Shhhhhhh, What firearm related stuff are we stocking up on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Spare parts, extractors, springs, strikers, firing pins, ect. The parts most likely to wear out or break. I can have all the ammo and mags in the world but if the gun goes down over an inexpensive easily replaced part wearing out or breaking then it does me no good. Of course it doesn't mean I'm not also stocking up on the other goodies as well.

Do you buy "oops kits" for this or do you piece these parts together on experience from breakage? Spare bolts or BCG'S?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Do you buy "oops kits" for this or do you piece these parts together on experience from breakage? Spare bolts or BCG'S?

Spring/pin kits. Firing pins. Spare ignition controls. Gas tubes and blocks. Optics battery's. And more than 1 rifle.

We have a lot of parts. From builds etc. We can keep them running regardless.
    Same with the 1911's.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010

Depends on the firearm. Like most of us, I have a few that I would depend on in a bad situation so they are the ones I have spare parts for. With AR's I keep a couple of lower parts kits on hand along with a spare bolt carrier group, firing pins, extractors and springs, buffer springs, ( the guns I would use in a SHTF situation I put in chrome silicon springs that are rated in the 100,000's of cycles instead of the standard springs which are rated at about 5000 cycles) and gas rings. I also have a couple of oops kits as well. Heck I have a complete spare upper if I need it.

For the pistols I would use I have spare recoil springs, strikers, trigger bar assemblies, extractors and springs. I have a spare barrel or two for them along with a conversion barrel from .40 to 9mm that fits 2 of them. Sometime it pays to have multiples of the same gun due to part interchanging.

Bolt guns I just have a spare firing pin, spring and extractor.

With a little know how and the right tools replacing any of those parts is fairly easy and they are the ones that are most likely to break or wear out.

I also keep several new magazines for those that need them.

Look for sales, buy them cheap and put them away for a rainy days. If you upgrade the gun keep the old parts for spares. My point of view is for the cost of a new gun or two I can stock up enough spare parts to keep the guns I'm intimately familiar with running and if bad goes to worse the gun I know well and shoot well is the one I want.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's a very good point.

I need to put watching for sales of LPK's and BCG's on my list. Also, Gen 5 Glock replacement spring/pin/parts kits.

Any other common platforms replacement parts that would be appropriate to have backups of?

Primer decapper pins come to mind, for one. What other reloading breakage would stop you cold?

What about having parts for platforms that you don't currently have? Remington 700 for example.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    That's a very good point.

I need to put watching for sales of LPK's and BCG's on my list. Also, Gen 5 Glock replacement spring/pin/parts kits.

Any other common platforms replacement parts that would be appropriate to have backups of?

Primer decapper pins come to mind, for one. What other reloading breakage would stop you cold?

I keep at least one full backup set of dies for the calibers I shoot most often and as far 9mm, .223 and .308 I have 2 back up sets. You can pick them up cheap from people selling off their old equipment or catch a good sale. I also have 2 hand primers, 2 scales, a spare set of shell holders, a back up press, chauffeuring and deburring tools, trim tools, etc. Of course I just keep my old equipment as spares as I've upgraded things over the years. I'm kind of a packrat when it come's to hobby's I enjoy, I just can't seem to get rid of anything if I think I may need it down the road.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't have any illusion that post SHTF I'm going to need every gun I have for myself or my family. I don't intentionally worry about spare parts because I have spare guns, or redundancy in any particular guns sweet spot of adding value. Two AR's, two precision bolt guns with well documented and vetted drop charts, glocks of varying sizes. Having said that, I do have a shelf with spare BCG's on it, trigger groups in spare parts bins, and other odd ball parts and pieces laying around from years of tinkering with guns. I'm in the process of thinning out my reloading supplies now and purging stuff I know I will no longer use. I don't keep spare parts for anythign I don't have for the odd chance someone will need me to repair that particular part on their gun for them or barter for it.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Might have a few extra built and stripped lowers I have picked up from guys at work needing cash. Magazines and ammo that I don't reload, primers & powder for the stuff I do reload. Probably should lay in a few stripped uppers now that I think of it. Best case, they get made into something fun later. Worst case, they will be worth three to four times what they cost. I may not advertise and ask that but I saw a lot of posts of people offering that kind of money after Sandy Hook... it was nuts for a while there.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    Ammo, I have stockpiled enough firearms to supply my family and, if needed, trusted friends and neighbors, with weapons, if the need arises.
    But, you can never have enough ammo stashed away.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is everyone stocking up on bulk/budget items or are those who spend more for better stuff?

PSA vs BCM BCG's? Match ammo vs bulk pack?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Is everyone stocking up on bulk/budget items or are those who spend more for better stuff?

PSA vs BCM BCG's? Match ammo vs bulk pack?

Everything I have has been tested and vetted. For example my 20" A2 was tested till the handguards melted and needed replaced. Budget items like that used bushmaster 20" A2 still have to be tested just like an expensive piece of gear. For the line of work we're talking about here, it has to be a vetted piece of gear.

PSA VS BCM BCG's = test them both. I've personally had great luck with both of those. I've also had a brand new cheapo BCG from PSA break an extractor in less than 20 rounds.

Match vs Bulk pack = Match for for long range rifles with drop charts that are tested and confirmed on more than one occasion. Bulk pack ammo can work just fine as well. For example with the help of a spotter buddy of mine I was able to confirm the elevation adjustment on my A2 as far out as it would go to 800 yards before the dial ran out of adjustment and that was with XM193 mil surp bulk pack. That's not precision shooting and it's not repeatable without a spotter, and known distance, but it was an evaluation of the equipment I have on hand, not to mention just some good fun to do.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Ammo, mags spare guns. Means to carry stuff too. I have been meaning to work up some go kits. A cheap surplus shoulder bag with ammo, holster (if applicable), magazines and means to carry magazines. The idea is grab the bag and the gun from the safe, and you have everything you need to run the gun. Possibly the means to clean it too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ammo, mags spare guns. Means to carry stuff too. I have been meaning to work up some go kits. A cheap surplus shoulder bag with ammo, holster (if applicable), magazines and means to carry magazines. The idea is grab the bag and the gun from the safe, and you have everything you need to run the gun. Possibly the means to clean it too.

We just re-made our bug out/truck bag get home back packs.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Any further thinking on this subject with the "pandemic" and political calls for violence in recent days?

What about the new dem front runner saying that this guy will take care of guns for him...

Beto-Drops-Out-1-Nov.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Ordered a couple boxes of ammo from sgammo and noticed they said it could be as late as Thursday for shipment due to high volume.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Ordered a couple boxes of ammo from sgammo and noticed they said it could be as late as Thursday for shipment due to high volume.

Get used to seeing that the closer we get to Nov elections. Depending how that goes, get used to seeing that for the next few years.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll just say that since I had to rearrange things due to the 67 Ishapore Enfield I bought a few weeks ago. I found stuff I forgot I had! But did buy a couple of things for Midway today.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County

SGAmmo is not taking any orders at this time. I tried to get some more .303 a couple of days ago and their website was a no-go. FYI

Top Bottom