• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    This is why I want to take mine out shooting again. It's hard to see but I'm just a little uneasy about the amount of movement between the frame and slide on the end...

I'm not sure what you are worrying about here. I just tried three different polymer framed pistols and all three did that. Not sure if steel framed would do it. Have you actually observed a problem with it?

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    I'm not sure what you are worrying about here. I just tried three different polymer framed pistols and all three did that. Not sure if steel framed would do it. Have you actually observed a problem with it?

Nope no problems yet, just kind of noticed it recently. It doesn't worry me tooo much, it just doesn't seem ideal to me for accuracy or knowing that there is not much there that appears to be holding the slide on in that area while in full battery.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Did some digging on the Kahr forum, and it seems the early K40 had a standard carbon steel slide and not stainless. Please don't take me wrong, I am trying to help.

My PM9 is the silver upper, and there are no markings to indicate it is stainless.

Are you sure it is the later stainless slide and not the early carbon steel?

Found this, haven't investigated any further, but..
    is this k40 worth it? - KahrTalk Forums

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sorry to hear about your problems, sj kahr k40. Sounds like you got one of the earlier K40s in carbon steel, that since have been discontinued:
    model 4040: Carbon Steel, Black Oxide
    model 4041: Carbon Steel, Nickel Finish
    model 4042: Carbon Steel, Black T Finish
    models 4043-4048 had Stainless Steel
    Doesn't sound like it is the best choice for regular carry due to the potential rusting issues.

More model info here.
    You can use the serial number to figure out when you K40 was built here.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    According to Kahr my slide is stainless, that is what they emailed me earlier today:dunno:

It was the shiny black model, now it's flat black:(

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    According to Kahr my slide is stainless, that is what they emailed me earlier today:dunno:

It was the shiny black model, now it's flat black:(

Wow. I figured it had to be the carbon steel based on your description of the problem. My CW9 has been good. Good luck with whatever solution you come up with.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Im thinking maybe you got a fluke gun. Kahr did have a lifetime warranty at one point, call them back and politely ask for a supervisor? Or sell it to me :D

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Im thinking maybe you got a fluke gun. Kahr did have a lifetime warranty at one point, call them back and politely ask for a supervisor? Or sell it to me :D

I asked for an email from a supervisor, don't know what will happen, I just looked at it soaking and it looks like the rust is gone, the back plate shows lots of wear on the inside, you can see were the firing pin plunger put an indent in it:dunno:

Gonna get a back plate and run it ugly :rockwoot:

Maybe someday I will get it refinished:dunno:

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    You are no fun, first the mags, then the mag carrier and now the gun all in one day you disappoint me 3 times

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    You are no fun, first the mags, then the mag carrier and now the gun all in one day you disappoint me 3 times

I'm kinda stuck with the gun, can't afford a new one so I gotta make this one work or I'm stuck with just a LCR for a carry gun.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I'm not sure but Kahr offered to glass bead blast it:dunno: I might take you up on this after Xmas, I want a big dot anyway

Maybe I'll have it duracoated PINK:rockwoot:
    Or PINK and black tiger stripes:D

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    BTW, did this happen suddenly, or creep up on you? Nearly all stainless steels contain enough ferrite to rust, eventually. Premature rusting would be most likely caused by no or improper passivation, IMO.

Top Bottom