• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I guess im a bit confuse on the title/purpose.

A car bag, BOB, EDC bag, etc etc. All the items he mentioned are things i would include in my BOB. So is this his BOB or his EDC (Every day carry) car bag?

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette

A car bag, BOB, EDC bag, etc etc. All the items he mentioned are things i would include in my BOB. So is this his BOB or his EDC (Every day carry) car bag?

I think the OP has the makings of a couple of different kits here. Definitely not what I'd call an EDC bag, but could probably grow into a separate BOB/GHB and car kit as more gear is added.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Can someone please give me a scenario where you might use half this stuff?:n00b:

He's changing his tire in the middle of a sleet storm deep in the Hoosier National Forest. He gets a gash in his forearm while doing that, so needs to use his FAK.

He's also totally soaked through now, and hypothermia is setting in. So having a change of clothes is saving his bacon.

The Cherokee wont start for some reason, so now, he's going to need to either sleep in the car, or if it gets to cold, improvise a shelter, and build a fire.

Personally, I'd add some meals to the pack, as well as some water, and water filtration (sorry if it's in there already.)

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    He's changing his tire in the middle of a sleet storm deep in the Hoosier National Forest. He gets a gash in his forearm while doing that, so needs to use his FAK.

He's also totally soaked through now, and hypothermia is setting in. So having a change of clothes is saving his bacon.

The Cherokee wont start for some reason, so now, he's going to need to either sleep in the car, or if it gets to cold, improvise a shelter, and build a fire.

Personally, I'd add some meals to the pack, as well as some water, and water filtration (sorry if it's in there already.)

Cool

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne

Don't get hung up on names/titles. Its gear available when he needs it.

It could be his GBFOS bag and be gtg.

(Garbage Bag Full Of Sh**)

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I agree with the last few posts completely. I know the OP and he has a good mindset toward general preparedness, so I'm sure he will be moving on with all of these suggestions in mind.

Ambu I do agree with the food sentiment though. My car bag currently has water, Clif bars, powerbars, ramen noodles, and two cans of tuna. As much as I hate tuna, I can stomach it as is without cooking it if I have to and the can could also be used to boil water. I'm not a fan of MRE's as convenient as they may be, I'd rather have something that tastes like food (not guaranteed with every MRE).

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I agree with the last few posts completely. I know the OP and he has a good mindset toward general preparedness, so I'm sure he will be moving on with all of these suggestions in mind.

Ambu I do agree with the food sentiment though. My car bag currently has water, Clif bars, powerbars, ramen noodles, and two cans of tuna. As much as I hate tuna, I can stomach it as is without cooking it if I have to and the can could also be used to boil water. I'm not a fan of MRE's as convenient as they may be, I'd rather have something that tastes like food (not guaranteed with every MRE).

I hadn't thought about using the can itself to cook the food. Brainfart.

I've been hesitant to add most foodstuffs because then that would require cooking materials (pots/pans/etc) but I hadn't considered cooking them on the stove.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

I've been hesitant to add most foodstuffs because then that would require cooking materials (pots/pans/etc) but I hadn't considered cooking them on the stove.
    If you engine is operational you have a Cookstove and an Oven of sorts...
    Just remember to place a small hole in the cans... ;)
    I know this from experience... :popcorn:

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    If you engine is operational you have a Cookstove and an Oven of sorts...
    Just remember to place a small hole in the cans... ;)
    I know this from experience... :popcorn:
    Also a great idea. Hadn't considered it
    Considering my jeep is a tank, the engine should always be operational. ;)

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    OP,
    First, great job getting a bag prepared and in your vehicle. I've been preparing to do one for a while now and haven't gotten around to it. Hopefully, you will provide the inspiration I need to get going on this in the next week.

I would like to point out one type of item I see that may become a hindrance. A likely scenario being that you become stranded, especially in the winter, you will need clothing. I would get away from any cotton, though. The fleece blanket, and jeans will both become very heavy and lose any insulation properties that they once had if they become wet. Look for a nice pair of polyester, waterproof pants. They will never be as warm as jeans (especially if you get the lined ones) but dry and slightly cold is better than wet any day.

Bradis II has a few waterproof items like blankets, parkas, sleeping bag, etc. that are cheap, extremely lightweight, and take up very little room in your bag. I do keep fleece in my car but it will stay there unless I leave for one night and intend to throw it out after one use.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Fleece doesn't lose its insulation properties when wet, but rather wicks the moisture toward the outer layers. It also dries about 10 times quicker than wool. Fleece is the only thing I use now, wool is just too heavy in comparison. However, my fleece is always a mid layer so I have something to wick it to.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Fleece doesn't lose its insulation properties when wet, but rather wicks the moisture toward the outer layers. It also dries about 10 times quicker than wool. Fleece is the only thing I use now, wool is just too heavy in comparison. However, my fleece is always a mid layer so I have something to wick it to.

I was mistaken on the fleece. Thanks for the correction

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Oh lordy, my Dad used an esbit stove and a cans of soup in the arctic in 1949. I have the pics to prove it. Our family still uses the hell out of them today. Only mine has a modified alcohol stove that fits in it, but esbit fuel is in my pack as well.

Pack some canned food items in your vehicle, put the esbit stove in your pack. However, do not use any cans with pop tops. They can pop if hit hard enough, trust me on that one. I keep cans in cat sand buckets, the rectangular ones.

Open, heat, eat, reuse can as needed to boil water etc.....

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    First off, congrats on beign more prepared for an emergency than most people out there. It says a lot for you to be looking towards the future and planning ahead.

My first thoughts when I saw the pictures, and please don't offended by this, but between the hatchet and machette I was wondering if you were getting ready for a Haiti earthquake, or just watched "Last of the Mohicans". If those are tools you use regularly than that's fine, but having both in the car is gonna look a little crazy the next time you get pulled over. Here's what I'd suggest instead, 1.) Get a regular GI E-Tool and sharpen one edge. That's what I've got in my vehicle and it'll do anything I need it to. You bought the SOG tool and I could see that replacing both your hatchet and machette so I think you're on the right track. 2.) If you're concerned about personal safety and can't have a gun in the car for whatever reason (I can't because of my job) I think you should consider a sling shot. Most people view them as a childs toy, but in the right hands they could cause some damage and you've increased your distance over a hatchet.

Another thing I noticed is that's a really big roll of duct tape. Odds are that you may be just as well off with a roll that's half used up. That's just me being picky and if you want to carry it then that's up to you.

My last thing to nit pick on is water. I didn't see anything there to filter water, but I just bought two of the Berkey Sport bottles off of Amazon for $20 a piece. Amazon.com: Sport Berkey Portable Water Purifier: Sports & Outdoors All you have to do is take the top off and fill the bottle with water and then drink. You can use it to refil bottles or just to chug water along the way. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing, and since most people are planning on having a water bottle in their pack anyway, this is easy to swap.

Overall, I think you did a good job. You've motivated me to update the thread I made like this of my own bag so I can hear the redicule of the internet as well.

Top Bottom