• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    Hi guys. I'm looking at .40 again. Also peeping at 10mm and .45. I reload mostly and I know there's a big difference in availability. Availability locally and price. Help me settle on one. I shoot high volume but thoroughly enjoy load development and accuracy. I tried an older gentleman's m&p full size .45 last weekend and it was dead on at 25 and grouped very well with box ammo. I love the .40 though. Its cheap to load and conventional now. What to get????

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I recommend a handgun in .45 ACP, such as a 1911, that also has aftermarket .400 Corbon barrels available for it. Gives you the best of all three (.40 S&W, 10mm, and .45 ACP) in one gun. Brass for the .400 Corbon is easily made from .45 ACP using only the full length sizing die. Bullets are the standard .400" diameter of the .40 S&W and 10mm. If you go with the 1911, you can also get different recoil springs that will allow your gun to cycle with any just about any power level load you want in either caliber. The .400 Corbon factory brass (such as Starline) uses small primers, so if you get .45 ACP mixed range brass with both large and small primer pockets, you can choose to convert only the small primer pocket cases to .400 Corbon and it will mostly solve the problem of keeping your .45 ACP brass separated by primer size (which is otherwise a real pain).

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I prefer 10mm out of any of those. .45 is slow and fat and .40 is a cut down 10mm. If you don't reload I would probably pick .45 because shooting factory 10 can get very expensive and most factory ammo isnt loaded very heavy.

alopez96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2014
    Fishers
    I shoot both 40 and 45 in competition usually around 200-300 round or more a week. I do like the 40 as I feel like it is more manageable to shoot fast. 45 tend to be more costly to reload.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hi guys. I'm looking at .40 again. Also peeping at 10mm and .45. I reload mostly and I know there's a big difference in availability. Availability locally and price. Help me settle on one. I shoot high volume but thoroughly enjoy load development and accuracy. I tried an older gentleman's m&p full size .45 last weekend and it was dead on at 25 and grouped very well with box ammo. I love the .40 though. Its cheap to load and conventional now. What to get????

For me, 9mm, or .45 ..... BAD WRISTS .....

Too much full power .357 Mag., and .41 Mag., .44 Mag.,

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    A Glock 20 with a Lone Wolf 40 Conversion barrel can give you two out of three. You can practice for cheap with the 40, and carry the 10. The magazines are compatible so it really is just a barrel swap.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Since you're a reloaded, go ahead and get the big boy of the three: 10mm all the way
    Sig has fairly recently introduced their P220 Elite in that caliber, and it looks like a very nice gun, one which I believe Expat now has.
    I know I love my third gen S&W in that caliber, and it's my sole carry gun.
    There's just something so cool about having an auto that outdoes the vaunted .357 Magnum revolver.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For me, 9mm, or .45 ..... BAD WRISTS .....

Too much full power .357 Mag., and .41 Mag., .44 Mag.,

Yup. I think some posters are either missing "high volume" or haven't thought ahead to what their joints are going to feel like as they age. Of course, definitions of 'high volume' may be different, too.

Top Bottom