Shhhhhhh, What firearm related stuff are we stocking up on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • apache67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Tipton
    Stocking up on ammo and mags.
    Also, I've been getting replacing many of my "single caliber" guns (e.g S&W model 10) with multi-caliber guns (e.g S&W model 13). I figure this will give me a better chance of having a gun to fire almost any ammo I find during another shortage. Unfortunately, I can't afford to have one of each:(
    So far, I have:
    Glock 23 with a 9mm barrel/mags (40/9mm)
    S&W 13 (38/357)
    Rossi 92 (38/357)
    Ruger Single Six (22lr/22 Mag)
    I'm currently working on getting a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC/45ACP

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have not been stocking up on ammo like I have in the past. I don't want to catch crap, but I started looking at what I have and some is excessive. I don't shoot .40s&w any more so I got rid of a couple thousand rounds. I still have some (too much) but now I have more room for what I do use.

Need to do another inventory on my 7.62x39 ammo. Last time I shot one of my AKs was when I went to the range with a new shooter. Same with my x54. I bet I haven't shot my Mosin in a decade. Yet I am sitting on probably 2k rounds for it. It won't be my grab and go gun.

Did buy more mags and a complete AR lower during Black Friday deals. This was because I started a cache at a different place and didn't want to lower the quantities on hand here.

Was at wally world a few weeks back getting meds for the MIL and picked up another bulk pack of .22 lr. At least I shoot that.

I need to sit down and have a reality check on some of my stores.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I honestly think I've probably got enough ammo to shoot for the rest of my life for most all of my guns. As a milsurp collector, I've got some oddballs so I don't need 10's of thousands of rounds of some of those calibers. I'm well-stocked in both loaded ammo and components for my more common calibers (223/5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 9mm, 38 spl., .357, 45 acp, 45 Colt, .22 LR). I've got cases of pmags and dozens of AK mags and VZ2008 mags and AR-10 mags. I'm running out of storage space.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Should I be concerned over older generations of Pmags and Lancers?

In my opinion, Magpul built their reputation on the Gen 1 Pmag's, and the ones I use are still good to go. I have gen 2's and gen 3's and whatever else in the middle, but I don't have any less confidence in a gen 1 pmag then I do in a gen 1 glock. Some of the features and cosmetics have changed, but unless you're trying something quirky you're going to be just fine.

I remember the days of super expensive 22lr, 9mm, 45acp, 5.56 & 308 if you were even fortunate enough to find any for sale. I remember seeing Pmags sell for $150 per mag and aluminum mags for around $100 online on gun auction sites because that's what the free market was willing to pay at the time.

I'm good on mags, ammo is a never ending pit where I'll probably never think I've got enough. For 22lr ammo, I really should make an effort to buy up more of it and start using my training guns for training guns. It wass't that long ago when it would cost the same amount to shoot 5.56 as a 22lr because of the ammo shortage.

As far as reloading supplies go in shtf, in my opinion if you absolutely must crank the handle on a reloader to have ammo on hand you didn't prepare well enough ahead of time. There's certainly a place for reloading and I'm not giving up my equipment, but at today's prices I don't see the saving to be enough to merit reloading versus buying for plinking ammo. With that said, I shoot a lot of long range precision and plan to start reloading match ammo in 338 Lapua this year so I will have to spend some time behind the bench getting loads going.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    This is a weird time to consider the financial aspect of all things guns. We are all looking at a fork in the road where if a Dem. gets elected the prices and availability is likely to get crazy again but if it plays out like all regular people anticipate (Trump gets re-elected) then it will likely be 4 more years of less drama. On the other hand it really is just as likely for the non-POTUS elections to effect the gun related craziness. It is never really going to be a stable situation politically but this is probably going to be considered one of the safest "feeling" times we'll have in the foreseeable future. I say feeling because the prices are not crazy now but the 2A is still taking major hits.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This is a weird time to consider the financial aspect of all things guns. We are all looking at a fork in the road where if a Dem. gets elected the prices and availability is likely to get crazy again but if it plays out like all regular people anticipate (Trump gets re-elected) then it will likely be 4 more years of less drama. On the other hand it really is just as likely for the non-POTUS elections to effect the gun related craziness. It is never really going to be a stable situation politically but this is probably going to be considered one of the safest "feeling" times we'll have in the foreseeable future. I say feeling because the prices are not crazy now but the 2A is still taking major hits.

My political crystal ball is broken as I thought Hilary was going to beat Trump. I expect that during the election cycle and debates leading up to the actual election we'll see guns, ammo, magazines sales fluctuate quite a bit this year. especially the closer to the finish line we get. Right now, prices and availability on everything are as good as they've been in my lifetime.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is all the stocking up for your own personal use or is some for selling to others who didn't have the foresight to see the need?

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Is all the stocking up for your own personal use or is some for selling to others who didn't have the foresight to see the need?

While I never buy with the intent to sell, I am inclined to help out when I can if someone is looking to buy and I have extra. I figure if enough people have this attitude, tough times are less tough.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

I look at stocking up on ammo and mags as security, bartering and investments. During the last panic buying I promised myself that I'd never get "low" on ammo or mags again. That means something different to everyone. For me, if something awful were to happen I know I'll have family and friend refugees at my house and under my rules. Some will show up armed and others not.

If you have to grease the wheels with people and hand off mags for a favor, then those mags served their purposes.

If you have to hand out mags by the bandoleer to your newly formed fire team, then those mags served their purpose.

If you see mags selling for stupid prices at an online auction and you want to list them and let the free market determine their value that's fine too. I have no problem with people selling at auction and letting people bid, I'm still more than a little bitter about it when "Cheaper Than Dirt" started putting the screws to people with $60 pmags. It was their choice and it's been my choice to never buy from them again.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I remember the ammo prices were very crazy, and supply was none. I had a few boxes per firearm, and noticed 40cal and 12 ga were readily available. Had a couple basics(38 spec, 9mm, 45acp, and a bolt 22lr rifle, Semi Auto 12 ga bird gun).
    I actually bought a Moss 500, AR15, 40cal Shield, numerous hideaway pistols(380acp), mags, ammo, and cleaning supplies. Spare Recoil Springs, grips, and another Moss 500, 8rd Security model. (2 pump guns, same parts). Flashlights, weapon lights, batteries, home supplies(various). Replaced light bulbs to effeciency models in my house, all outdoors checked and working. Installed couple Sensor lights too. Surprise when something crosses their path. I feel prepped, but always looking to better the results of SHTF.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I started reloading handgun ammo during the last ammo scare. Since then I have been slowing stocking up on handloads for the calibers I have. I also have been trying to stay stocked up on components. This will allow me to keep reloading if prices skyrocket again.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Spare parts, extractors, springs, strikers, firing pins, ect. The parts most likely to wear out or break. I can have all the ammo and mags in the world but if the gun goes down over an inexpensive easily replaced part wearing out or breaking then it does me no good. Of course it doesn't mean I'm not also stocking up on the other goodies as well.

rmw250

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 28, 2014
    Kokomo
    Not that I think anything will change but I may stock up on a couple stripped uppers. Other than that magazines, primers and powder.

Top Bottom