• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have found a lot of times when a shop has cobbled something together it was because the customer asked for a cheap fix to hold over until they can afford to fix it right. The correct thing to do is to refuse to do anything but fix it correctly but the shop does not want to lose any business.

Yeah that's easier said than done. Most customers want the cheap fix. Pretty much NOBODY wants to pony up the money to pay a quality technician to do the job right. People gripe & moan about how much it costs to have their car fixed but are clueless how much we have to invest in equipment to do these jobs right. Most backyard mechanics/ DIY'ers don't even do a basic brake job properly..and as a result you get hackjob results.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Wife's friend's husband was out of a job, his a mechanic (long and short of it is he wanted to be a airplane mechanic so he got fired from his jobs). His wife pushed him to start his business. He needed work, so I let him service my truck before I gave it to my stepson. After the "service" he offered to drive the truck back to my house. It took him 1hr, drive is about 15 mins. Turns out he didn't tighten the rear wheel lugs, so the tire came off. Caused a dent in the rear. He offered to pay for it with more "services". I refused and didn't ask for anything.

Week later get a call from the stepson, his stuck in some town, truck died, turned out the O2 sensor fallout and melted to the engine block. Another Service from this moron. Cost me ~$300.00.

Years later (they moved somewhere) his wife calls and wants to have breakfast to see all their "old friends". Turned out to be an AMWAY meeting, they were looking for money so they could done a Ministry in Jamaica, he was going to be a airplane mechanic, I paid for breakfast and wished them luck.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Yeah that's easier said than done. Most customers want the cheap fix. Pretty much NOBODY wants to pony up the money to pay a quality technician to do the job right. People gripe & moan about how much it costs to have their car fixed but are clueless how much we have to invest in equipment to do these jobs right. Most backyard mechanics/ DIY'ers don't even do a basic brake job properly..and as a result you get hackjob results.

If this ain't the truth. My brother is like this, doesn't use the correct lube buys the cheapest "lifetime" stuff AZ sells. All of his vehicles sound and feel like the brakes are made of sand. He sure can swap a set of pads out 2x a year though, and thinks it's all good. I've tried to show him what good pads and rotors are, but it's all about the "lifetime" warranty.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If this ain't the truth. My brother is like this, doesn't use the correct lube buys the cheapest "lifetime" stuff AZ sells. All of his vehicles sound and feel like the brakes are made of sand. He sure can swap a set of pads out 2x a year though, and thinks it's all good. I've tried to show him what good pads and rotors are, but it's all about the "lifetime" warranty.

I know how you feel. My brother's wife burns through a set of pads every year. She runs down to AZ and buys a set of pads. Never mind it may need rotors, even if they shake the steering wheel out of your hand when stopping. They always hit me up and want me to throw pads on it but end up doing it right...even if they whine and complain.

Like everything else, you get what you pay for. But even with professionals, occasionally you will have a bad experience.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Tools. equipment. Experience. Did I mention tools and equipment.......yes I did but it bears repeating.

Tools/equipment/experience.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know how you feel. My brother's wife burns through a set of pads every year. She runs down to AZ and buys a set of pads. Never mind it may need rotors, even if they shake the steering wheel out of your hand when stopping. They always hit me up and want me to throw pads on it but end up doing it right...even if they whine and complain.

Like everything else, you get what you pay for. But even with professionals, occasionally you will have a bad experience.

I have found that the lifetime pads under a heavy foot will eat a set of rotors pretty fast.
    I hav also found that the pads we get these days regardless of who supply's them need to be altered/modified/fit up to both my GM trucks. I have also found that there is no fast way to do this so just get the "Tools and Equipment" out and take your flipping time. Clean/service the pins.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have found that the lifetime pads under a heavy foot will eat a set of rotors pretty fast.
    I hav also found that the pads we get these days regardless of who supply's them need to be altered/modified/fit up to both my GM trucks. I have also found that there is no fast way to do this so just get the "Tools and Equipment" out and take your flipping time. Clean/service the pins.

Absolutely right. There's a tool for every job and those tools make doing the job they are designed for easier. Take your time, think and just fix it right the first time. And remember often times lubrication is the key..just use the right lube for the job.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Absolutely right. There's a tool for every job and those tools make doing the job they are designed for easier. Take your time, think and just fix it right the first time. And remember often times lubrication is the key..just use the right lube for the job.

Yep, there's a wrench to pound in every screw! :):

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Are we still talking about cars? :dunno:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Everytime the mines around here would go on strike or lay off people for awhile, the union miners would do mechanical work out of their home garages. All the time complaining about nonunion workers stealing union jobs.

Had a guy with a bad manual trans supply his own junkyard replacement the get mad because we would not warranty his part or put in another for no labor. Glad I no longer turn wrenches.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I had CM run gas lines for me when I was 90% sure I could do it myself because that meant there was a 10% chance I thought I might blow the house up.

Kudos to you guys who can do it all, I'm definitely not one of you.

You might want to recheck those. I hear he did a house in Michigan City once....just sayin'

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am at best a shade tree mechanic. Same for home repairs. Been burnt SO many times, though, that it is cheaper/easier in the long run to buy the tools, take the time, and do it myself.

If I have the time (a rare commodity lately), I actually enjoy the work. Normal maintenance on the vehicles, brakes, exhaust (if it is bolt-on), shocks, etc... Not a problem. More involved stuff I can do, and even invent new curse words in the process. Some stuff is best left to professionals. Not because they are BETTER, but because they are INSURED. Took 3 trips to get an oil leak on my wife's Jeep repaired, under warranty.

That same Jeep needs brakes. I'll do that myself, thank you very much. For the same $$$, I can install some higher-end parts, and have no one to blame but myself if there are problems.

The BIG stuff has to go to the shop. I can't afford the tools or the time.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I am at best a shade tree mechanic. Same for home repairs. Been burnt SO many times, though, that it is cheaper/easier in the long run to buy the tools, take the time, and do it myself.

If I have the time (a rare commodity lately), I actually enjoy the work. Normal maintenance on the vehicles, brakes, exhaust (if it is bolt-on), shocks, etc... Not a problem. More involved stuff I can do, and even invent new curse words in the process. Some stuff is best left to professionals. Not because they are BETTER, but because they are INSURED. Took 3 trips to get an oil leak on my wife's Jeep repaired, under warranty.

That same Jeep needs brakes. I'll do that myself, thank you very much. For the same $$$, I can install some higher-end parts, and have no one to blame but myself if there are problems.

The BIG stuff has to go to the shop. I can't afford the tools or the time.

Like if it doesn't stop!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Last week the washer drain backed up into the kitchen drain and blew out the seal.

It had to have happened multiple time before it was noticed.

Anyway, asked about plumbers and was told it would cost 300-700$ to have the drain unplugged.

Harbor freight, home depot and I got her done for 550 and i have a generator, several saw blades and a powered 50 ft drain snake.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Went to school for auto tech (Ass. & Bs. degree). After seeing who else they graduated with me, I do my own work.
    Have worked at 2 dealerships. I do my own work.
    Have worked at chain shop. I do my own work.
    Have worked at parts stores. I don't get the cheapest LT warranty parts.

There are a few people I'd trust with my car but I've seen them work and I've seen their work. I've seen too many horror images in person and online to trust anyone.

The only things I get outside help on is AC, Alignment, and tires due to the equipment cost/space. Luckily I have a few contacts for each that I can do it myself or with minimal help to keep from breaking their equipment. Bodywork I'd farm out but haven't needed to.

I don't mind much work but for some reason I have an irrational distaste for messing with brake fluid. I don't mind working on any parts of the system but just don't like bleeding them. Probably related to it being a PITA to keep from getting it everywhere and, coming from further North, the proclivity of bleeders to be single use item due to rust.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Backyard....shade tree.....

I have a garage!

I do a great deal of my own work. The car my son used developed an oil leak when he was working in Kentucky this past summer. Rather than taking it from behind like I did on another repair he had done down there, I instructed him to keep the oil topped off and drive it home at the end of the summer. It was the plastic valve cover- a well known problem on 90s Saturns ('96 SW2).

I tried to reseal the valve cover on it and get him off to college, but its warped and it didn't work. I had him leave the car home when he went back and we're taking it to him this weekend.

I have successfully repaired the leaking valve cover...and done a few other things:

- Replaced warp-happy plastic valve cover with earlier model aluminum valve cover that does not warp or leak (from a '93)....yes, I painted it red.
    - Changed the spark plug wires because the boots from the old ones don't seal on the aluminum valve cover (it has new plugs from the aforementioned reaming. They charged $36 for a set of 4).
    - Transimission fluid flush, fill, filter change
    - Replaced engine mounts (one was bad....why not replace them all?)
    - Replaced thermostat
    - Replaced engine coolant temperature sensor
    - flush and fill cooling system
    - Oil and filter change
    - Replaced PCV valve and breather hose
    - Replaced air filter (also painted the filter housing red)
    - Did a 72 hour piston soak (preventative as Saturns like to muck up oil control rings)
    - Power washed and steam cleaned the engine bay (yes, I was careful and yes I have a steamer)
    - Throttle body cleaned
    - Put 300 test miles on it (my partners love it when I drive the '96 Saturn wagon)

No other vehicle I own gets this kind of attention. I seriously need to get the car to the boy before I paint it or something stupid like that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Backyard....shade tree.....

I have a garage!

I do a great deal of my own work. The car my son used developed an oil leak when he was working in Kentucky this past summer. Rather than taking it from behind like I did on another repair he had done down there, I instructed him to keep the oil topped off and drive it home at the end of the summer. It was the plastic valve cover- a well known problem on 90s Saturns ('96 SW2).

I tried to reseal the valve cover on it and get him off to college, but its warped and it didn't work. I had him leave the car home when he went back and we're taking it to him this weekend.

I have successfully repaired the leaking valve cover...and done a few other things:

- Replaced warp-happy plastic valve cover with earlier model aluminum valve cover that does not warp or leak (from a '93)....yes, I painted it red.
    - Changed the spark plug wires because the boots from the old ones don't seal on the aluminum valve cover (it has new plugs from the aforementioned reaming. They charged $36 for a set of 4).
    - Transimission fluid flush, fill, filter change
    - Replaced engine mounts (one was bad....why not replace them all?)
    - Replaced thermostat
    - Replaced engine coolant temperature sensor
    - flush and fill cooling system
    - Oil and filter change
    - Replaced PCV valve and breather hose
    - Replaced air filter (also painted the filter housing red)
    - Did a 72 hour piston soak (preventative as Saturns like to muck up oil control rings)
    - Power washed and steam cleaned the engine bay (yes, I was careful and yes I have a steamer)
    - Throttle body cleaned
    - Put 300 test miles on it (my partners love it when I drive the '96 Saturn wagon)

No other vehicle I own gets this kind of attention. I seriously need to get the car to the boy before I paint it or something stupid like that.

Transmission fluid service.....??????
    How many of us actually do this. Outside of this thread who even thinks about it.
    I do the transmissions and differentials every other year. Just do it. We have a process that gets all the old fluid out.

When w do pads (All our rigs are 4 wheel disc) I crack the bleeders and push the old fluid out of the calipers. A proper poly line into a brake fluid bottle with a hole drilled in the cap No mess. Top of the levels when you are done.
    I change the coolant at 80K.
    Rotate the tires in the fall when we are changing oil. Lets me look at everything.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Preventative maintenance is more and more rare.

I have used a "mity-vac" to flush brake fluid, but it takes forever on a car or truck, not bad on a motorcycle. Back in my car sales days, we had a pneumatic power bleeder- great tool. Fill up the thing with fluid, put the lid on the master cylinder, run some air pressure in, the crack the bleed screws and just wait until the fluid runs clear.

Anyhoo, on this Saturn, when I realized that the transmission has an external spin-on filter and, wonder of wonders, a drain plug- I just had to.

Top Bottom