• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I do trans/t-case/diff service at LEAST by the manual. Our old Saturn needed it more often (every couple of oil changes).

Coolant get's changed when the thermostat and/or lower radiator hose needs changed. Usually around 100K.

Ordering brakes for my wife's JK tonight. Needs pads AND rotors at 44K miles. Going to just order the "good stuff". There is also some sort of suspension "clunk" I need to investigate. Guessing it is a bushing somewhere.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Tools. equipment. Experience. Did I mention tools and equipment.......yes I did but it bears repeating.

Tools/equipment/experience.
    Yep! My brother does everything for us, 3 vehicles. Has the knowledge (used to work on them everyday), the tools, and a lift. And discount parts thru the dealership he is Service Manager of. Charges me $25 for an oil change, and he buys the parts. :thumbsup:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Its sad that most people think of dealerships and service centers as hiring only professionals. While some are, there are a lot that aren't. I cringe whenever I have to turn a vehicle over to a service center. Don't think it's ever come back without a new mark or something not done right. Last time I picked up a vehicle from a service center it was missing 4 of the 9 quarts of oil that was supposed to be in it. Funny thing is that I gave them all the filters and fluids to do the service along with some other maintenance that involved taking the top 1/3 of the engine apart. Did they think I just left an extra 4 quarts of oil for them to not use? And this is a service center that has had several INGO recommendations.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I understand the concerns many have about dropping their car off for repairs/maintenance, I get it. I support certifications...now I acknowledge upfront that doesn't mean a whole lot except someone passed a test. I get that. However, ASE does tend to have a way of weeding out the real hacks. Too often tech's are working on flat rate, so the faster the job gets done the more hours can be flagged means they take home more money. The downside to that is it means often corners are cut and some aspects get half ass done...even though you get charged full price. Most shops do little in terms of quality control to verify the repairs are done correctly or that tue customers concern has been addressed. That tends to even more hustling and if the car leaves and the repair makes it past any warranty period or the tech is just good enough not to have excessive amounts of come back repairs, then nothing happens. Anymore shops expect tech's to be able to fix anything and that just isn't realistic. When I worked in a dealer, everyone had some specialty areas. That meant we got really good and efficient at doing those repairs. We made a lot of money that way. But now you gotta fix everything, so you never really get, really good at any one or two areas. As a result you don't flag as many hours and make less money. But you still have to buy all those specialty tools for every job...or improvise. People need to keep in mind we are working on cars/trucks that are far more technologically advanced than what NASA sent to the moon. With all the added on creature comforts come more technology. Most shops won't pay for training or certifications like they should. Partly because that means passing additional costs on to the customers who already gripe and moan about paying for basic maintenance and repairs. Look for shops that have ASE certified tech's and shops that are Blue Seal certified. But even then sometimes crap happens and there will be repeat repairs.

Top Bottom