• ...and so much more!
  • Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Back before my pinched nerve became a real issue I used to really enjoy shooting my revolvers at long range. The more you do it the better at it you’ll get….. it’s a blast (no pun intended)!!!

Reactions: Leo

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've shot 8" round steel at 50yd with my nephew's Springfield XDm 45 competition standing no rest. That was about 4+ years ago. Shooting a handgun much farther out with iron sights at an 8" or smaller target would be hard on me because I probably would have a rough time seeing it unless it's painted florescent orange with a black background :lmfao:

It takes a very fine front sight to see a 8" target at 50yd on a handgun at least for me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I took 8 rams off the 100 yard rail w my 648 6" in Field Pistol.
    The first 5 slowly fell, as I was hitting them dead center.

Had no spotter. Guy comes to spot for the last 5 and says hit em above center.

Yeah right LOL

Of course I flubbed 2 and didn't clear the rail.

Used to shoot clay pigeons laying on the bank all the time w various handguns, offhand.......at 100.

Personally, I don't think 100 to be far.

But with aging eyes and arthritis, and not hitting the range multiple times a week.............nowadays 100 would be my max w a .44 on deer.
    And I'd be fine with shooting everything 50 yards or less.
    Iron sights.

Scope the Contender and will stretch em out :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shot my buds Delta Elite at 50 yards on paper. Cover group w palm of hand, but it was off to the side and up a bit.

Cool rig w max'd 200's. Didn't seem hot, but supposedly a good hunting round. One w good adj sights might be tempting.

Tried 200 yards w a rattly old WW2 1911. Good Lord............not even close.
    We tried many times. No real trend, it sprayed em everywhere.

Beyond comical.

Was one of the most fun times I've had at a range. Dang if we didn't try............hard.
    It was futile.

And a blast.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    DS,

Typically one adjusts sights for a 6 oclock hold.
    If the target is farther away then hold the front sight high and take a 6 oclock hold.

Holding over does work, if you have an definitive aiming point.
    Too many shooters just hold over the target (pick spot on target and then come up), they don't pick another definitive aiming point (one may not be available).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Deer was a dink, cant even say the shot was impressive, as I picked wrong hold on #1. Got him on #2. 150 yards.
    3rd Dew was for photo op, had one on way up and another in stand.....had to get down as I was antsy for some reason LOL

That gun LOVED 200gr XTP on max charge of WW 296.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
      images.jpeg
      13.5 KB · Views: 10
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Was shooting today and testing my limits. About 50 yards with 5" 9mm 1911 was as far as I could hit a 8" plate with consistency.
    I'm old though and could probably use some spectacles....lol

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you look back in time to the older “silly wet” shooters they knocked em down iron sights NP at 100.
    contenders often had aftermarket sights which were smaller than the standard T/C irons.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The last time I shot 100y steel I had went having no idea I'd be shooting 100y steel. I shot another guy's .22TCM and it was like a laser beam. PowTING...PowTING. Then I shot my .38 SWC mouse loads. Pow.....................Ting. Pow...............Ting. You could eat a decent sized sandwich waiting for the impact. That was a torso sized steel, and it did take me about 5 rounds to figure out the elevation, but once I got that sorted I was 6/6 the next cylinder.

Side note, I was aiming then raising the front sight up being careful not to move it off the line. I've since learned from some actual long range revolver shooters (like 700-1000y) that's the stupid way to do it. Aim, then drop the rear sight to create the angle and then you can still see the target and have a better view of sight alignment.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The last time I shot 100y steel I had went having no idea I'd be shooting 100y steel. I shot another guy's .22TCM and it was like a laser beam. PowTING...PowTING. Then I shot my .38 SWC mouse loads. Pow.....................Ting. Pow...............Ting. You could eat a decent sized sandwich waiting for the impact. That was a torso sized steel, and it did take me about 5 rounds to figure out the elevation, but once I got that sorted I was 6/6 the next cylinder.

Side note, I was aiming then raising the front sight up being careful not to move it off the line. I've since learned from some actual long range revolver shooters (like 700-1000y) that's the stupid way to do it. Aim, then drop the rear sight to create the angle and then you can still see the target and have a better view of sight alignment.
    Are the 22 TCM a lot of fun? I was considering getting one a few years ago.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Much as it is with any weapon being stretched into extended range, sight regulation and quality begins to really separate the men from the boys.

Having done a little 10m Precision, and a ton of, uh, long long range rimfire shooting,

and having been kinda dared to do so,

I decided to take the S&W 41 out to the 200 yard line on the SR target (13” black, bull).

I think I recall it was about a 30” group, for a couple mags..I know they were all well into the scoring rings (37”). I fired them in a precision seated position, wedged between my knees. Punched nice clean round holes through the 3/4 ply.

It would have been hell standing there trying to catch them, that’s for sure.

I’ve since taken that pistol, and a certain .357 out to “improbable” range quite a bit, and found them to be pretty effective. Made a solid hit (literally almost right on the nose) on a feral somethin-or-other at about 105 with that .357. The handloaded 158 Nosler made it, but the target didn’t.

Hammered a groundhog at 15-feet-and-closing with it once as well. Ha! A-hole chose to miss his morning java vs the wrong huckleberry on the wrong day. I’m not sure what my plan would have been if I had NOT had the pistol.. ?!

Back to the point at hand.

GOOD pistols with good sights and triggers can be pretty well relied-upon in the 50-100 yard range for sure, and 150-200 is not out of the question for a shooter that wants to learn.

Just don’t expect to take your subcompact night-sight carry gun out to 100 yards and shoot pop cans.

Keeping with that theme, I tested range ammo in my Shield 9 at 50 yards. It’s pretty bad. 16” is about as well as I could do for 2 mags. Can’t hit sh** at 100..probably car door size.

I should try that again with better ammo and hopefully a better shooter.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    It was neat, but I wouldn't buy one myself.

Are the 22 TCM a lot of fun? I was considering getting one a few years ago.
    I've had the same question...looks like it'd be a lotta fun...but is it really worth the $$ spent?
    The best 'necked-down' round I've found is the .357SIG with the .355 diameter bullet (9mm) and a necked-down .40 S&W casing to create a bottle-neck design! It has a really flat trajectory, through, which makes it great for longer distance target shooting and, with 5-6" barrels, one is getting upwards and into the 1400-1500 fps range, velocity wise...that's saaaamokin'!

Top Bottom