• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    nothing again tonight. The wind was still the wrong way for me, even though it wasn't blowing as hard. These deer are condioned to hunters and I think they've gone nocturnal.

I'll have to move down to my spots in the woods where the acorns are now.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    All this talk of being in the woods has me cleaning the .458 SOCOM and getting anxious for firearms season. Good luck to all the bow hunters.... and lets see some pics of the trophies!

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    My first opening weekend of bow season summary... Heard what sounded like deer so I used my doe bleat "can" heard a bleat back. 15 seconds later I had 3 doe at about 40 yards. Ended up getting a quartering away shot at about 20 yards. Get down from my climber find no blood ANY WHERE. Eventually find 1/2 my arrow covered in blood. Decided to look again in day light. Found NOTHING. I'm pissed. Good thing there is plenty of time left in the season for another chance. Congrats to those who got to fill a tag.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Well, filled my tag this afternoon! Saw this buck last night bedded down in a waterway 100 yds from my stand. Went back tonight and with a little luck and a few grunts, brought him in to 27yds. Shot him with my Mathews DXT with Rage broadheads, he went 50yds and piled up.

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics, i'll get some better ones in the morning.

10 points, 210lbs

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Shadownick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Morristown, IN
    Dad got him a 6 pointer opening morning. He came within 50 yards of me, but I couldn't get a good broadside shot with my bow. I texted my dad and told him he was heading his way. My dad said he looked at the text message, was texting me back, and saw a rack coming straight towards him through his fingers haha. It walked right underneath him; my dad turned around and took the shot from behind. It went right beside his spine, missing the back strap (Thank God!), penetrated his left lung, and went right into his heart. I told him that means he has to save the big one for me this year!

picture.php

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Good job all! I passed on a buck this morning. I heard him walking behind me, but it was pretty thick and I couldnt see him. Gave him a call and in he came! I ground hunt, and he was 5-7 yards away from me broadside. He was only a 4pointer though with about 6 inch tines. Although it would've been my first bow kill, I don't shoot immature bucks. I let him walk. Then had another deer come tearing through the woods. I dont really know why... but it was gone as fast as it came :dunno:. (couldnt tell for sure, but i think it was a doe. It was a ways off) Ill be heading back out this evening. I'm expecting to see some more activity tonight.

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    FINALLY BAGGED MY FIRST DEER EVER & DID IT IN MY FIRST BOW SEASON!
    at about 9:30am today (10-3-11) I had a small doe come near and was heading away so I let out a doe bleat and it came right back to me. I ended up getting a broadside pass through shot at about 15 yards. She took off and made it about 80 yards but it was an easy track. Felt great to get that first deer under my belt. Had it back home cleaned and butcherd in time to have fresh ground venison for dinner. can't wait to get back out next weekend!

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    FINALLY BAGGED MY FIRST DEER EVER & DID IT IN MY FIRST BOW SEASON!
    at about 9:30am today (10-3-11) I had a small doe come near and was heading away so I let out a doe bleat and it came right back to me. I ended up getting a broadside pass through shot at about 15 yards. She took off and made it about 80 yards but it was an easy track. Felt great to get that first deer under my belt. Had it back home cleaned and butcherd in time to have fresh ground venison for dinner. can't wait to get back out next weekend!

Congrats! :rockwoot:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Ugh, rough hunt. Darn near wore myself out hanging a tree stand. Was warm and I was soaked.

Took a shot at a doe and missed. Estimated she was 40 yards and shot and went just under her rib cage. Went to retrieve the arrow and stepped off 47 yards. She was quartered away, the arror flew a perfect path, just need to hold higher.

Still crying over my son leaving my rangefinder out in the rain and killing it :(

I'm learning and will keep at it, this will be my year.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Ugh, rough hunt. Darn near wore myself out hanging a tree stand. Was warm and I was soaked.

Took a shot at a doe and missed. Estimated she was 40 yards and shot and went just under her rib cage. Went to retrieve the arrow and stepped off 47 yards. She was quartered away, the arror flew a perfect path, just need to hold higher.

Still crying over my son leaving my rangefinder out in the rain and killing it :(

I'm learning and will keep at it, this will be my year.

A guy with over a 11000 posts should spend less time INGOing and more time shooting! :) You'll have another chance I know it! Aim small miss small brother! Good luck!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm an IT guy, INGO is up ALL the time ;)

and I do spend most of my time shooting.... it's just a Glock and not the Hoyt

buddy of mine has a rangefinder he's gonna let me borrow :rockwoot:

she was barely guartering away, so it was a pretty tight shot. Arrow was perfectly straight where I wanted it, just a hair low.

Gonna get a deer with my bow, I'm getting closer :D

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I'm an IT guy, INGO is up ALL the time ;)

and I do spend most of my time shooting.... it's just a Glock and not the Hoyt

buddy of mine has a rangefinder he's gonna let me borrow :rockwoot:

she was barely guartering away, so it was a pretty tight shot. Arrow was perfectly straight where I wanted it, just a hair low.

Gonna get a deer with my bow, I'm getting closer :D

I'm in the same boat as you Hickman. Got a couple with gun, zip with a bow. Had one shot on a small 6 last year and watched the arrow fly like a laser right over his back maybe .5 inches high and plant in the ground.

We learn from each experience good/bad. I have no doubt you will stick the next opportunity. All the work you put in will make it that much better.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom