• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I had my first negative encounter with an officer today.

My fiance and I were picking up some soda from Wal-Greens (corner of Edison and Ironwood), and as we just finished checking out, I hear from behind me "Are you an off duty officer?" I turn to answer, and I see it is a South Bend PD officer. I reply "No, open carry is legal in Indiana, I have my license." In turn he insists it is not. I told him I had my license, and it does not say how you must carry; I also told him he was more than welcome to run it if he would like.

While he was running my license, he continued to insist that it was illegal to open carry, and that I must have it concealed in the State of Indiana, again I told him that Indiana allows open carry, it does not specify on the license. As he persisted I asked him to show me where in the law it says anything about concealed. He told me he did not have a book with the laws with him. We went back and forth while he waited for the license to be confirmed, where he said things like "This isnt Texas, you cant just walk around with a gun out in the open" to which I informed him that he is right, this is not Texas, Texas is a concealed only state.

A moment before the license came back confirmed, he begins to tell me that he wants me to cover it up and go to my car. I politely refused, unless he could show me where in the state law it said I had to. To that he simply said "I dont have to show you were it says that, I am telling you. Do you understand what I am telling you?" Again, I insisted that unless he could show me otherwise, I was not required to, and I would not. It is about this time that he started to get extremely rude. He called me a smart ass, belligerent, and a whimp. He also informed that Wal-Greens and any other store could tell me to leave because they certainly would not feel safe with some guy they did not know carrying a gun in there store. I told him that I would gladly leave, if the STORE told me to. When I emphasized store, I looked over at the clerk, and he shrugged.

My license came back confirmed, over the radio it was worded properly, but Officer Maxey seemed a bit to focused on me to even notice. They read it back as a "Lifetime personal protection license to carry handguns". No mention of the word concealed. Interesting. He insisted one more time that I cover it up before I went to my car. I took my license back from him, grabbed my soda and walked to my vehicle. I put the soda in the back, and told my fiance I would be back in just a moment.

I walked back to Wal-Greens to request his card. At that time he was thrilled to offer it to me one back at his vehicle, and was quick to mention that he had my name, and he would track me down when he found the law. The way he said it was clearly intended to be deliberately intimidating. Really professional. On the back to his cruiser he continued his unprofessionalism, saying I couldnt even shoot that thing, and any five year old girl could come up and take it from me. He insisted that I did not need a gun, and that I was being irresponsible since criminals would come up and take it from me. I tried to inform him that nationwide, there have not really been any instances of that happening. To that he replied "Why dont you quit being a smart ass, shut up, and listen to what I have to say?". I just shook my head.

We got to his car and he told me not to stand behind him. Fine, I can understand that one. I told him I would stand wherever he wanted me to. To that he replied "Your damn right you will!". I have already lost count how many unprofessional, snide, and rude remarks he has made. I asked him if he has a copy of the laws, and he says he only has the small version, but he would call someone at the station who could tell me. So he calls the station. He asks the person he called if they had a copy of the "full law book" handy. They apparently did not, so he asked if they knew off hand what the law was that required concealed carry. When he was told that there was none, he says frustrated "Well I know that isnt what the license says, but what is the state law?!" followed by "You mean that people can walk around and have their guns taken from them? This guy couldnt keep a five year old from taking his gun, and you mean to tell me that he can just do that? Oh, and he is standing right here, listening to everything I say, great." "Well, when did that change? We are going to have criminals with guns everywhere, just taking them from people!" I asked him if I could have one of his cards, and he says "No, the name is Maxey. That is M-A-X-E-Y. MAXEY!" "Am I free to go?" "Yeah, go get away."

While I am not thrilled that he did not know the law, he could have been a bit more polite about the entire thing. Insisting that I cant shoot, calling me a smart ass, and saying things like a five year old girl could take my gun away from me were just uncalled for. I am going to send a letter addressed to him as a followup, and I am going to include a nice laminated copy of the law. I am also going to follow up with a letter addressed to the South Bend police chief, not that it will do any good.

Lastly, Officer Maxey, I hope you somehow wind up reading this thread. Do you even recall how much of a power trip you were on? I am confident in my abilities, and I am confident that I can maintain a level head. You dont have to worry about law abiding citizens, and you cant make demands that arent warranted. You shouldnt have to resort to intimidation. That sort of behavior is uncalled for, and frankly makes me a bit worried about any individual who would do so while armed, even an officer like yourself.
    I hope this doesn’t come back to bite me for not reading through the posts but it’d been in the best interest of the public for you to report this guy. Had he pulled this stunt with someone who wasn’t as level headed as you then things could’ve gotten bad, or at the very least, more uncomfortable than it already was. Apparently he didn’t learn the carry laws here in Indiana at the Academy. It also doesn’t help that South Bend learns liberally anyways (unless I’m wrong about that but I think that’s right).

I’ve always had good encounters with law enforcement for the most part (one was a jerk but it is what it is). However, had I been in your shoes I’d said from the get go it’s not illegal to open carry and unless he planned on detaining me I’d like to be left alone. I’d also pulled a Karen and asked to speak with his supervisor and file a formal complaint with the department. Law enforcement should at least know the basic carry laws if they’re going to work in a gun friendly state like Indiana.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'd say Officer...er, Sergeant Maxey won.

Complaint went nowhere.
    Got promoted.
    Retired with cake and pension.
    Years long thread on INGO in his honor.

All of us should aspire to such awesomeness.

:):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Complaint went nowhere.
    Got promoted.

He is damn lucky. With ignorance and professional incompetence like that, he is damn lucky he didnt cost the city tons of cash like Evansville lost. (the Zoo incident)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Would it be fair to say that INGO has Maxey Derangement Syndrome?

I mean...9 frickin' years is pretty long to go on about what is basically a cop being rude and wrong about one law.

I dunno, maybe he colluded with Russians or something.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Would it be fair to say that INGO has Maxey Derangement Syndrome?

I mean...9 frickin' years is pretty long to go on about what is basically a cop being rude and wrong about one law.

I dunno, maybe he colluded with Russians or something.

You must be new here.

:welcome: to :ingo:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To be fair, we dont talk about him regularly. Just when a "classic threads of INGO" comes up or a like minded cop in another town does something equally stupid. This bump was wholly appropriate given the circumstances.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    To be fair, we dont talk about him regularly. Just when a "classic threads of INGO" comes up or a like minded cop in another town does something equally stupid. This bump was wholly appropriate given the circumstances.

Or when there is any reference to 5 year old girls grabbing guns from OCers.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Complaint went nowhere.
    Got promoted.

Speak for yourself.
    I have achieved that level of awesomeness.
    Hence, I use a pseudonym.

Top Bottom