand loaded. It's been super accurate at the range and took down a small buck for me last year.
    This year I'm working on a 125gr SST round.

All of my shots have been within 100 yards and I expect that most of my shots will be within that range. I'm still waiting on my suppressor to come home, which is another reason for using the 8.5" pistol. IMO, 300BO is going to be a great option for private and public land if you configure it in a pistol package. It's even more versatile if you can build your own handloads, though there are some great factory loads as well.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My der AR upper is a .458 SOCOM. 325 FTX handloads or a 300 gr. JHP does the trick. I have a 325 gr. lead load for range use that is the same point of aim as the FTX load. Much cheaper than factory ammo. I have been kicking around the idea of a 6.5 Grendel upper for general use across fields behind the house. Still haven't made my mind up though.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Probably won't do the 300BLK pistol. I already have an SBR, so no reason for a pistol too.

Can't use the SBR with .300 BO on public lands tho. That is another reason I built a pistol lower. Take the vert grip off and put that upper on there. I keep the same sights, short barrel and my nested can.

Not really much interest for me to hunt public land, but the option is there.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    GrendelGrendelGrendel.

More power and reach than blackout or 7.62x39. I did a 12.5” so it would still be handy with a suppressor, and hunting with a pistol avoids the silly 10 round limit on person. (Not that I’m using that many, but it’s still silly.)

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I've been using 300 blackout for the last few years. Started with a 16" rifle and then built a 8.5" pistol because my access to private land is dwindling.
    First round I tried was 110gr hollow point round from Ozark Ordnance before they went under. It performed beautifully.
    Second round I tried was 110gr V-max that I hand loaded. It's been super accurate at the range and took down a small buck for me last year.

All of my shots have been within 100 yards and I expect that most of my shots will be within that range. I'm still waiting on my suppressor to come home, which is another reason for using the 8.5" pistol. IMO, 300BO is going to be a great option for private and public land if you configure it in a pistol package. It's even more versatile if you can build your own handloads, though there are some great factory loads as well.

Not to thread jack the OP's question but buy a box of Barnes TacTX 110 Black tips to reload. You'll be impressed. They were made for 300BO.

Now back to our regular programming... :ingo: and :patriot:

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    I bought a 18" 450 Bushmaster upper for my AR. Being a public land hunter, that's what I chose. It's far more accurate than a shotgun, but recoil is still stout although not 12ga slug stout.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Can't use the SBR with .300 BO on public lands tho. That is another reason I built a pistol lower. Take the vert grip off and put that upper on there. I keep the same sights, short barrel and my nested can.

Not really much interest for me to hunt public land, but the option is there.

I understand that. I want the ease of taking a rifle across state lines without paperwork to the ATF. I don't want to build two lowers. I want one lower with two uppers.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    6.8 spc for private property, 450 bushmaster for public land .
    The 6.8 has a stronger bolt than the 6.5 . Better hunting bullet selection and will run with , if not out do the 6.5 to 400 yards . Jm2c
    This is the route I am currently going. Big enough for deer small enough for coyote and deadly on hogs (from what I can gather). That being said don't plan on finding ammo or reloading powder close to home.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I used a 458 socom for a few years. Little expensive to shoot, but does the trick.
    Have killed 2 with this. Complete pass through. If you hit shoulder plan on losing meat. No doubt this will kill hogs. Too much thump and not enough range for coyotes. My upper is an awesome tack driver with a rainbow trajectory.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If it was me, I'd go with the Grendel. Especially with yotes you're going to want as much range as you can get. Plenty of oomph for deer and hogs without a excessive recoil. Ammo is easy to find, even Walmart sells it, for now anyway.

O.k., actually that is what I plan on doing later this winter for a super-duper yote rifle. Had to pass a few shots on them last winter due to lack of confidence in getting a killing shot with 223. Also since I deer hunt on private land I'll have a dandy bad weather rifle when I don't want to risk messing up my wood stocked Tikka. And I just really like 6.5's.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy

I shot a young buck with the V-Max a few years ago out of my 16" 300 BO. It really did a number on the upper shoulder and neck muscle far beyond the entrance/exit wound. Turned it to jelly a solid 6" around the entrance wound and I believe the exit if I recall correctly. Dropped him where he stood. Only deer I ever shot with this round as I started using the Tac-Tx the next year after reading that was probably a more appropriate round for deer larger than the one I shot with VMAX.

I also recommend the Tax-Tx. I've shot maybe 6 or 7 deer with it and other than one where my shot placement was iffy, they all dropped really quickly.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    .458 SOCOM. A general purpose 300 grain JHP is moving at over 1800 fps and will work on all kinds of critters. There are plenty of loads to pick from to tailor what you are hunting. I get ~1.5 MOA out of the 300 gr JHP @ 100 yards. I was going to use it for hog hunting but never got into the sport.

https://www.sbrammunition.com/458-SOCOM_c_23.html

Ammo can be anywhere from 250 grain ~2000 fps to 550 grain subsonic.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I would go with a 6.5 grendel over the 300 blackout, unless you have to shoot with a suppressor.

6.5 will deliver more energy on the deer at every range, and has a much longer effective range. Even at 400 yards you're still going to be over 1,000 ft pds with the grendel.

If you're using Hornady full boar 300 BO, you'd only be at 1,000 ft pds at 100 yards or closer. The Hornady 6.5 SST offering is 1,600 at 100 yds.
    I have 300BO pistol and 16” Grendel. In the woods 300. In the field Grendel.

Top Bottom