• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    All of the hard work, and verbal abuse, much appreciated! Thanks for the match.

On the last bay, if I would have done a practice port door open after make ready, would that have been a procedural? Kind of a rare situation where you can reach it within one step of starting position.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County

On the last bay, if I would have done a practice port door open after make ready, would that have been a procedural? Kind of a rare situation where you can reach it within one step of starting position.
    Dammit more esoteric rules questions......
    I wouldn't have given you one.....
    I'm probably wrong....
    Someone that gives a crap about rules that don't matter will be along soon:):

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Dammit more esoteric rules questions......
    I wouldn't have given you one.....
    I'm probably wrong....
    Someone that gives a crap about rules that don't matter will be along soon:):

I don't think it's a procedural during make ready to practice opening it. He did ask me that but I misunderstood his question, I thought he wanted to open the port before the beep goes off after stand by and I said that the port can only be open after the beep.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

Well I will resist asking what kind of idiot needs to practice opening a silly port:stickpoke:.

I will also not make the point that you have 5 minutes at walkthru and a couple more while you are next shooter to practice opening said port. If it takes longer than that to figure it out I'm not sure one more time at make ready would help much.:dunno:

As for a official ruling I don't know. Send a email to NROI and ask.

My feelings are once the stage is set you cannot do anything to "unset it". Kind of like a hand on doorknob start and door activates a swinger or max-trap. You would be starting right at door and knowing you are within one step, you then could open door and activate targets while making ready. I would at least make you go reset the targets. Don't know if any penalties could be applied unless specified in WSB. If one person got away with it and everyone started doing it then it would slow the match down.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    you then could open door and activate targets while making ready.

that's what I was thinking of, if the port is used as an activator.
    "Any person interfering with the ... resetting of a course of fire in any way "
    penalty "may be assessed."

also, even a simple port could create a potential safety issue. many port doors I've seen over the years can't be reset w.o walking around to the down-range side. If that's the case, someone has to go down range on a hot range.

falls into one of those "Don't be a ..." situations, but on the shooter. So long as it's a simple port and you can reset it yourself w/o walking around the wall, I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Even if it's an accident w an activator, and you're like "oh crap, didn't mean to actually knock it open." I don't think anyone would care. people might take issue if you get an extra look at the timing of a mover..

:twocents:

-rvb

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I realize that but was trying to make the point that if you can open the port then wouldn't opening a door with activator be the same thing if you are making ready with a start position at that door?

True. And it's sad that you had to give an example for it though when it's really a common sense not to use any activator when making ready. When I started this game, even I figured it out not to mess with something that requires other people to reset.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I will also not make the point that you have 5 minutes at walkthru and a couple more while you are next shooter to practice opening said port. If it takes longer than that to figure it out I'm not sure one more time at make ready would help much.:dunno:

No worries, wanted to know what the answer was, more for in case I ever need to answer the question than for caring about what I can do.

At make ready, I like to draw at my normal speed (sloth like) and , when possible, take a sight picture and a couple clicks at my first target. I'm also in the habit of using the gun to open the port when practical. In this case a practice run at all of that was physically possible without creating more than a 5 second delay to reclose the port from the uprange side. Since I ain't one of the guys that thinks 'make ready' means 'spend the next 10 minutes in a trance like state with your finger waving in the air' I figured I'd be good on the 5 or 10 seconds.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom