• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I don't know anything about the guy except that he's from Alaska and has a thing for 10mm, and I've found his videos about those to be informative.

The Beretta 92 that has a decocker, but this safety works as both decocker push down, and up for traditional safety.
    Yep, I get that. And if I'm honest, I hate manual safeties and think it's particularly pointless on a DA/SA gun, so if I did get one of these I might break my own rule and not even use it. I prefer decock only, like a Sig or Beretta "G" model.

It's not so much the technique that concerns me, but rather the manner in which the safety mechanism on this gun appears to function mechanically. I'd have to actually take one apart to see for sure what's going on, but it really skeeves me out that he was able to partially retract the slide AND partially cock the hammer by pulling the trigger with the safety on. That tells me that the manual safety is operating by simply interfering with something mid-way through it's travel, and I don't like that at all. It lacks the refinement and intentionality of the designs I mentioned above, and implies that the manual safety was kind of an afterthought in their overall engineering of the gun. It makes me wonder what other stuff like that is going on inside this thing.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't know anything about the guy except that he's from Alaska and has a thing for 10mm, and I've found his videos about those to be informative.

Yep, I get that. And if I'm honest, I hate manual safeties and think it's particularly pointless on a DA/SA gun, so if I did get one of these I might break my own rule and not even use it. I prefer decock only, like a Sig or Beretta "G" model.

It's not so much the technique that concerns me, but rather the manner in which the safety mechanism on this gun appears to function mechanically. I'd have to actually take one apart to see for sure what's going on, but it really skeeves me out that he was able to partially retract the slide AND partially cock the hammer by pulling the trigger with the safety on. That tells me that the manual safety is operating by simply interfering with something mid-way through it's travel, and I don't like that at all. It lacks the refinement and intentionality of the designs I mentioned above, and implies that the manual safety was kind of an afterthought in their overall engineering of the gun. It makes me wonder what other stuff like that is going on inside this thing.
    I've got the Safety model of the Shield 45acp 1.0 it was $50 less at the time. I never have used it except to see if it was in working order when I first got it.
    I imagine most firearms the only Safety a person needs is their brain, and trigger finger.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central

Short very cold weather range report.

Well, that ambi mag release sure didn't waste any time demonstrating exactly what I was talking about! I disagree with him that it's a training issue...it wouldn't have happened at all if the designer hadn't put the stupid thing there in the first place. I shouldn't have to modify my grip to accommodate a bad design. If I do get one of these, it's going to have an appointment with a Dremel very early on.

Other than that, the video was encouraging. The gun seems to run well, and I still really like the size and form factor. I wish he'd taken the time to shoot some groups and show the targets rather than just blasting away, because I'm curious about the accuracy and whether or not the tested loads shot to the sights, but I'm sure there will be more videos detailing that eventually. I'd also like to see a comparison between this and a Glock 20 or 29, particularly to compare the size, weight, and ballistic performance.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've got the Safety model of the Shield 45acp 1.0 it was $50 less at the time. I never have used it except to see if it was in working order when I first got it.
    I imagine most firearms the only Safety a person needs is their brain, and trigger finger.
    I'm typically of the thought that if it's there I'm going to train to use it, as it might get inadvertently activated and if that happens not swiping it off in a critical situation might be catastrophic. I've done it on the range...would hate for it to happen in real life (actually I was just watching a survival show on TV today where a guy missed a shot on some game because he forgot to take the crossbolt safety off on his Marlin 1894. The narrator said that the gun "misfired", but you could clearly see that the safety was still on.)

I don't currently have any "carry" guns that are equipped with a manual safety. I have 1911s that only go to the range, and a couple of Berettas, but the one that I occasionally carry is converted to a "G" decocker only model. It just keeps things simpler if any gun I carry goes into action the same way...aim and pull the trigger.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm typically of the thought that if it's there I'm going to train to use it, as it might get inadvertently activated and if that happens not swiping it off in a critical situation might be catastrophic. I've done it on the range...would hate for it to happen in real life (actually I was just watching a survival show on TV today where a guy missed a shot on some game because he forgot to take the crossbolt safety off on his Marlin 1894. The narrator said that the gun "misfired", but you could clearly see that the safety was still on.)

I don't currently have any "carry" guns that are equipped with a manual safety. I have 1911s that only go to the range, and a couple of Berettas, but the one that I occasionally carry is converted to a "G" decocker only model. It just keeps things simpler if any gun I carry goes into action the same way...aim and pull the trigger.
    I carry my 10mm 1911 cocked and locked as they say. It's pretty easy to train yourself to take the safety off as you draw.
    My right thumb rests on the safety as I fire it.
    I carry it in the woods just incase I run into that mountain lion family that's supposed to live in this area. It's only been seen once and a few tracks have been found. She seems to be able to stay well hidden. She had 3 cubs that was several years ago. So they are adults by now.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    The Beretta 92 that has a decocker, but this safety works as both decocker push down, and up for traditional safety.
    The TH9, TH40, and TH45 all have them.
    So I would think if you could find one of those you could check it out and see how it feels in hand.
    The decocker lever function appears very USPish.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central

He needs to put more than one shot each over the chronograph and take an average to get any meaningful data. I also really wish he'd show his targets and shoot some groups with each gun instead of just dumping 5 rounds as fast as possible at something we can't see...it would provide a much more useful comparison. I've shot the X-Ten and know it's accurate. I'd like to see how the Taurus compares.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    He needs to put more than one shot each over the chronograph and take an average to get any meaningful data. I also really wish he'd show his targets and shoot some groups with each gun instead of just dumping 5 rounds as fast as possible at something we can't see...it would provide a much more useful comparison. I've shot the X-Ten and know it's accurate. I'd like to see how the Taurus compares.
    Here is another video on the TH10.
    Waiting on Sootch, LW to do a video on them, and a few others.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Looks like it needs a few things changed, and most likely will have a break in period.
    That magazine release on both sides looks like a problem. They are going to have to fix it so that you can move it from one side to the other.
    Or hopefully an aftermarket part will come out to fix that.
    Until then IMO it's not worth trying until that magazine release gets a fix.
    Another thing it has no RDS mount.
    That needs addressed as well.
    Might want to wait until the next version of this to come out. Taurus said they sold thousands of these on release day, they got completely sold out, they said they just shipped thousands more so should be on the shelves any day now.
    So they must be popular.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    That was a much better video than his first one. A nice variety of ammo, and he showed his targets so at least you can get some idea of how it's shooting (I'd still like some more detail there, though). It does look like he had a second person along to help him with the camera this time.

It seems like it didn't like that Grizzly ammo very much, but I think the premature slide lockback that he got with the S&B was him bumping the slide catch lever with his thumb, not the ammo or the gun. It wasn't hung up on the round, the slide was simply locked back.

The poorly executed ambi controls are definitely a problem, but not something that scares me too much. I own a file, a band saw, and a Dremel, and I'm pretty confident I could make some of those issues go away. At this price point, doing that doesn't scare me. For my intended purpose of a backpacking carry gun, I will never put an optic on it anyway, so I don't care about the lack of an optic cut...a compact version (TH10C?) would have some appeal, though. If they do release an updated version maybe it'll drive prices on these down to around what the TH9 is going for, because while $450 ain't bad, $320 is even better!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Well, still haven't seen one of these in the wild, but I did find this video today, and it's not encouraging. Looks like it worked fine with the standard 10mm fare (which really isn't much more potent than a .40 S&W), but when they tried to run heavy Buffalo Bore hard cast in it, it choked repeatedly.

The whole point of this gun for me is backwoods defense in Alaska or Wyoming. If it's not reliable with deep-penetrating hard cast, it's of no use to me. My S&W 329 may have a capacity disadvantage, but I'm absolutely confident it'll go bang six times. And if I wanted a .40 I'd just carry my P229.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well, still haven't seen one of these in the wild, but I did find this video today, and it's not encouraging. Looks like it worked fine with the standard 10mm fare (which really isn't much more potent than a .40 S&W), but when they tried to run heavy Buffalo Bore hard cast in it, it choked repeatedly.

The whole point of this gun for me is backwoods defense in Alaska or Wyoming. If it's not reliable with deep-penetrating hard cast, it's of no use to me. My S&W 329 may have a capacity disadvantage, but I'm absolutely confident it'll go bang six times. And if I wanted a .40 I'd just carry my P229.

Definitely not on my list. Taurus needs to re-evaluate this gun. It's just not right. Many Guntubers having problems, and I wonder how many others are?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Bobcat has one inbound for me. Along with a HiPoint 10mm (because, why not?). I don’t have any real expectations for it because outside of the PT99 I’ve never really met a Taurus semi I had much respect for. It’s just another 10mm to add to the collection of dozens of them I have. The only thing that will displace my G29 EDC is if Glock makes a single stack a la the G36. My G20 with my nuclear hard cast handloads are fine for me for bear country, and my G40 has been great for deer hunting.

At this point I own almost every production 10mm there is with only a few exceptions. Still debating dropping the coin on the Sig…

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Bobcat has one inbound for me. Along with a HiPoint 10mm (because, why not?). I don’t have any real expectations for it because outside of the PT99 I’ve never really met a Taurus semi I had much respect for. It’s just another 10mm to add to the collection of dozens of them I have. The only thing that will displace my G29 EDC is if Glock makes a single stack a la the G36. My G20 with my nuclear hard cast handloads are fine for me for bear country, and my G40 has been great for deer hunting.

At this point I own almost every production 10mm there is with only a few exceptions. Still debating dropping the coin on the Sig…
    I'll be interested to hear your results with it. I put more credence in a real person review than most of the stuff I see on YouTube. It's still an interesting gun on paper...but if it can't perform under real-world conditions that's a problem.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI

The hipoint 10mm could be a great shooter. Heavy like its 45acp counter part, probably, but the 45 i had many years ago was somewhat amazing. I didn't have any of the ftf or stovepipes....low recoil and all. 2 things i did, was cleaned the coating from the feed ramp and polished and then i wet sanded all the black paint off the slide and polished it to a mirror finish. Completely changed the looks. Those C9 guns were nothing but headaches.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    The hipoint 10mm could be a great shooter. Heavy like its 45acp counter part, probably, but the 45 i had many years ago was somewhat amazing. I didn't have any of the ftf or stovepipes....low recoil and all. 2 things i did, was cleaned the coating from the feed ramp and polished and then i wet sanded all the black paint off the slide and polished it to a mirror finish. Completely changed the looks. Those C9 guns were nothing but headaches.
    Problem is, even if it was superbly accurate and reliable, would you want to carry a 49oz gun about the size and shape of a brick on a 20 mile hike up and down mountains along with a ~30lb pack and other gear? It's not just about finding something that works...it has to also fit the use-case. If the only concern was finding a solid-performing DA/SA 10mm, I'd just buy a P220 and the search would be over. But the steel frame on those puts them at 44.5 oz.

I want a DA (preferably DA/SA) gun because that's my preferred action for a variety of reasons. I need it to be reliable with heavy loads, accurate, and as lightweight as possible. My 329PD (24oz) gives me everything on that list, its only shortcomings are capacity and slightly longer follow-up shot times due to the heavy recoil (and the pain...the pain is real, lol). I don't need a 10mm...the .44 will do what I need...but the 10mm offers a few benefits in certain circumstances that I can't get with the revolver. If the TH-10 proves to be a turd, I'll just wait for something else to come along...I was just hoping that it wouldn't be!

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Problem is, even if it was superbly accurate and reliable, would you want to carry a 49oz gun about the size and shape of a brick on a 20 mile hike up and down mountains along with a ~30lb pack and other gear? It's not just about finding something that works...it has to also fit the use-case. If the only concern was finding a solid-performing DA/SA 10mm, I'd just buy a P220 and the search would be over. But the steel frame on those puts them at 44.5 oz.

I want a DA (preferably DA/SA) gun because that's my preferred action for a variety of reasons. I need it to be reliable with heavy loads, accurate, and as lightweight as possible. My 329PD (24oz) gives me everything on that list, its only shortcomings are capacity and slightly longer follow-up shot times due to the heavy recoil (and the pain...the pain is real, lol). I don't need a 10mm...the .44 will do what I need...but the 10mm offers a few benefits in certain circumstances that I can't get with the revolver. If the TH-10 proves to be a turd, I'll just wait for something else to come along...I was just hoping that it wouldn't be!
    Yea, i don't think it will be an edc piece, just a fun shooter is all.

Top Bottom