10 Things to do before The Economy Collapses (FerFal)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is from "FerFal", the Argentinian who survived the 2001 economic collapse. Now he writes about it to help other people survive similar events.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aF0t7tn0dw[/ame]

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    In many situations, just being in shape can give you a huge advantage over others'.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    You should change your title to "9 Things ...", as there are only nine items on his list. :D

Overall a very intelligent lecture on what to do to get prepared.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    yep- only 9 things.

1. Buy a handgun and learn how to use it
    2. Start carrying the essential preparednedd gear on a daily basis (EDC)
    3. Stock up on food and water (long term storage)
    4. Get in shape and start working out three times per week
    5. Put together a home survival/emergency kit (First aid, flashlights, batteries, camping gear)
    6. have a "cash stash" and put some of your savings into gold and silver
    7. Review your expenses and monthly budget. Start with additional financial plans
    8. Reniforce your family and friends relationships
    9. Improve your home and personal security

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm not sold on the generator. I think a house with lights on during a SHTF blackout would be a major target.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    without some kind of refrigeration, you really limit yourself on what you get to eat, and when you get to eat it.

You don't need a generator to run the fridge though. You can hook up a regular old gas engine to the compressor(s) and turn it on a couple times a day.

It would be very well worth the fuel used. Especially when you recognize how incredibly useful freezing is for your food preps.

That can get you through the first winter before you get your farm up and going.

hem_ker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Plymouth
    And the cool part about this is even if the economy doesn't collapse all those things are excellent things to do anyway. Believe me, I'm no pollyanna on our economic situation, just thought it was pretty cool how practical those suggestions are! Thanks for posting!

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    OK I gotta learn how to run this contraption.... Mom told me they used to can meat
    back in the depression. Just about any fruit or vegetable also. Generators are noisy
    and that also attracts goons. OK for outages maybe not so much for long term...

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany

You don't need a generator to run the fridge though. You can hook up a regular old gas engine to the compressor(s) and turn it on a couple times a day.

Most all compressors are hermetic (or a variation of this where the compressor and motor are enclosed within the same housing) and will not have an external crankshaft to couple to the engine. Where this would work is if you could get a refrigeration unit & insulated trailer. Fuel is still going to be an issue unless you have a boatload of it squirreled away some place safe.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    OK I gotta learn how to run this contraption.... Mom told me they used to can meat
    back in the depression. J

Use a pressure cooker. You have to make sure you get the internal temp high enough and a pressure cooker is the way to go.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I think a generator is a bad idea. If shtf and the electricity never comes back, you will run out of fuel. More likely, you will run out of fuel in a few weeks anyway. Our forefathers survived without electricity. Learn about them. Ever been in a cave, or a root cellar? Below ground, there is a constant temp in the mid 50's. Free refrigeration.

Top Bottom