• >4x telescope

2 2.67%
  • something besides the above choices

7 9.33%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: your rifle sights for SHTF

User Info Menu

your rifle sights for SHTF

The waiting is over, zombie apocalypse / TEOTWAWKI / WROL / SHTF has happened.
    Situation requires that you keep your (one) rifle/carbine with you at all times: at home, in the vehicle, while conducting "missions", throughout your Area of Operations.
    All the other rifles you own were lost / stolen, you just have your "primary".
    In fact, you've had to "deploy" your rifle/carbine 5-6 times with extreme prejudice in the last two months.

What sight / optic are you running on your end-of-world rifle?
    You can ignore reality, but you won't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

User Info Menu

Right now it's red dot with plastic Magpul MBUIS sites as a back up.

I just added the red dot recently after going open sites only (can't even call them iron sights). I like the red dot OK, but I'm toying with the idea of getting a 1x4 LPVO, particularly the Nightforce NXS 1x4. I'm having a tough time with the idea of adding an optic that's worth more than the rifle itself.
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong,
    seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

User Info Menu

I chose irons because thats what is on my HD AR. No batteries, no fuss, no muss. And if it IS truly TEOTW who knows if I'll be able to find more CR2032 batteries.

If I could find the cheap Chinese knockoffs of the G&G 45 degree offset irons again on ebay I would buy them for that rifle and put another Primary Arms RDS on it. I'm not paying G&G well over $140 for such simple sights. (fully fixed, no adjustments. Just a rear peep and a front post in a shroud)

Several years ago I found a guy selling them from China for $20 and they are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Ideally, a quality red dot or low-power scope backed up with folding irons. No matter how much you spend on an optic, technology will eventually fail.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User Unknown

User Info Menu

A guy can do worse than a set of solid steel military irons.

Having said that, the A1 sight in a forged upper is remarkably durable and combat accurate.

A2 is fine, but despite the sacrilege of ME saying so, it does have more to break and damage.

I would want a tritium front post with either one.

Still don’t think the AR is the RIFLE you’d want though.

An AK, with upgraded sights (tritium) would be pretty gd handy, and more multifunctional.
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

Daniel Defense fixed back up sights. These are rugged, though they do not flip up or fold down. Bumping them is not an issue especially good as for me optics are a bit pricey.
    You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything. NRA Life Benefactor

User Info Menu

Speaking of sights how does one add a front tritium sight to a Remington bead sight barrel?
    You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything. NRA Life Benefactor

User Info Menu

My carbine, Marlin Camp 45 has Iron sights and I will fall back on them when my Vortex Spark 1x red dot fails.

2+2=4

Plinker

User Info Menu

I picked LPVO 1-4 its the closest to what I'd really use a Razor 1-6 gen2e w/ 45* offset RMR.

User Info Menu

Viper 1-4 PST with MBUS if the glass breaks. I don't have to use the illumination on the Viper so batteries are not a factor.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast