• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    My opinion for what its worth. Just handling them constantly being behind the counter.....

Smith is my favorite. It feels much sturdier than the Glock. Better sights, doesn't feel as large. Haven't gotten to shoot it tho. Grip on the 2.0 is kinda aggressive but it can be tamed down if you want. Owned the 2.0 9mm, loved it.

Glock is number 2. Great parts / holster support and easy resale. I'm a glock guy but really didn't like shooting the G20 all that much. Only one experience tho. Didn't like how large it was in my medium hands. Didn't hit very well compared to my 19, 17, or 22. Might reconsider if I got to shoot a compensated model......

XD 10mm takes third. Owned the XDM9, loved it. I think are slightly better built than Glocks, not quite as good as M&P. For some reason I had no attachment to the 10mm model at all. Seemed fine but just didn't appeal to me as much as the Smith and Glock. Resale of these is harder if you end up not liking it.

You might try this neat tool to help get a better feel for comparing them. Its kinda fancy and can overlay pistols to see the differences.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have all three. I have a slight preference for the G20 because I’ve shot many tens of thousands of rounds out of them and I trust them with my nuclear rounds, but the other two have their merits and I like the stippling on the M&P. The stock sights on it though are NOT set up for carry.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I can see why some wouldn't like the stippling on the M&P, it is rough & aggressive. I will spend some range time with it to familiarize & prove it, the primary purpose is going to be a carry in bear country out West. The aggressive grip seems to be a big + in a duress situation.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I have to 20, 40, and xd10. And ronin.
    The 40 is equipped with venom red dot, very accurate with site and trigger job.

20 has over watch trigger it digests 40sw fine.

Xd10 has great factory trigger and very accurate. Feels much better in my hand and gets a+ rating for feel.

The ronin is very accurate and feels great. Gets a+ bc it's a 1911.

The xd and 1911 launch brass, makes brass scrounging a chore. Glocks make brass collection easy. I like them all and they all have their place in life. My favs are both Springfield pistols. S&W 610 rocks too.

Sdiersing

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 20, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I got into the M&P 10mm with the four inch barrel pretty early on. For what it’s worth, I had trouble with failures to feed. Specifically when shooting hotter underwood ammo and almost always the second to last round in the magazine. After swapping the recoil spring for a 22 pound and adding extra power magazine springs I’ve had really good luck.

Hatchet601

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2022
    Evansville
    Gun tube over fine all go back to Glock as king….new guns come out and are hot, sexy, “the Glock beater” etc….but after months and sometimes years Glock still reigns king it seems.

I have a 40 with a Delta Point and love it. Carry in a Kydex chest holster from Gunfighters Inc (absolutely the best). Looking for another gun and seriously considering a Gen 5 20 just because. I held the Sig, feels pretty good, M&P does too, but drawn back to the Glock as the “system” is compatible with my Aero TNW 10mm rifle too.

So Glock for me.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'm at a spot that I want a 10mm, but haven't found a platform that I'd like to shoot it out of yet.

S&W 3rd gens are cool as heck, but outrageously priced. They're also pretty heavy as a hiking companion.

The P220 is also cool as heck, but also heavy, and only available in expensive upmarket versions because Sig is at it heart a marketing company and insists on upselling it's customers with fluff.

The S&W 610 is cool, but revolvers are better with rimmed cases and if you're going to limit yourself to 5 or 6 rounds in a wheelgun, it might as well be .44 Mag.

1911s are SAO which doesn't meet my use case for the round (I love a 1911, though). Like the 3rd gens, they're also pretty heavy.

I don't object to the Glock platform (although I'm not enamored with the grip angle), and Glock has the form factor I want in the 29, but they have an unsupported chamber and polygonal rifling. As a reloader, I'm not going to buy a handgun that you can't feed cast bullets, or one that destroys brass.

The M&P 10 I shot had the worst trigger of any striker-fired gun I've ever handled. Mushy and it felt like somebody had dumped a bucket of sand in it. Outrageously gritty...I couldn't believe they allowed it to leave the factory like that. I've shot some Apex upgraded guns in the past as well, and still wasn't impressed.

I hate XDs, and I can't shoot them. There's nothing mechanically wrong with them, I just hate them. I hate the shape of the grip and the way the gun balances and recoils. I've not shot a 10mm, but I've shot 9mms and .40s and hated them all....I can't imagine that chambering it in 10mm would change that.

The P320 XTen is interesting, but I want a carry gun not a hunting gun, and I don't need the elevated pricing that Sig likes to push with their X-gun marketing hype. Give me a basic Nitron compact model in 10mm, please, like I can get with a Glock 29, but with a fully-supported chamber and normal rifling.

To date I'm still waiting on the right one to come along. If Glock were to release a Gen 5 model 29 with standard rifling and a supported chamber, that would be an option. Or a "compact" or "carry" sized P320. If I really had my wish, somebody would make a small DA/SA in 10mm, but I imagine that's probably hoping for too much.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm at a spot that I want a 10mm, but haven't found a platform that I'd like to shoot it out of yet.

S&W 3rd gens are cool as heck, but outrageously priced. They're also pretty heavy as a hiking companion.

The P220 is also cool as heck, but also heavy, and only available in expensive upmarket versions because Sig is at it heart a marketing company and insists on upselling it's customers with fluff.

The S&W 610 is cool, but revolvers are better with rimmed cases and if you're going to limit yourself to 5 or 6 rounds in a wheelgun, it might as well be .44 Mag.

1911s are SAO which doesn't meet my use case for the round (I love a 1911, though). Like the 3rd gens, they're also pretty heavy.

I don't object to the Glock platform (although I'm not enamored with the grip angle), and Glock has the form factor I want in the 29, but they have an unsupported chamber and polygonal rifling. As a reloader, I'm not going to buy a handgun that you can't feed cast bullets, or one that destroys brass.

The M&P 10 I shot had the worst trigger of any striker-fired gun I've ever handled. Mushy and it felt like somebody had dumped a bucket of sand in it. Outrageously gritty...I couldn't believe they allowed it to leave the factory like that. I've shot some Apex upgraded guns in the past as well, and still wasn't impressed.

I hate XDs, and I can't shoot them. There's nothing mechanically wrong with them, I just hate them. I hate the shape of the grip and the way the gun balances and recoils. I've not shot a 10mm, but I've shot 9mms and .40s and hated them all....I can't imagine that chambering it in 10mm would change that.

The P320 XTen is interesting, but I want a carry gun not a hunting gun, and I don't need the elevated pricing that Sig likes to push with their X-gun marketing hype. Give me a basic Nitron compact model in 10mm, please, like I can get with a Glock 29, but with a fully-supported chamber and normal rifling.

To date I'm still waiting on the right one to come along. If Glock were to release a Gen 5 model 29 with standard rifling and a supported chamber, that would be an option. Or a "compact" or "carry" sized P320. If I really had my wish, somebody would make a small DA/SA in 10mm, but I imagine that's probably hoping for too much.
    Rumor has it that Taurus might be coming out with their version of 10mm.

You forgot Hi Point 10mm....

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    You forgot Hi Point 10mm....
    Didn't forget, but I was taught if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Taurus in the past. I'd completely sworn them off, but I've heard that lately they've been getting their stuff together. Eventually I may be convinced to give them another try, but I don't think a potent beast like the 10mm is going to be how I go about that.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The only 10mm that I truly like is my Delta Elite. The M&P is nice, but it does not make it to the range that often. I really need to run it a bunch more and decide whether or not it’s going to stay in the collection.

I’d love to add a 10mm P220 to the collection, but just not at the prices that they demand. If I find one of the camo P220s for a decent price, I might pick it up and. bead blast it back to bare stainless but I don’t want one enough to drop more than about $1200 on it.

I held the X-Ten P320 and didn’t like the feel of it. I’ve been contemplating just letting the M&P 10 go and simply enjoying the DE as my one and only 10mm.

cigarman454

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    East Central, IN
    I have owned all 3 and currently have both the 4 and 4.6 Smith and Wesson pistols. I like the Smith the best the grip is way more comfortable and the trigger is nice for a striker fire.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bought an M&P 10mm 4.6" last March.
    I REALLY like the ergonomics of it, and sold my Glock 20 10mm.

The M&P also has full chamber support.

It's been flawless except with Double Tap 200 Grain Hard Casts that I've had for some years.

They have a really wide flat nose and jam.
    Then they drop the magazine.

Everything else I've tried, including Underwood shoots fine through it.
    bpgojpr[bohjrr.jpg

IMG_20220222_114720.jpg Doubletap200HardCast.jpg

Last edited:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Everything about the M&P is great except for that trigger. 1000 dryfires will smooth it out but I agree, they could have easily produced a better trigger just by polishing the plunger and bar. The initial impression when you fire it is 'yuck'.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I bought an M&P 10mm 4.6" last March.
    I REALLY like the ergonomics of it, and sold my Glock 20 10mm.

The M&P also has full chamber support.

It's been flawless except with Double Tap 200 Grain Hard Casts that I've had for some years.

They have a really wide flat nose and jam.
    Then they drop the magazine.

Everything else I've tried, including Underwood shoots fine through it.
    View attachment 263069

View attachment 263068 View attachment 263066
    How did the plunk test go with the 200gr WFNGC from double tap?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I've had no issues with the g20. I tried carrying it for a couple of weeks. Practice at the range is expensive. The 40 is easier to manage recoil, and I kept asking myself why not carry the better option. But in Tennessee, yes, for bears.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    How did the plunk test go with the 200gr WFNGC from double tap?
    Yes I did some months back when the same question was asked of me on another forum.
    Round dropped in and dropped back out, and it passed fine.

This pistol has worked flawlessly with every ammo I tried in it, Underwood 155 grain JHP, Underwood 180 grain JHP, and S&B 180 grain JHP.

ONLY the wide tipped Double Tap 200 grain hard cast has failed to operate properly.

Top Bottom