• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have red dots, LPVO, high powered magnified scopes, and many have BUIS to boot. Of course the worst case for SHTF would be everything fails, and I end up going to the irons, but my primary optic of choice for what I'd call SHTF is gonna be a red dot.

The primary use for a firearm in a SHTF is gonna be personal defense, most likely from close ranges, and this is where the red dot rules all others.

Nothing approaches the red dot for speed of target acquisition, and forgiving eyebox relative to you having you face not in the right place because you're rushed, scared, not trained up, or shooting from an awkward firing position...

There is no scope shadow to worry about. Even the best $3,000 LVPO will have scope shadow.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think I just got BCM'd while watching that but yes Larry knows what's up! :)

I've got a new BCM upper arriving today to go on a BCM lower I already had. I'm sure training with LAV had something to do with my sudden urge to own a complete BCM rifle.

It's going to be sweet.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have red dots, LPVO, high powered magnified scopes, and many have BUIS to boot. Of course the worst case for SHTF would be everything fails, and I end up going to the irons, but my primary optic of choice for what I'd call SHTF is gonna be a red dot.

The primary use for a firearm in a SHTF is gonna be personal defense, most likely from close ranges, and this is where the red dot rules all others.

Nothing approaches the red dot for speed of target acquisition, and forgiving eyebox relative to you having you face not in the right place because you're rushed, scared, not trained up, or shooting from an awkward firing position...

There is no scope shadow to worry about. Even the best $3,000 LVPO will have scope shadow.

I think an EOTech is faster than a red dot but the EOtech's batteries may have died while not being used where the red dot probably works lol.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I think an EOTech is faster than a red dot but the EOtech's batteries may have died while not being used where the red dot probably works lol.

I put the EOTech in the same category. I used one in Iraq. It may operate on a different principal, but it gets used the same way. There is no scope shadow, your brain picks up the dot (or dot,and ring) so fast, and the dot (or dot, and ring) can be anywhere in the viewing window, yet as long as you place it on the target... you hit the target.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a combination of 2-7× scope, flip up offset iron sights, and a 1x red dot sight. It weighs a little more but worth the extra weight.

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Trijicon 4x ACOG with 45 degree backup irons. Nothing to remove or 'flip-up' - just cant the rifle counter-clockwise and keep shooting.
    1,000 lumen Streamlight with green laser as well.

Use the 4x if precision needed, but if too much going on too fast or too close, just twist and use the irons, then twist back if something needs more attention. Works really FAST to transition with a little practice.

The front 'iron' post on the 45 degree sights is replaced with the 'crosshair' globe insert for AR front sights. VERY good in low light, and VERY good at night with illumination or laser or both - if you see something through the 'hole' in front - you will pretty much hit it.

It can hit a raccoon sneaking out of the henhouse at night 50 yards away pretty easily.

Same idea on the house-pistol in 300 Blk - only a regular 1x red-dot and the 45 degree irons with crosshair front; Streamlight 800 lumen light and red laser. Makes sense to have them both set up similarly for 'muscle memory' purposes.

Amazon sells 45-degree offset iron sights and I've bought several over the years. Only 'flaw' is some have a wimpy detent, so once you sight them in, just throw on some lock-tote (or heck - use super-glue - for $20 or so the sight costs it you won't care).

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Darn you guys! Since this thread has started I have considered how I want to update my rifle. I swapped out my fixed stock for a collapsible stock. And I added a new sling with different mounting locations.

I am also thinking about some type of back up sights.

And now, down the rabbit hole I go. I ordered an Aero Precision lower to replace the Anderson lower that's on it. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll order one of their uppers with the matching proprietary handguard. Well if I'm going to do that, maybe I should look at a 14" barrel instead of my 16".

I'll talk myself out of doing all this I think but if I do pull the trigger on all this stuff, at least I'll keep my BCG and trigger!:):

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

I had that problem with both of mine, sent them in, and pretty quickly had them back with no questions asked, and so far so good, been a couple years back.

EOTechs had a problem when they were stored with batterys being left in them. The gas off the batterys ate the glue holding the battery contacts up inside of the battery compartment and unless one was watching the contact extensions would fall out when the battery door was opened. And it would stop powering up.
    The cure was a single set of contacts in a oversized piece of rubber that needed to be pushed up into the inside end of the battery compartment. When one has a sealed battery compartment its generally better to store it without batterys if possible.

indydave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    camby
    The waiting is over, zombie apocalypse / TEOTWAWKI / WROL / SHTF has happened.
    Situation requires that you keep your (one) rifle/carbine with you at all times: at home, in the vehicle, while conducting "missions", throughout your Area of Operations.
    All the other rifles you own were lost / stolen, you just have your "primary".
    In fact, you've had to "deploy" your rifle/carbine 5-6 times with extreme prejudice in the last two months.

What sight / optic are you running on your end-of-world rifle?
    Leupuld CQT 1X3 it works without batteries, is illuminated. Uses AA batteries. 1st and 2nd night vision compatible.
    Good 0 to 3-400 meters

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    tiW5o4Ph.jpg

So this is a concept I actually put a decent amount of time into. Running a Trijicon 1-8 so worst case scenario the illuminated reticle dies on me no big deal still have the cross hairs no matter what.

Then the offset is a dual illumination RMR so no batteries needed ever. But the idea for this build was to try and get as close to a "do all" rifle as possible.

Pfcmaurx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Jeffersonville
    The waiting is over, zombie apocalypse / TEOTWAWKI / WROL / SHTF has happened.
    Situation requires that you keep your (one) rifle/carbine with you at all times: at home, in the vehicle, while conducting "missions", throughout your Area of Operations.
    All the other rifles you own were lost / stolen, you just have your "primary".
    In fact, you've had to "deploy" your rifle/carbine 5-6 times with extreme prejudice in the last two months.

What sight / optic are you running on your end-of-world rifle?
    I’m running DD 45 degree offsets and a Vortex 1-8.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm fortunate I have options to pick from. If I'm joining some friends, it's PST Gen1 FFP 2-10x with magpul pro 45 deg BUIS. Runs every time because use red high temp bearing grease for lube and I've yet to be disappointed in it.

I'm I'm solo or with the family it'll either be regular AR-15 carry handle iron sights, or an aimpoint pro with magpul pro BUIS. Again, these guns are lubed with high temp bearing grease.

Top Bottom