• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thanks for opening up my considerations!
    Trijicon ACOGs should have been a choice. Most models don't need batteries, the glass is crystal clear, and they are rugged.
    With fixed magnifications between 1.5x and 6x, one can select their range. I just wouldn't want to much magnification for CQB ranges.
    Maybe the key downside is price, but "buy once, cry once".

From the Trijicon website:
    “The ACOG[SUP]®[/SUP] mounted on the M16 service rifle has proven to be the biggest improvement in lethality for the Marine infantryman since the introduction of the M1 Garand in World War II.” Major General J.N. Mattis | Commanding General, 1st Marine Division | Operation Iraqi Freedom

The Acog is actually a pretty cheap option for what it offers, they don't market what glass it uses. It's about the cheapest way you can get an optic with schott glass and apochromatic lenses.

The durability, weight, and passive illumination is just icing on the cake.

As far as magnification being an issue, even the 6x TA468 is actually still doable in relatively short distances.
    The TA45 is a really fantastic minimalist option and red dot substitute.

Just stay away from fancy reticles and colors. Unless you're color blind, always buy red. Stay away from green and amber. Amber is for color blind people, and green is just for people who don't realize red works better. The donut of death, triangle, and chevron all work the best under stress and offer all the precision anyone would ever need.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like options. BUIS on everything. QD mounts or the like with everything.

If you have to carry it much, any magnified scope gets very heavy very fast. LW RDS wins for a patrol rifle.

I currently have a LPVO on my AR but am thinking of switching to a red dot. The main reason is I think a RD works better or my cross dominance issue.

The weight factor just gave me another reason to consider the change.

i'm going to shoot my pistol for the next couple months to be sure I really do like the red dot before I start changing everything out. We'll see.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Eotech 512 with magpul popup buis, perfect co witness. If that fails I have a simple redot. Final resort is a 3x9 scope and the good old fashioned ar carry handle sights (removable handle) on the backup ar. Iron sights on the M1 and the M1A. That should cover most problems that I can forsee!

Cracker

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 10, 2020
    Hanover
    A guy can do worse than a set of solid steel military irons.

Having said that, the A1 sight in a forged upper is remarkably durable and combat accurate.

A2 is fine, but despite the sacrilege of ME saying so, it does have more to break and damage.

I would want a tritium front post with either one.

Still don’t think the AR is the RIFLE you’d want though.

An AK, with upgraded sights (tritium) would be pretty gd handy, and more multifunctional.

Your saying you'd pick an AK over an AR type? Huh?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Your saying you'd pick an AK over an AR type? Huh?

After taking one of my AR's to the range recently that I hadn't fired for awhile (but that was cleaned and lubed before putting it away) and having it jam up tight after a couple of rounds (failure to eject), I can't say that I blame him. I haven't fired my AK in even longer, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that it would function perfectly if I took it out and ran it right now. It was an eye opener for sure.

I like my ARs, but if SHTF, I'd be grabbing my AK.

Cracker

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 10, 2020
    Hanover
    After taking one of my AR's to the range recently that I hadn't fired for awhile (but that was cleaned and lubed before putting it away) and having it jam up tight after a couple of rounds (failure to eject), I can't say that I blame him. I haven't fired my AK in even longer, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that it would function perfectly if I took it out and ran it right now. It was an eye opener for sure.

I enjoy AKs too but I'll take 4 moa over 8moa anyday. Quality parts and good maintenance in the AR platform will surpass an AK always

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

The quality of the rifle and how closely the parts are built to spec determines whether an AR will tolerate things like that or not. When you start changing things, the window for reliability shifts.

With a correct milspec rifle, correct chamber dimensions, correct bolt dimensions, and everything built properly, that would not happen.
    I mostly see issues like that with stainless steel barrels, or unlined barrels.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

Were your AR's properly lubed, ala gloriously wet bolt etc? Outside of magazine issues AR's are pretty solid when it comes to sitting for long time frames and sudden use, as long as they are wet. I'm grabbing an AR is SHTF, irons are given but I would probably grab the rifle with the acog on it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've gone down the rabbit hole of researching LPVOs. I don't have a Vortex Razor or Trijicon VCOG budget, so I have been looking at some of low to mid tier budget options.and have heard a lot of good things about the Swampfox models and the value they bring.

Because they are Chinese imports (not ideal) there are questions about their durability and reliability. This torture test video is not scientific in any way, but it is fun. And they abused the hell out of this scope. It held up much better than I expected.

[video=youtube_share;q4BvXgpa2A0]http://youtu.be/q4BvXgpa2A0[/video]

This certainly seems like a pretty decent option for anyone who doesn't have $1k or more to drop on an optic.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Were your AR's properly lubed, ala gloriously wet bolt etc? Outside of magazine issues AR's are pretty solid when it comes to sitting for long time frames and sudden use, as long as they are wet. I'm grabbing an AR is SHTF, irons are given but I would probably grab the rifle with the acog on it.

We got this lesson in person at the Vickers advanced Carbine class earlier this month.

[video=youtube_share;rFuD3DdYNV0]http://youtu.be/rFuD3DdYNV0[/video]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We got this lesson in person at the Vickers advanced Carbine class earlier this month.

[video=youtube_share;rFuD3DdYNV0]http://youtu.be/rFuD3DdYNV0[/video]

Well, I'm going to go lube my rifle! Oops.:n00b:

I heard someone else say to load 30 round mags to 29. I think it was john Lovell, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for putting this.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I think that's the problem. It was only lightly lubed. Looks like I'd better check all my ARs! Thanks for the tip.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    A good quality LPVO. Doesn't have to weigh a ton, better precision if I'd need to reach out a little while also working well up close, will work just fine if battery or electronics goes TU. Older eyes so irons just don't work for me, also have astigmatism so dots tend to be anything except a dot.

Top Bottom