• Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't know....

I think we've seen some of those videos on the news before. They usually involve helicopters, stop sticks, pit maneuvers, etc.:laugh:

Hey, I am ready... fat guy in what you youngsters call a wife beater (I just call it a tshirt)... unfortunately I have all my teeth though.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I get that the officer should've been more diplomatic in his approach to this situation but is this really cause for the disdain and pitchforks ?

OP , if you feel offended strongly enough by the officer's language to file a complaint , why didn't you feel strongly enough to inform the officer that " OC is legal and not cause for a stop " ?

I'm really ****in surprised at INGO on this one . Ready to start smiting this guy's career over some solid , ****in words of advice .

It seems that everybody's ready to have this guy fired and Kirk's ready to file a ****in case because the OP didn't like the ****in language used while getting some ****in good advice .

Going through life being a ****in professional VAGINA is no way to live .

How bout we look past the delivery and focus on the officer's intent , which seems to be honorable .
    Cop just had a hard on to preach from the pulpit, you can hear it. Let the brass knock him off. I'll be the first one to admit I use very bad language all the time, but I'm not a professional representing a city in a position of trust and respect . Cops are and I don't want to hear them curse towards me on a "stop". Report it.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    There is a distinction between internal policy and constitutional law.

IMPD may have a policy on stopping those for merely openly carrying a handgun. However, carrying a handgun is a crime and reasonable suspicion of a crime is a valid reason for a stop.

What is displayed in the OP is a consensual encounter.
    "carrying a handgun is a crime..." INAL but WTF??? The IN constitution says that the right of the people--as individuals--to keep and bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the state, shall not be infringed. Yeah, the state--for our benefit--has legislated that we need a license to carry a handgun, but then it's NOT HAVING THEIR LICENSE that is the crime rather than carrying a handgun.
    As a lawyer, I bet you'll realize than I'm reacting to the legalistic erosion of civil rights and freedom showcased by your misstatement. IMO IMPD's got their policy right. No probable cause to suspect criminal activity=no stop

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Hey, I am ready... fat guy in what you youngsters call a wife beater (I just call it a tshirt)... unfortunately I have all my teeth though.

They'll take care of that teeth problem when they finally get you stopped and pull you out of your vehicle...just keep resisting.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Cop just had a hard on to preach from the pulpit, you can hear it. Let the brass knock him off. I'll be the first one to admit I use very bad language all the time, but I'm not a professional representing a city in a position of trust and respect . Cops are and I don't want to hear them curse towards me on a "stop". Report it.

As I normally have my two children in two with me, you can imagine the regard they will have for LEO when I get done explaining to them what transpired, whether I had been the in the OP's shoes or we were simply witnesses to it. I'm not one to sugarcoat either. So you can be sure "abuse of authority" would have been a part of the conversation.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    As I normally have my two children in two with me, you can imagine the regard they will have for LEO when I get done explaining to them what transpired, whether I had been the in the OP's shoes or we were simply witnesses to it. I'm not one to sugarcoat either. So you can be sure "abuse of authority" would have been a part of the conversation.
    yep! Can you imagine seeing the president on tv dropping f bombs? He represents our country. That cop represents our city. He signed up for it, he knows the rules. OP was smart and had a recorder going and cop didn't know it. Good!

if it was a high stress situation i can forgive bad language though

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I honestly didn't realize that our society had become so sensitive to cursing. I know this officer and it is likely he heard from my mouth that no one wants to hear our opinion on open carry. That said, I cannot imagine my time being so invaluable that I would call and complain to someone's supervisor about them cursing, especially when they weren't cursing at me. To each their own I guess, I have better things to do with my time.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I honestly didn't realize that our society had become so sensitive to cursing. I know this officer and it is likely he heard from my mouth that no one wants to hear our opinion on open carry. That said, I cannot imagine my time being so invaluable that I would call and complain to someone's supervisor about them cursing, especially when they weren't cursing at me. To each their own I guess, I have better things to do with my time.

This.

I couldn't care less about the OC conversation. The officer didn't ask for a LTCH or try to imply the OP was doing anything illegal, he simply shared his opinion. Who cares?

The part I find repulsive is a grown man who can't wait to tattle on another grown man for saying a "bad word".

Pardon the "language", but that's kind of a namby-pamby little ***** move. Debate the carry issue with the officer or don't, but running to cry about the language when your real issue is with his expression of his carry opinion is cowardly.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    but then it's NOT HAVING THEIR LICENSE that is the crime rather than carrying a handgun.

No, carrying the handgun is the crime. The LTCH is an affirmative defense (your burden to prove you have the LTCH) to the crime of carrying a handgun.

The officer didn't ask for a LTCH or try to imply the OP was doing anything illegal, he simply shared his opinion. Who cares?

I do. He was wearing the uniform of the State. He has no authority to advise on how citizens exercise their rights.

If he wearing in uniform and giving his opinion on which house of worship one should attend, would you say "who cares"?

If he is in uniform telling citizens which political thoughts they can have, would you say "who cares"?

Badge, uniform, gun, he is the government and he is telling another citizen how to exercise his rights. THAT should be objected to.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    INGO is strating to become Indy Cop Block version 2.0

I wouldn't say that. I am about as critical of police as anyone with the possible exception of Rambone, and I value good officers greatly. I just can't find enough of them by percentage or gross numbers to make me feel comfortable. I don't feel that I am being the least bit unreasonable by expecting people who accept a position of authority to act in a professional manner, refrain from abuse of authority, refrain from serving warrants by means reminiscent of invading a small country with apparently little regard for collateral damage, and in some cases being the worst and most prolific criminals in the community (no, that is NOT hyperbole).

If the average police officer in my experience were someone like Phylodog, Denny, Joe, or Frank, I would have little critical in nature to say.

I don't think it is a general sensitivity but an additional irritation so far as that if someone is going to give his unsolicited opinion after climbing up on his professional pedestal to do so, the least he can do is act professional while doing so.

This.

I couldn't care less about the OC conversation. The officer didn't ask for a LTCH or try to imply the OP was doing anything illegal, he simply shared his opinion. Who cares?

Exactly, no illegal or possibly illegal activity was addressed. If there is no official business to conduct the officer needed to mind his own damned business.

The part I find repulsive is a grown man who can't wait to tattle on another grown man for saying a "bad word".

Pardon the "language", but that's kind of a namby-pamby little ***** move. Debate the carry issue with the officer or don't, but running to cry about the language when your real issue is with his expression of his carry opinion is cowardly.

Sorry, but standing with one foot on the 'professional' pedestal and the other in the gutter simultaneously doesn't cut it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This.

Hey you can bend over and get it any way you like from the cops but others have the right to address their concerns with his superiors if they wish. The only dick move is a cop in uniform using his position to pick on a citizen who is legally exercising his right to carry. Language is not the main issue but it's a turn off

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    No, carrying the handgun is the crime. The LTCH is an affirmative defense (your burden to prove you have the LTCH) to the crime of carrying a handgun.

I do. He was wearing the uniform of the State. He has no authority to advise on how citizens exercise their rights.

If he wearing in uniform and giving his opinion on which house of worship one should attend, would you say "who cares"?

If he is in uniform telling citizens which political thoughts they can have, would you say "who cares"?

Badge, uniform, gun, he is the government and he is telling another citizen how to exercise his rights. THAT should be objected to.

There no policy against opinion and advice. Sure there are considerations of "representing the department" I will give you that. Police get asked for firearms advice all the time. Maybe we'll tell them to go to Don's guns since the media seems to. While the delivery was rough it was legit. Open carry is a bad idea while technically legal. Flame me if you wish but tactically its unsound and lately the "open carry" movement has done more harm than good for gun owners. It boils down to some people not liking being disagreed with and people wanting to scream its my right anytime they inflicted with butthurt. If people worked as hard for furthering gun rights and community involvement as they did screaming militarization and the police are coming to get me maybe things would change around here.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    There no policy against opinion and advice. Sure there are considerations of "representing the department" I will give you that. Police get asked for firearms advice all the time. Maybe we'll tell them to go to Don's guns since the media seems to. While the delivery was rough it was legit. Open carry is a bad idea while technically legal. Flame me if you wish but tactically its unsound and lately the "open carry" movement has done more harm than good for gun owners. It boils down to some people not liking being disagreed with and people wanting to scream its my right anytime they inflicted with butthurt. If people worked as hard for furthering gun rights and community involvement as they did screaming militarization and the police are coming to get me maybe things would change around here.
    It's not tactically unsound and many experienced people would disagree with you not just me. I don't open carry but that argument is so old and untrue it's laughable.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It's not tactically unsound and many experienced people would disagree with you not just me. I don't open carry but that argument is so old and untrue it's laughable.

Actually the debate on OC is pretty well split down the middle. I personally could not care less which people choose to do, I long ago quit worrying about the choices others make on such topics.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Hey you can bend over and get it any way you like from the cops but others have the right to address their concerns with his superiors if they wish. The only dick move is a cop in uniform using his position to pick on a citizen who is legally exercising his right to carry. Language is not the main issue but it's a turn off

Meh. I know the law regarding carry, and I'm not changing my mode of carry based on the opinions of anyone. Cop or not, I'd be annoyed by unsolicited advice, but not any more or less so because he was a cop.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville

This^^^^^^^^ 100%
    I am sick of all the little turds that take the holier than thou stance. Why not just put your big boy panties on, say ok to the LEO snd walk away. Rather than trying to exercise your rights and "opinion" after the fact when you lacked the intestinal fortitude to do it at the time? Is it really that important?
    I happen to think that CC is the way to go myself but for different reasons. It's worked well for me for a long time in a lot of different hostile places where it would have been a target indicator if I had been OC. Your life, your choice. I hope neither one of us finds out we were wrong.

Bob

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    This.

It's nice to find someone who can see the bigger picture posting on this forum. The OP's childish whining is the only part of the incident I found irritating. The cop had his opinion and stated it (albeit unsolicited.) Frankly, what the cop told him is correct. But, regardless of one's stance related to OC, the creation of the post to whine was the only thing I found disappointing.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I totally agree hecklers veto and all that and I get that but as someone who is use to some salty opinionated talk from people of all professions I really don't think that was that bad an encounter. Everyone wants to be an expert so as long as he isn't saying YOU CANT or YOU ARE FORBIDDEN or other hogwash just take it as uninvited free advise worth exactly what you paid for it. I mean if it was some old hag in line getting on you for buying smokes or the gatoraide rep telling you powerade tastes like horsep!ss who cares.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    LOL, somebody doesn't know his history.

Top Bottom