Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Bump for an update.

Check this out.

b4f8cc93-0b91-4128-ade0-e4588a9b9e96_zps737841d2.jpg

Top: Full size AR

Bottom: (soon to be) working 1/2 scale AR chambered in .17 MachIV. Waiting on ATF to determine if it will need to be an SBR or not.

IMG_1223_zps6110a30b.jpg

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Bump for an update.

Check this out.

b4f8cc93-0b91-4128-ade0-e4588a9b9e96_zps737841d2.jpg

Top: Full size AR

Bottom: (soon to be) working 1/4 scale AR chambered in .17 MachIV. Waiting on ATF to determine if it will need to be an SBR or not.

I had not checked for updates.Isn't that awesome. If you don't appreciate that then you don't appreciate craftsmanship! Thank's BT for following up on that!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    This is legit! I wanna see him shoot it with some sweet cerakote finish or something... What caliber will the 1/4 be?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I've had that thread opened up in another page since this thread was started just so I don't lose it. Been checking every so often and everytime I'm more and more amazed. I've shown a few people that just say "oh ya that's cool" and I wanna smack them upside the head. They don't realize the skill it takes to make something like that.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about a 2:1 scale AR-15 (AR-30?) that fires a mutant offspring of a .458 SOCOM and a .50 BMG with a 115 mm overall length.

The issue of a functional scale model of a rifle needing SBR determination reminds me of a scene from a movie.

Cop: He robbed a bank with a shotgun.
    Crook: It was just a little one.
    Cop: THE TERM IS "SAWED-OFF"!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This is the last update from the guy making it.

Stalled. ATF has not had time for lil' old me. Way too busy issuing ridiculous edicts on receiver machining, contradicting themselves on arm brace rulings and banning ball ammunition by calling it armor piercing.

ATF is supposed to respond to such inquiries in 60-90 days, which we're well past. I have decided that if we reach the 6 month mark with no response, I will proceed with making a barrel for this pistol. I wanted to do things by the letter, have an official declaration in hand, but I'm not going to wait forever. If they wish to challenge it's status as a handgun, I will see them in court, as even a complete idiot can plainly see that this firearm does not qualify (nor is it useable) as a rifle

Wish the feds would hurry up.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll update this a bit. The maker (Mach 17) is still waiting for BATF approval on wether it is an SBR or not.

He has the barrel made and the chamber reamed. But he has hit a snag. Not enough force from the hammer to fire a round. He has done everything else (including making a scale rod dot) so we will just have to see how it turns out.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ohmigod, if the Army sees this they'll make it the new issue battle rifle. Weighs less and allows a soldier to carry twice as many rounds........

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The thread detailing the build has been closed "At the OP's request."

I'm not sure if it didn't go well with the ATF or if he just can't get enough spring on the hammer to ignite the primer and gave up.

I'll check it every now and then to see if there are any updates.

Top Bottom