• >4x telescope

2 2.67%
  • something besides the above choices

7 9.33%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: your rifle sights for SHTF

User Info Menu

Nice
    You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything. NRA Life Benefactor

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

I like options. BUIS on everything. QD mounts or the like with everything.

If you have to carry it much, any magnified scope gets very heavy very fast. LW RDS wins for a patrol rifle.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Im on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indyjohn View Post
    Viper 1-4 PST with MBUS if the glass breaks. I don't have to use the illumination on the Viper so batteries are not a factor.

This exactly.
    "The problem with internet quotations is that many are not genuine." -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

TA33 acog.

3x, bombproof, doesn't need batteries, and works at night unlike irons. It's also about as likely to fail as irons.
    Do not interrupt your enemy while they are making a mistake.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chevyguy View Post
    Speaking of sights how does one add a front tritium sight to a Remington bead sight barrel?
    XS makes a big dot tritium sight that fits the Remington pedestal. I have one on my HD shotgun.

AR currently wearing an AimPoint Pro RDS and set of MagPul Pro BUIS.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

User Info Menu

Comp M3 and M4 WITH modified carry handle rear irons and flip up front irons. Though I have nearly indestructible red dots and phenomenal battery life it's still fallible electronics.
    Target acquisition for me with the Aimpoints is fast.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tombs View Post
    TA33 acog.

3x, bombproof, doesn't need batteries, and works at night unlike irons. It's also about as likely to fail as irons.
    ^^^^ This is what I wanted for my build but the budget said no.
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tombs View Post
    TA33 acog.

personal preference for a 4x TA31, but fixed power Bindon-style optics w/o batteries (ACOG) is the missing option

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rosejm View Post
    personal preference for a 4x TA31, but fixed power Bindon-style optics w/o batteries (ACOG) is the missing option
    Thanks for opening up my considerations!
    Trijicon ACOGs should have been a choice. Most models don't need batteries, the glass is crystal clear, and they are rugged.
    With fixed magnifications between 1.5x and 6x, one can select their range. I just wouldn't want to much magnification for CQB ranges.
    Maybe the key downside is price, but "buy once, cry once".

From the Trijicon website:
    The ACOG mounted on the M16 service rifle has proven to be the biggest improvement in lethality for the Marine infantryman since the introduction of the M1 Garand in World War II. Major General J.N. Mattis | Commanding General, 1st Marine Division | Operation Iraqi Freedom
    You can ignore reality, but you won't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I am a fan of the 4x ACOG with a preference for the models with the fiber optic tube on top, versus the tritium-only illumination of the TA31NSN I'd used for years before finding a bargain on a TA31F.

But my "something besides the above choices" for a single optic choice would be 1-6X or 1-8x LPVO. The illuminated reticles on these lack the battery life of an Aimpoint red dot, which would be ideal instead at closer ranges, but are at least serviceable at closer ranges at 1x while reaching out to greater distances with the newer LPVO with top ends greater than 4x.

A multiple choice answer is also possible with a 45 degree offset mounted red dot as an immediately available backup for a higher magnification variable scope, especially if it starts above 1x at the lower end. Even if the world was ending, you can fit a 5 year+ supply of Aimpoint batteries in Magpul pistol grip storage compartment.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast