• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Wyldeshot, Have you considered .460 Rowland? If 10mm gives 728 fpe, .460 Rowland will give you 957 fpe. And you can still back it down to 355 fpe by shooting .45 acp out of it. I think of it as magnum power on a shock absorber.

Buzz Saw, Thank you.

Really!!! I have not thought of this. You have my ears if I can shoot .45 out of it too. I don't know much about the .460 round.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have not done much work on 1911's. I have build several AR's and performed some basic work on other firearms. I might have to look into this.

CM and others are fond of saying that you assemble an AR and build a 1911. I completely agree with this now. It took me weeks to slowly hand-fit, polish and rust-blue the parts.

But when I pick it up, it feels as though it has a soul.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    CM and others are fond of saying that you assemble an AR and build a 1911. I completely agree with this now. It took me weeks to slowly hand-fit, polish and rust-blue the parts.

But when I pick it up, it feels as though it has a soul.

This sounds like a satisfying challenge. What are some good locations to purchase parts?

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Really!!! I have not thought of this. You have my ears if I can shoot .45 out of it too. I don't know much about the .460 round.

I would ask CM's thoughts on the .460. I have been head over heels for one for years. The brass looks like a .45 acp except 1/16" longer. The lead is seated deeper.

Here is the door to the rabbit hole: https://www.460rowland.com/shop/
    Lots of choices to be made. Muzzle brakes required and will make pistol longer.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    This sounds like a satisfying challenge. What are some good locations to purchase parts?

The frame and slide were picked up from an online retailer that no longer carries them.

I have heard good things about Caspian, but I would defer to CM on that.

I used Wilson Combat parts, so I was able to source them from eBay and Amazon. Also, mine is a 45acp. I've not stepped into the 10mm realm.

However, I have handled one of CM's 10mm 1911's (with machine work from AllenM). It put anything in a gunshop glass case to shame.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The frame and slide were picked up from an online retailer that no longer carries them.

I have heard good things about Caspian, but I would defer to CM on that.

I used Wilson Combat parts, so I was able to source them from eBay and Amazon. Also, mine is a 45acp. I've not stepped into the 10mm realm.

However, I have handled one of CM's 10mm 1911's (with machine work from AllenM). It put anything in a gunshop glass case to shame.

I've built a ton of guns using Caspian components mostly because for the longest time they were the only real game in town. A lot of the high end builders have been using JEM products which are pretty nice. The good thing about Caspian is you can get pretty much any machining options done ahead of time and then concentrate on putting it together. We've been talking about doing a little informal seminar end of October.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I've built a ton of guns using Caspian components mostly because for the longest time they were the only real game in town. A lot of the high end builders have been using JEM products which are pretty nice. The good thing about Caspian is you can get pretty much any machining options done ahead of time and then concentrate on putting it together. We've been talking about doing a little informal seminar end of October.

Yeah, I have 'contact AllenM about the meet-up' on my to-do list.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    10mm's are a ramped barrel design and require the right frame to accommodate this. Frames can be modified to accept depending on the ramp.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville

A seminar would be awesome. I’m not sure if building a 1911 is over my skill level or not. It would be interesting to try. I don’t think I’d be up to try a 10mm. I don’t even know what kind of machining I’d want or need at this point.

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    OP. Last weekend I was in Sportsman's Warehouse in Fort Wayne and they had a Kimber 10mm 1911 for $829. I didn't catch the model info.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have an STI 2011 6" that was EDC for years, a S&W 1006 which I think is the best ever made production 10mm gun, and an EAA in SA which out shoots all I have owned from a Ransom Rest. Owned a Glock 20 but couldn't hit with it, to many years with a 1911. Today I would talk to CM and Allen and build one or see if Allen had one he has built that he would sale.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Wanting a Delta myself, set up for hot rounds, probally have it comped.
    I have a 1911 with this stealth comp on it. It is Wayyy nice, but now Tussey Custom wants $1k to have one installed, so will go a different route.
    Here is a an old pic of the stealth comp... for inquiring minds.
    Will take an actual pic of the pistol in the next couple of days.

stealth-45-3-photos.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Wanting a Delta myself, set up for hot rounds, probally have it comped.
    I have a 1911 with this stealth comp on it. It is Wayyy nice, but now Tussey Custom wants $1k to have one installed, so will go a different route.
    Here is a an old pic of the stealth comp... for inquiring minds.
    Will take an actual pic of the pistol in the next couple of days.

View attachment 94181

Tussey just died so you'll definitely have to go another route.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Was that a Tussey gun?

Convoluted story that.
    This pistol was produced by Brolin arms, called the "Carry Comp"
    Bought it used for a song from a closing gun store... it was one of the last things they had.
    The thing turned out to be a jam-o matic.
    Was looking to have some custom pistol work done, and while looking at the Tussey custom web sight, noticed they had the "stealth comp" as an option.
    Called them up and talked to Terry, asked him if he could get it to run for me.
    At first he was like "NO WAY!"
    He said the guy who started Brolin arms once worked for him and started his own shop...stealing some of Terry's ideas, like the stealth comp, but couldn't get things to run reliably since he was a poor smith.
    Anyhoo, after some ego stroking from me, said he would work on the gun, so I sent it to him and had it totally gone through.
    It runs like a top now, so it is Tussey custom reworked, but no logo, understandably.
    Anyhoo, I do have 2 other Tussey custom guns with the logo on them.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]European American Armory Tanfoglio Witness Hunter 10MM that I shot better than my Colt, STI, and S&W 1006. They ran just under the $1000 mark but today I have no idea. Don't shot them much as arthritis has made itself at home in my hands.[/FONT]

Top Bottom