• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    what are the bottle rockets for?

Not entirely sure. I eventually took them out after some consideration.
    I was thinking they could be used for signaling?
    Also, apparently wal-mart does not carry road flares. Where should I look to get some?

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Not entirely sure. I eventually took them out after some consideration.
    I was thinking they could be used for signaling?
    Also, apparently wal-mart does not carry road flares. Where should I look to get some?

Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's might have them.

Also look at TRC, Ace Hardware. After that, I'd probably be just ordering online.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Here's a suggestion as well. For a in-car kit. Note that if you have to bug out of your car, these probably wont do you much good.

a large bag of rock salt OR a box of kitty litter.
    3 ft lenght of a 2x4.
    Tow strap.

Always helpful for getting unstuck, especially in winter.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Here's a suggestion as well. For a in-car kit. Note that if you have to bug out of your car, these probably wont do you much good.

a large bag of rock salt OR a box of kitty litter.
    3 ft lenght of a 2x4.
    Tow strap.

Always helpful for getting unstuck, especially in winter.

I've got tow straps, and I'm soon adding a SOG e-tool
    I'm installing my winch next week as well..

I'm pretty confident my jeep won't get stuck, but I should be prepared to pull others out.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    looks good. if i may offer one suggestion, trade the hawk for a cold steel special forces shovel. it's a lot more versatile and you can sharpen the edge to use as an axe.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    looks good. if i may offer one suggestion, trade the hawk for a cold steel special forces shovel. it's a lot more versatile and you can sharpen the edge to use as an axe.

Getting a SOG e-tool
    SOG Entrenching Tool OVERSTOCK

Can't beat $10.

To much weight....

Not at all! It's very light, maybe 15-20 pounds with the boots hanging on it.
    The bag spends most of its time in my rear cargo compartment. I just turn around and get supplies as needed (gloves, sunglasses, etc). Assuming I have to get the bag and move with it, the boots will be on my feet and the bag will be light and mobile.

Sans the floppy duck tape, but I'm getting shock cord for that soon.

The bag is light enough for me to comfortably walk around with and that's saying alot because right now my back is out of alignment from a wrestling injury.

More updates:
    In case anyone was wondering, here is my specific vehicle.
    100_5067.jpg

Location of bag in vehicle:
    Right behind rear drivers seat. will secure later so it doesn't slide around.
    100_5069.jpg

Came up with 2 much needed items:
    Flares
    100_5068.jpg

Tourniquets:
    Turns out I had 4 sitting around my house. I had some Blackhawk ITS pants that were too small.
    Removed the tourniquets, not sure what to do with pants now.
    100_5064.jpg

100_5065.jpg

Last edited:

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Agree with Jeremy on the weight...it looks like it might be getting "over-thought," and I don't mean that in a negative way. When each of us started prepping, I think most of us probably did the same and tried to prepare for every possibility, which is very easy to do. The gear is good, but too much of it can be a hindrance.

Since you have a vehicle to base off of, I'd pack a separate kit that the heavier, vehicle-specific items can be kept in - maybe a plastic tote or crate. Then your bag can be lighter and allow you to beat feet faster should you need to ditch your vehicle. Not to mention that packing a bag to the seams will stress the zippers unnecessarily.

Remember, a BOB/GHB is a survival kit, not a "living comfortably" kit. Items with more than one use are a godsend, it's a game of ounces, yada, yada, yada, etc., et al, inter alia...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would say this is a better prepared bag than some have in the home. I know of a few.
    My vehicle bag needs some up-grades. Admitting that I learn a lot on this site.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I always take a my kit for a test run after putting them together. If the bag is intended as a 3 day bag, take it and live out of it for 3 days a couple of times a year. Hell you do not even have to leave the comfort of your home for the first attempt...
    If it is in the bag and I have not used by the third time I have trialed the Bag then it is dead weight and removed from the bag. I do the same thing with all my kits. It is quite eye opening the more you start using your kit, on what you do and do not need, or wish you had thought of that...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Agree with Jeremy on the weight...it looks like it might be getting "over-thought," and I don't mean that in a negative way. When each of us started prepping, I think most of us probably did the same and tried to prepare for every possibility, which is very easy to do. The gear is good, but too much of it can be a hindrance.

Since you have a vehicle to base off of, I'd pack a separate kit that the heavier, vehicle-specific items can be kept in - maybe a plastic tote or crate. Then your bag can be lighter and allow you to beat feet faster should you need to ditch your vehicle. Not to mention that packing a bag to the seams will stress the zippers unnecessarily.

Remember, a BOB/GHB is a survival kit, not a "living comfortably" kit. Items with more than one use are a godsend, it's a game of ounces, yada, yada, yada, etc., et al, inter alia...
    What a topic we agree on.... :popcorn:

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    ^ I'm a big fan of the "test-run" idea. It's a simple concept, but not one many people put into practice. I did the same thing with my SAR bag. If I didn't use it in the first two rescues/trainings (of a similar type,) it went back to the drawing board and re-evaluated for weight/use/need.

We don't usually disagree on much, do we Jeremy? :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    ^ I'm a big fan of the "test-run" idea. It's a simple concept, but not one many people put into practice. I did the same thing with my SAR bag. If I didn't use it in the first two rescues/trainings (of a similar type,) it went back to the drawing board and re-evaluated for weight/use/need.
    It is amazing how quick something that you thought would be the most useful item to ever be put in a bag, becomes an anchor.... :popcorn:

We don't usually disagree on much, do we Jeremy? :D
    Nah I just like to screw with you guys in your profession... ;)

Top Bottom