• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Hey INGO.
    This is my first try on making a car bag, and I've done it on a budget with mostly stuff that's just laying around my house.
    I'm not old enough to legally have firearms in my car, so that is a major missing component here.
    This bag is not necessarily a SHTF/Emergency bag, but just a bag to be prepared for stuff I may encounter in my adventures and every day errands. The bag just kinda keeps it organized and contained as well as mobile and convenient.

The following will be pictures of what I have and my description. I welcome and encourage any comments and suggestions! But be easy on me! My pictures aren't the greatest. Sorry guys, I'm just a guy with a digital camera.

Before anyone says anything, I know I am currently missing:

My Minimalist FAK
    Road Flare
    100 MPH/Duct Tape
    E-tool

Without further ado:

Here is the bag itself. I went with the LAPG 3-Day Bag. It's cheap and I had one sitting in the basement from when I used to be heavy into milsim airsoft.
    100_5024.jpg

Let's move onto that bottom pocket. On the outside I have 1 of each writing utensil. Pencil, pen, sharpie.
    100_5025.jpg

Exterior view of compartment
    100_5027.jpg

Compenents:
    Eye Care kit (glasses, contact solution (can also flush eyes with it in emergency), eye drops, contact case)
    Other conveniences: 2 Water bottles, 3x granola bars, Icy-Hot patch, Army hat the recruiter gave me, 1x Bic lighter in a waterproof pill container.
    100_5028.jpg

100_5029.jpg

Side view of the pack:
    You can see my cheap aluminum water bottle. It contains kindle to start fires. The container itself should keep the contents dry, and in an event that I needed to boil water or cook, I should be able to use it for that.
    100_5030.jpg

My Sogfari:
    Never know what you may need a machete for!
    100_5031.jpg

Top pouch external view:
    There is still some room here, not quite sure what will go here.
    100_5032.jpg

Contents:
    Blackhawk Fleece Gloves, Oakleys, wipe soft case, and hard case. Also a condom. Never know when you could need one..personally don't want to be having kids at my age. I'm sure there are other tactical uses for them as well
    100_5033.jpg

Top side view of bag:
    Hrmm, wonder whats in that ACU pouch.
    100_5034.jpg

ACU pouch contains:
    Aleve and Tylenol mix.
    100_5035.jpg

Top view of bag:
    Can't get it closed cause the 'hawk is in the way. So I used a carabiner, never hurts to have a spare. You can see my spare blue one as well as red utility knife in this picture.
    100_5036.jpg

Main compartment:
    Pretty full
    100_5037.jpg

Contents:
    Cold Steel 'Hawk, 5.11 HRT Urban Boots with 5.11 Socks (not wool, need to come up with some..) Jeans, colombia fleece hooded zip-up, large size t-shirt, small fleece blanket.
    100_5038.jpg

Almost forgot to include paracord. Here's 100 feet.
    100_5039.jpg

Most of you will have noticed the lack of a knife. Here is my EDC
    100_5040.jpg

I originally put this HSGI rifle scabbard on here for my AR, but I'm not sure It will get used for that. For now it contains 2 pairs of zip-cuffs. They have a variety of using other than just restraining people. Any suggestions to use the scabbard for? Either way, it adds a ton of MOLLE real estate.
    100_5041.jpg

I'm using some of that real estate for this empty pouch. I may put the FAK in this if it will fit.
    100_5026.jpg

Laslty, I strapped a spare Maxpedition dump pouch on the waist strap for the bag. I use it for a trash can for receipts/wrappers.
    100_5042.jpg

100_5043.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!
    I anticipate any comments/advice you guys have and I appreciate you taking the time to look and help me out.

Last edited:

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Is there a way for my to copy & paste my original post with my picture links included? o.O

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Yes, highlight it, right click, copy.. Paste it whereever you want.

Good post, thanks for sharing..

When I do that it won't copy my links, it copies the images themselves and it doesn't work in other forums. Like arfcom. But then again I'm hesitant to post this there.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    After all the car bag and BOB and BOL and food storage threads, I have to wonder about how bad the economy would be without preppers....just sayin'

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    Thats the first time ive seen a condom in a BOB. Good idea...Maybe I should throw a 12 pack in there....Im taking SWBMO if I hafta bug out anyways.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Well I for one can open a sharpie with one hand. Then again I do prestidigitation for a living.

For the record, the retractable sharpies do not always close. You need to make sure it does or it will dry out as well.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Thoughts on this light for the bag ?

Good price for me, good brand (Fenix is on par with 4Sevens if I recall)

also, I've added some items per advice and relocated the tomahawk (with a new handle wrap).
    Removed the earlier zip tie cuffs and added some that weren't already formed into the cuff shape.

Pictures:

New additions:
    100_5044.jpg

Relocated the 'hawk to allow bag to close (sheath is in the mail...)
    100_5050.jpg

Used the cobra stitch to make a nice wrap for myself
    100_5046.jpg

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Really nice kit Ambu.

I agree that clothing, esp. inclement weather clothing, is a priority. So I'd add a rain suit...GoreTex is great but expensive. I use my rain coat more than anything else out of my car bag.

If I were a younger man (<18 YO), I'd probably lose the machete. And probably the hatchet as well. Could cause trouble with the "authorities", and likely won't be needed often.

Consider adding "wet-ones" or similar wipes, a few paper towels, and some water proof matches in a waterproof container. Maybe a few regular zip ties, and a small role of electrical tape.

The Fenix light looks real good, the Fenix's I have are great.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you and all the INGOers.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Really nice kit Ambu.

I agree that clothing, esp. inclement weather clothing, is a priority. So I'd add a rain suit...GoreTex is great but expensive. I use my rain coat more than anything else out of my car bag.

If I were a younger man (<18 YO), I'd probably lose the machete. And probably the hatchet as well. Could cause trouble with the "authorities", and likely won't be needed often.

Consider adding "wet-ones" or similar wipes, a few paper towels, and some water proof matches in a waterproof container. Maybe a few regular zip ties, and a small role of electrical tape.

The Fenix light looks real good, the Fenix's I have are great.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you and all the INGOers.

I actually have some goretex flecktarn sitting around here...I will look for it.

I keep the machete and hatchet because I am often out with friends and we want to make a fire or things along that line, could really use them..

I'm more or less a high-tech redneck :)

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Good to see a young guy kicking ass. Is that knife a leatherman skeletool? I just got one not long ago and it's great. I put my first car kit together as soon as I had a car. One suggestion for the car kit if not the bag is a shovel of some kind. Great piece of kit, especially in winter.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Affirm with schapm - keep rocking it junior! It's a great start on a kit, and you're a big step ahead of a lot of people, regardless of their age. :yesway:

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Good to see a young guy kicking ass. Is that knife a leatherman skeletool? I just got one not long ago and it's great. I put my first car kit together as soon as I had a car. One suggestion for the car kit if not the bag is a shovel of some kind. Great piece of kit, especially in winter.

Leatherman skeletool it is! I got it from Dick's Sporting Goods on Black Friday for ~$30. That's a steal on a Leatherman!

I also have a Leatherman Wave I'm considering adding to the BOB

Update; Got my FAK/Truama Kit pretty much squared away. Still need a tourniquet though.
    Israeli bandage is in the mail...

100_5059.jpg

100_5060.jpg

100_5062.jpg

100_5057.jpg

Added another pouch
    100_5063.jpg

Decided to externalize the boots to allow for a nice gortex jacket
    100_5056.jpg

100_5054.jpg

100_5055.jpg

Also added some duck tape
    100_5051.jpg

Also added foodstuffs and some gum in case I'm out and about and need some.
    100_5052.jpg

Found one of my paracord ties in that area. forgot it was there.
    100_5053.jpg

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Couple things I noticed from your pictures.

Water bottle, boots an dduct tape swinging around will get to bothering you. Secure everything you can the best you can. Tuck the water bottle under some side straps, use the boot laces to secure the boots. Tape can be hung on a side strap

Put clothes in bags, plastic zip locks, doubled up..

Just some suggestions..

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Wow Ambu you're old enough to drive now? I hope you don't drive on the streets like you drive that go-cart of yours!

Anyway man the kit looks good, oh and hey tell your dad I said hey.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Well I for one can open a sharpie with one hand. Then again I do prestidigitation for a living.

For the record, the retractable sharpies do not always close. You need to make sure it does or it will dry out as well.
    Mine always retract, mine are tactical. I use them daily but I do always give it a visual inspection after clicking. On a good day I can straighten all my fingers. No digitation here. Can you open it AND hang on to the cap with one hand?

On a serious note, grease pencils are even more reliable, no cap needed. To the OP, plan for old age now in your gear.

Top Bottom