• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. While not always true, it is by and large.

We had a guy who was our weld school instructor at work. Supposedly he has all kinds of certifications in welding. But in his time on the production floor, I have not heard one person say anything good about his welds.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. While not always true, it is by and large.

We had a guy who was our weld school instructor at work. Supposedly he has all kinds of certifications in welding. But in his time on the production floor, I have not heard one person say anything good about his welds.

I wonder if this has something to do with the lack of free market forces in schools. Maybe incompetent people flock to jobs that have no accountability or competition.

Nah, couldn't be it.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Teaching is its own skill. Many experts in a particular field are horrible at passing this knowledge on.

Most great coaches were average players, and some were terrible players.

The best teacher you'll ever have is a guy who just learned the same thing himself. He knows something the expert has forgotten - how to learn that skill. The expert has probably forgotten how he does half of what he does. It's passed on to unconscious competence and has become a part of him. The expert thinks you're absorbing things you're not, because it's so simple for him.

This isn't true 100% of the time, but it's true quite a lot of the time.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    The 'Certified' Teacher Myth - WSJ.com

You seem to really take issue with capitalism in general. Most of your arguments so far reflect this.

Interesting how the article is on the opinion section of the WSJ, but anyway, the article talks about how in his opinion teacher unions are trying to restricting alternative certifications. Not directly what i was referring to but still, it's there.

I wasn't taking issue with capitalism in general, i was taking issue with the comment that businesses, as a whole, are better run than schools, as a whole.

I get so bored arguing with people who ignore my points. Agree, disagree, argue, but don't pass over them as if I didn't bother to write anything.

Yawn.

Sorry you feel that way, i replied to everything you wrote. I guess you didn't hear what you wanted to hear. If you're not too tired, just copy the points you think i ignored and i'll readdress them.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Teaching is its own skill. Many experts in a particular field are horrible at passing this knowledge on.

Most great coaches were average players, and some were terrible players.

The best teacher you'll ever have is a guy who just learned the same thing himself. He knows something the expert has forgotten - how to learn that skill. The expert has probably forgotten how he does half of what he does. It's passed on to unconscious competence and has become a part of him. The expert thinks you're absorbing things you're not, because it's so simple for him.

This isn't true 100% of the time, but it's true quite a lot of the time.

And that would be me. Occasionally I get people to train to work my job for the other shifts. I hate training. The newb better be damned attentive and pick my brain because I'm not going to hold them down and draw pictures for them. Teaching is not my gift at all.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't mind taxes for USEFUL things...or when the money is well spent. But i hate payuing for teachers that should have been fired decades ago except that the union protects their incompetence. I hate paying for 1 guy to dig a hole...and 5 guys to stand around and supervise him doing it.

Government wastes far too much money.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I voted to approve the 0.19% tax by our school district. It passed. I'm glad.

This should help the school district and thereby support my property value ( so I can pay even more tax ). Woot woot!!!

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I voted to approve the 0.19% tax by our school district. It passed. I'm glad.

This should help the school district and thereby support my property value ( so I can pay even more tax ). Woot woot!!!

You are excited about paying more taxes even though the schools are never held accountable for their out of control spending?

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    You are excited about paying more taxes even though the schools are never held accountable for their out of control spending?

Please illustrate the "out of control" spending in the Sheridan community school district and your plans to resolve it. Upon review I'll advise if I'm still happy with my vote and the 72-28 victory the referendum passed by.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    One of the areas of government spending that really grates on me is buildings. I built a 50x80 steel building with a 40 year warranty. It has a full 5" concrete slab. I also put in 3 12'x16 and 1 10'x10 overhead doors. I've got it wired also and have about $75k in it so far.

Ever seen a state highway garage? I think every one I've seen is brick or concrete block. Ever seen some of the firehouses? Brick monstrosities. Why can't the government build pole buildings for this stuff? About the only time I see a pole building for a government building are really small towns. My school district was building a concession stand for a baseball or softball field for over $90. I sold my old 1800sf house with .8 acre for 2/3rd the price of that concession stand.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I would of paid you $90 for your old house.;)

Sorry, that was $90k. And this is a rural school district that averages less than 100 kids per grade. And they seem to be extremely reasonable on spending COMPARED to other schools. But they still waste way too much money.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Schools didn't have A/C when I was there. They are out most of the summer so I think they can save a lot of money right there.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Please illustrate the "out of control" spending in the Sheridan community school district and your plans to resolve it. Upon review I'll advise if I'm still happy with my vote and the 72-28 victory the referendum passed by.

Did you research it yourself so you could place an informed vote? What did your research produce?

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN

Well, if you weren't already aware there is a .12% tax increase going into effect beginning 2012 for the new elementary school. NOW, there will ALSO be a .19 % for the NEW referendum. There was also quite a bit of unnecessary remodeling done to the high school. The old pool became a very large computer lab, then they turned around and made it into a library. Plus all the other additions...and as expat said they now have AC. We didn't.

The superintendent is OVERPAID, and they have hired numerous new teachers who they claim would lose jobs if the referendum didn't pass. But, if you do the math they still hired faculty.

Also, here is a link with plenty of info...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Say-NO-on-Nov-8-To-SCS-Operating-Referendum/218272421570556

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Did you research it yourself so you could place an informed vote? What did your research produce?

I see increasing class sizes and reductions in music/art/etc. These are not good changes. The tax rates here are lower than surrounding communities.

I did not review the budget, but if provided proof of waste and a plan to resolve it, I would gladly support THAT effort. In the mean time, I believe I made the correct, informed, decision.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I see increasing class sizes and reductions in music/art/etc. These are not good changes. The tax rates here are lower than surrounding communities.

I did not review the budget, but if provided proof of waste and a plan to resolve it, I would gladly support THAT effort. In the mean time, I believe I made the correct, informed, decision.

If you think more money is necessary in those areas, why not just donate more of your own money? Why force others to pay for things that you value?

Top Bottom