• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    For what it’s worth, did several months of research on 10mm handguns and settled on a Springfield XD-M with the 5.25” barrel. Should have it this coming week. Im not a “gun expert” by any means, but it just seemed like the right fit for me. I didn’t shoot it, but held the Glock 40 at the gun store and hated how it felt in my hand.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    forgot to mention Glock mags in my G30 with 10mm conversion barrel.

my G30 gen 4 came with three 10 rd mags that have a "pinky like part"
    G30 gen 4 flush mags are 9 rd
    the three10mm mags(G29) I bought are 10rd flush fit in my G30.

and I bought two G20 15 rd mags and
    two G21 15 rd mags that are both great.

Just makes choices

and usually at range I like the 10 rd mags for 45 or 10mm fun.

takes too much ammo & I like the feel and balance with 10rds

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    also my G20 that did not meet my accuracy needs I had factory barrel & KKM 6".

I easily out shot them both with my G30 10mm stormlake bbl which is std length 3.77"

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -Snip-
    My main use for the pistol would be range time and home defense.
    -Snip-

Since you want it for range time and home defense, concealability and weight is not a big factor.
    So I would suggest trying the Glock, Springfield, and 1911 types and see which is most comfortable for you and which you can shoot most accurately.
    BUT also consider round capacity for home defense.
    The Springfield XDm would also be a plus in this area.

Yes, 1911 type pistols are finer quality pistols for sure, but have a disadvantage of lower round capacity.

Personally, all I have experience with are the Glock 20, 29, and 40.
    Yes, they're boxy, utilitarian, dependable, and likely not the most stock accurate.
    But the 15 round capacity is a plus.

For range and home defense, of the 20, 29, or 40, I'd choose the 40 or the 20.
    The 40 has 15 round capacity, and with the 6.02" barrel, will get the best muzzle velocity.
    The 29 is better for concealed carry, and I did carry a 29 for some time and it was good.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Since you want it for range time and home defense, concealability and weight is not a big factor.
    So I would suggest trying the Glock, Springfield, and 1911 types and see which is most comfortable for you and which you can shoot most accurately.
    BUT also consider round capacity for home defense.
    The Springfield XDm would also be a plus in this area.

Yes, 1911 type pistols are finer quality pistols for sure, but have a disadvantage of lower round capacity.

Personally, all I have experience with are the Glock 20, 29, and 40.
    Yes, they're boxy, utilitarian, dependable, and likely not the most stock accurate.
    But the 15 round capacity is a plus.

For range and home defense, of the 20, 29, or 40, I'd choose the 40 or the 20.
    The 40 has 15 round capacity, and with the 6.02" barrel, will get the best muzzle velocity.
    The 29 is better for concealed carry, and I did carry a 29 for some time and it was good.

Brother if you have full monti 10mm loads in the mag and 9 does not get it done then you are in some serious Doo-Doo my friend.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Brother if you have full monti 10mm loads in the mag and 9 does not get it done then you are in some serious Doo-Doo my friend.

Depends on how many there are, where I am in the house when they break in, and the layout of the house.
    Yes, 9 shots of 10mm would be enough if it's one or two people, I'm downstairs on the main floor, and can immediately meet them as they come in.

Worst case is I'm cornered upstairs.
    I have one narrow enclosed stairway to come down to the main floor.
    I'd rather have more than 9 shots without reloading if I'm forced to shoot my way down the stairs to the main floor.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    10mm for range and home defense, you say?

Buy once, cry once.

If you can find one.

:)

[video=youtube;ghmbx7Np5dY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghmbx7Np5dY[/video]

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Depends on how many there are, where I am in the house when they break in, and the layout of the house.
    Yes, 9 shots of 10mm would be enough if it's one or two people, I'm downstairs on the main floor, and can immediately meet them as they come in.

Worst case is I'm cornered upstairs.
    I have one narrow enclosed stairway to come down to the main floor.
    I'd rather have more than 9 shots without reloading if I'm forced to shoot my way down the stairs to the main floor.

Why go down? Wait on the heads to pop up, shoot them. Rinse, repeat.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I have had a Glock 29, 20 and now the XDM 10mm 4.5. Ergonomically I prefer the XDM. It is very large, but if I wanted a concealable gun I would go with one of my other handguns. I have considered 1911 10mm's, but haven't made that jump just yet.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Or you could go this route. If you already own a Glock 20.
    CAA MCK for Glock 20.

I've shot 2.577" 5 shot groups at 50yd with this. 155gr XTP.
    3.263" 5 shot groups at 50yd with 200gr WFNGC.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    or
    don't sweep,
    barricade, call 911,
    defend your pisition,
    then, if needed,
    & give'm a pair of "middle fingers"

sort of like this-

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArtValley818_/status/1291704662882693120

911 is useless where I am. Minimum response time would be 20 minutes on a good day if a deputy were available. At night there are two deputies for the entire county most nights. I fully expect an hour or more. Then they have to find the driveway and get up to the house. More delay.

Yes, we will call 911 as soon as possible once it is safe to do so, but that's more of a cover our butts move than any real expectation of the cavalry coming.

We operate on "defend the position and call 911 back once the threat is over" principle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    911 is useless where I am. Minimum response time would be 20 minutes on a good day if a deputy were available. At night there are two deputies for the entire county most nights. I fully expect an hour or more. Then they have to find the driveway and get up to the house. More delay.

Yes, we will call 911 as soon as possible once it is safe to do so, but that's more of a cover our butts move than any real expectation of the cavalry coming.

We operate on "defend the position and call 911 back once the threat is over" principle.

Yeah screw a whole bunch of that barricade in place and defend. Not working out for us.
    If that works for you no worries. We all have different ways of viewing these things and I do respect that.

Top Bottom