Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Stocking up on ammo and mags.
    Also, I've been getting replacing many of my "single caliber" guns (e.g S&W model 10) with multi-caliber guns (e.g S&W model 13). I figure this will give me a better chance of having a gun to fire almost any ammo I find during another shortage. Unfortunately, I can't afford to have one of each
    So far, I have:
    Glock 23 with a 9mm barrel/mags (40/9mm)
    S&W 13 (38/357)
    Rossi 92 (38/357)
    Ruger Single Six (22lr/22 Mag)
    I'm currently working on getting a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC/45ACP

User Info Menu

I have not been stocking up on ammo like I have in the past. I don't want to catch crap, but I started looking at what I have and some is excessive. I don't shoot .40s&w any more so I got rid of a couple thousand rounds. I still have some (too much) but now I have more room for what I do use.

Need to do another inventory on my 7.62x39 ammo. Last time I shot one of my AKs was when I went to the range with a new shooter. Same with my x54. I bet I haven't shot my Mosin in a decade. Yet I am sitting on probably 2k rounds for it. It won't be my grab and go gun.

Did buy more mags and a complete AR lower during Black Friday deals. This was because I started a cache at a different place and didn't want to lower the quantities on hand here.

Was at wally world a few weeks back getting meds for the MIL and picked up another bulk pack of .22 lr. At least I shoot that.

I need to sit down and have a reality check on some of my stores.

User Info Menu

I honestly think I've probably got enough ammo to shoot for the rest of my life for most all of my guns. As a milsurp collector, I've got some oddballs so I don't need 10's of thousands of rounds of some of those calibers. I'm well-stocked in both loaded ammo and components for my more common calibers (223/5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 9mm, 38 spl., .357, 45 acp, 45 Colt, .22 LR). I've got cases of pmags and dozens of AK mags and VZ2008 mags and AR-10 mags. I'm running out of storage space.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leadeye View Post
    Always looking for lead to melt down.
    Me too now that I have a better understanding on how to cast your own.
    Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one. -Chesty Puller

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Should I be concerned over older generations of Pmags and Lancers?
    In my opinion, Magpul built their reputation on the Gen 1 Pmag's, and the ones I use are still good to go. I have gen 2's and gen 3's and whatever else in the middle, but I don't have any less confidence in a gen 1 pmag then I do in a gen 1 glock. Some of the features and cosmetics have changed, but unless you're trying something quirky you're going to be just fine.

I remember the days of super expensive 22lr, 9mm, 45acp, 5.56 & 308 if you were even fortunate enough to find any for sale. I remember seeing Pmags sell for $150 per mag and aluminum mags for around $100 online on gun auction sites because that's what the free market was willing to pay at the time.

I'm good on mags, ammo is a never ending pit where I'll probably never think I've got enough. For 22lr ammo, I really should make an effort to buy up more of it and start using my training guns for training guns. It wass't that long ago when it would cost the same amount to shoot 5.56 as a 22lr because of the ammo shortage.

As far as reloading supplies go in shtf, in my opinion if you absolutely must crank the handle on a reloader to have ammo on hand you didn't prepare well enough ahead of time. There's certainly a place for reloading and I'm not giving up my equipment, but at today's prices I don't see the saving to be enough to merit reloading versus buying for plinking ammo. With that said, I shoot a lot of long range precision and plan to start reloading match ammo in 338 Lapua this year so I will have to spend some time behind the bench getting loads going.

User Info Menu

This is a weird time to consider the financial aspect of all things guns. We are all looking at a fork in the road where if a Dem. gets elected the prices and availability is likely to get crazy again but if it plays out like all regular people anticipate (Trump gets re-elected) then it will likely be 4 more years of less drama. On the other hand it really is just as likely for the non-POTUS elections to effect the gun related craziness. It is never really going to be a stable situation politically but this is probably going to be considered one of the safest "feeling" times we'll have in the foreseeable future. I say feeling because the prices are not crazy now but the 2A is still taking major hits.
    Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SmileDocHill View Post
    This is a weird time to consider the financial aspect of all things guns. We are all looking at a fork in the road where if a Dem. gets elected the prices and availability is likely to get crazy again but if it plays out like all regular people anticipate (Trump gets re-elected) then it will likely be 4 more years of less drama. On the other hand it really is just as likely for the non-POTUS elections to effect the gun related craziness. It is never really going to be a stable situation politically but this is probably going to be considered one of the safest "feeling" times we'll have in the foreseeable future. I say feeling because the prices are not crazy now but the 2A is still taking major hits.
    My political crystal ball is broken as I thought Hilary was going to beat Trump. I expect that during the election cycle and debates leading up to the actual election we'll see guns, ammo, magazines sales fluctuate quite a bit this year. especially the closer to the finish line we get. Right now, prices and availability on everything are as good as they've been in my lifetime.

User Info Menu

Ammo, Mags, spare parts that wear down/break.
    I believe in NO COMPROMISE GUN OWNERSHIP!! Psalm 144:1

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

Is all the stocking up for your own personal use or is some for selling to others who didn't have the foresight to see the need?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Im on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Is all the stocking up for your own personal use or is some for selling to others who didn't have the foresight to see the need?
    I'm not anyone else's storehouse. I might be convinced to share with friends, but that isn't my goal.

"The problem with internet quotations is that many are not genuine." -Abraham Lincoln

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast