Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I recently looked at..
    gather my family in one room.
    barricade with dresser & call 911.
    defend our position.

previously, I would have tried to sweep the lower level way too soon....

I just got some advice...that patience is good.

and I would not wait long to sweep if I could not count on reasonable 911 response time.

just watched American Sniper so I am not real keen on sweeping.. cause I am not Military or Police trained. so I am not qualified just saying.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recently looked at..
    gather my family in one room.
    barricade with dresser & call 911.
    defend our position.

previously, I would have tried to sweep the lower level way too soon....

I just got some advice...that patience is good.

and I would not wait long to sweep if I could not count on reasonable 911 response time.

just watched American Sniper so I am not real keen on sweeping.. cause I am not Military or Police trained. so I am not qualified just saying.

Your family your plan. Be safe in your own domain.
    We are 1 level so sweeping is not something that descending a staircase is involved. I have done it a few times when things go bump in the night. Now we are set up with security cameras so if I am awakened by the noise of someone attempting to breach I could meet the threat head on. And trust me it would be noisy.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Your family your plan. Be safe in your own domain.
    We are 1 level so sweeping is not something that descending a staircase is involved. I have done it a few times when things go bump in the night. Now we are set up with security cameras so if I am awakened by the noise of someone attempting to breach I could meet the threat head on. And trust me it would be noisy.

yes, so true, so nice to think these things thru ahead of time.
    before I just thought I am good enough to use my handgun or rifle skills.
    but now I think what happens when I'm down?
    my wife does not have the skills.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    10mm for range and home defense, you say?

Buy once, cry once.

If you can find one.

:)

[video=youtube;ghmbx7Np5dY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghmbx7Np5dY[/video]

It's so beautiful! Haha, I guess it's a good thing that you can't find one of these right now, however it is definitely my new obsession.

JGalt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Boone County
    I'm a little partial to my Smith 610 and 1086. The 610 is one of the most accurate revolvers I've ever fired. The 1086 is a much more comfortable fit for me than the Glocks.

Your mileage may vary....... but these work for me.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I'm a little partial to my Smith 610 and 1086. The 610 is one of the most accurate revolvers I've ever fired. The 1086 is a much more comfortable fit for me than the Glocks.

Your mileage may vary....... but these work for me.

those are some mighty rare birds.
    never shot either but I am partial to the 1006. I shot it extremely well but it's heavy as I remembet its been 25 yrs ago. The 1086 was smaller version I think for FBI agents or something.
    The 610 I just don't understand.
    It called 10mm auto so moon clips/revolvers are just odd for me.
    And I love glocks now that I learned how to shoot 'em without usin a pinky to get great accuracy.
    and my mileage varies as I shoot but that's all in the fun.

elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis
    What does this mean?

To the OP:
    I’ve had the G20 and G29 for years. Got one of the first G29 and G40 that came out. I own13 different models of 10mm pistols and my hands down fave is the G20 followed by the XDM. I like my 1911s ok but the Glocks just handle full load 10mm without complaint. I have now hunt deer three years with the G40 with an RDS and killed two deer, one at 49 yards. It’s the smoothest shooting 10mm I own.

+1 on the G20, I love how it shoots!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    With 10mm being all the rage now, I'm trying to figure out it's advantage over 10mm "short" aka .40 S&W & 44 Mag.
    I still have .40 cal pistols that could become "hiking / in-town" guns. I'm not sure if they are capable of taking down a bear. MAybe a BIG bear. I hike Alaska often.
    Maybe a 10mm would be a better hiking gun than my heavy 44 Mag + a 2nd gun in town to defend against two legged critters.

What's everyone here using these 10mm for?

What's the typical lb/ft vs lb/ft between all these & what's it take to put down a BIG bear?
    10mm = 520-575?
    40S&W = 360-475?
    44 Mag = 900-1175?

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    With 10mm being all the rage now, I'm trying to figure out it's advantage over 10mm "short" aka .40 S&W & 44 Mag.
    I still have .40 cal pistols that could become "hiking / in-town" guns. I'm not sure if they are capable of taking down a bear. MAybe a BIG bear. I hike Alaska often.
    Maybe a 10mm would be a better hiking gun than my heavy 44 Mag + a 2nd gun in town to defend against two legged critters.

What's the typical lb/ft vs lb/ft between all these & what's it take to put down a BIG bear?
    10mm = 520-575?
    40S&W = 360-475?
    44 Mag = 900-1175?

No idea about what it takes to put down a bear, but I took a quick look at a few varieties of 10mm ammo that I have and the energy is roughly in the 700 ft lb range on average (several different weights between 155 and 220). I only looked at FMJ and hard nose, since you wouldn't probably use hollow points for hunting.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

10mm = 520-575?
    40S&W = 360-475?
    44 Mag = 900-1175?

40S&W is maxed out.

You cannot load them any hotter.

Guns designed for 10mm are built far stouter and you have much more freedom in loads.

10mm is a handloaders dream for semi-autos. My nuclear rounds are over 800ft-lbs and what I carry in grizzly country.

To take down a big bear you really need a hard hitting rifle or shotgun with slugs. But given my 10mm is much lighter to backpackwith, it and bear spray are a good compromise.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

10mm = 520-575?
    40S&W = 360-475?
    44 Mag = 900-1175?

The difference between 10mm and 40 is about 150 fps - 200 fps with Underwood ammo in most loads. So despite the fandom, there is a bit of myth to the "power" of the 10mm. In reality, it is more comparable to 357 magnum in ballistics than 44 magnum. With a stout hard cast load, I think there is probably not a world of difference between 40 S&W and 10mm out of a pistol. The difference between 40 S&W and 10mm is certainly less than the difference between 10mm and 44 magnum. Underwood has one 44 magnum load that gets 1500 ft. lbs. of energy out of a 340 grain bullet. You ain't doing that with any 10mm.

I think a 10mm loaded with 200 grain hard cast flat nose is the minimum that I would want for hiking in brown bear country. I don't think that the extra power of the 44 magnum beats the capacity of a Glock 20 or XD 10mm, since a 10mm hardcast should provide sufficient penetration on anything short of a T-rex. Plus the trigger and sights on a semi auto pistol are superior to most revolver options.

Of course, you could always just carry a S&W 3953 9mm. :):

bear.jpg

https://www.americanhunter.org/arti...ishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I encounter two very large brown bears @ Indy zoo about 30 yrs ago.
    There was a large deep moat between visitors and the bears were just about eye level. They must have been about 8 ft tall and looked fully grown.

It was at that moment that I thought of how Fred Bear might have felt being that close and having a guide with a heavy rifle.

I would not want to face an angry brown bear with even a 12ga dbl barrel with slugs.

no disrespect to 44 mag. 10mm 40s&w.... it just ain't enough

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I encounter two very large brown bears @ Indy zoo about 30 yrs ago.
    There was a large deep moat between visitors and the bears were just about eye level. They must have been about 8 ft tall and looked fully grown.

It was at that moment that I thought of how Fred Bear might have felt being that close and having a guide with a heavy rifle.

I would not want to face an angry brown bear with even a 12ga dbl barrel with slugs.

no disrespect to 44 mag. 10mm 40s&w.... it just ain't enough

Haha, glad to hear it! I would have serious concerns about anyone that would want to face an angry brown bear (or any angry bear). Perhaps this is just awareness of my marksmanship in a non-bear situation, but I'd feel much better with 16 rounds of 10mm, rather than 2 or 6 of whatever else, were I to be in an angry bear situation. :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had a G20SF and loved it. Only sold it because (at that time) it wasn't legal to hunt with and I was tired of cranking the reloading handle for every round I wanted to shoot. If I ever replace it I'll get a G20 Gen4 and be done. I'm not a fan of the MOS glocks and I think the lack of threads a screw can get with those is a shame in engineering on glocks part.

In 2018 I was in Alaska and asked a guy behind the counter what guys were buying for bear protection in the backwoods and he said almost exclusively G20's. Some old timers still humped around 44mag revolvers, but for the most part people appreciate the weight savings of a glock, the capacity, and can hit something with a 10mm.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The difference between 10mm and 40 is about 150 fps - 200 fps with Underwood ammo in most loads. /
    So you are saying Underwood loads at the lightest weight levels for 10mm, which gets it close to the 9mm weight, has MV at the level you quoted? Funny when I look they aren't nearly that close. Or are you comparing 180/200 grain bullets with 124 grain?

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a STI 2011 Perfect 10, a S&W 1006, and an EAA custom. Had a Glock 20 gen 3. I carry the STI for somethings, like the S&W best, but shoot the EAA best. Could not hit a side of a barn shooting from inside with the Glock, just can not shot a Glock. If Ruger made the RedHawk in 10mm I would have one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    I have a STI 2011 Perfect 10, a S&W 1006, and an EAA custom. Had a Glock 20 gen 3. I carry the STI for somethings, like the S&W best, but shoot the EAA best. Could not hit a side of a barn shooting from inside with the Glock, just can not shot a Glock. If Ruger made the RedHawk in 10mm I would have one.
    Interesting. I seem to shoot my G20 and G29 (both Still Fat's) as good as my other pistols and wheel guns. Of course, that ain't saying much but I feel confident enough in my 29 to make it my daily carry. Just in case I run into some Lootie and the Riotfish types out there.

Top Bottom