• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    I have been wanting a 10 mm but have been struggling with which style to choose. Weight is a factor because I will be hiking camping hunting. Not really wanting a 10 mm CC just great outdoors style of handgun. I have my issues with 1911 and glocks but I am not sold on a 1006 or revolver ttype either. Just wanting some opinions on why you bought your 10mm. I am not trying to start a debate or bash any certain firearm or insult any fanboys. I strictly want 10mm owners to give their opinions, because I like to leave no stone unturned in my never ending search for firearms. I will have to shoot before I purchase but trying to narrow down the field. Thanks in advance.

P.S
    If you take offense to anything I have said plse PM me your insults as to not pollute the thread.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have 2 1911's in 10mm well actualy down to one now but I really like the 10 in commander size 1911.
    As far as why. I just like the commander size 1911, it seems to be the perfect balance pistol for me. I have them in several calibers :)

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    10mm platforms

I have a Glock Model 20 and a Delta elite. Both have been reliable and I have a lot of confidence in the 10mm round. The Model 20 is more lightweight. The Delta not so much. The Colt is gorgeous and the Glock is UGLY.
    The Colt is a carry gun for Cool weather when concealing is easier and the Glock is my Car Gun. I chose the Glock because it is the maximum amount of firepower I can put between the seats and I would anticipate the least amount of deflection if shot through a windshield or even a car door.

Glock model 20 :yesway: just my :twocents:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    The 10MM has been water down, It used to be a 200gr. bullet with 1200 FPS & now when you find a 200gr. it has 1050 FPS. You need to reload to get the full power of the 10MM. My 10MM is a GLOCK 20, but if I ever buy another 10MM it'll be a WITNESS cause it's a copy of the CZ & you don't need to break the bank

mwg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    east side indy
    i had a glock 29 and loved it. it was acurate & 100% reliable.I sold it because of the cost of ammo. It is also hard to find without driving across town.

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    what is the mag capacity of the glock v the 1911 style? Would you have any trouble or concerns shooting "hot" loads in a poly frame like the glock? I seem to recall pics of a glock blown apart not sure if it was a 10mm or not, not real sure if it was true pic or not for that matter.

Last edited:

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    The 10MM has been water down, It used to be a 200gr. bullet with 1200 FPS & now when you find a 200gr. it has 1050 FPS. You need to reload to get the full power of the 10MM. My 10MM is a GLOCK 20, but if I ever buy another 10MM it'll be a WITNESS cause it's a copy of the CZ & you don't need to break the bank
    I do reload my own ammo and plan on doing so thanx for the info on the watered dwn ammo I will check out that Witness.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Back in the days of Miami Vice i bought a bren ten. The darn thing would not feed and I ordered the replacement mags from 2 different dealers and they never came. I sold her off to fund a purchase and now wish i had not. One of the few i regret doing a trade on.

I wish they had tested the mags when the imported them. I would still have a 10 mm.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I will say this, I love the M&P platform and almost shoot it exclusively, however, I am saving up for a Glock 20 :D

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have an EAA Witness as does my son, both are of course in 10mm. The Witness is super sturdy, but I have found that the magazines did not feed reliably. I sent the mags back and they replaced the follower. I have not tested the magazines enough to want to carry it yet. Besides, I have several other guns to choose from.

I shoot my reloads exclusively and fire a 180 gr. hard cast most of the time. I love the 10 mm round because of its power, but retrieving fired brass is quite a challenge because the typical case lands at least 25 feet away.

I have considered the Glock 20, but have bought one yet - they are just plain ugly. I many never get one.

You will not be disappointed in the power of the round if you reload, a lot can be done with this cartridge.

Terry

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The Witnesses are notorious for being under sprung for full power 10mm. I'm told they use the same recoil spring in the 10 as the 9mm. 14lb.

If the brass is launching 25ft away, that's indicative of the slide speed being way too high and probably battering the frame. It'd be a good idea to spring that thing a bit stiffer.
    Springs for EAA Semi-Auto Pistols

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    I have an EAA Witness as does my son, both are of course in 10mm. The Witness is super sturdy, but I have found that the magazines did not feed reliably. I sent the mags back and they replaced the follower. I have not tested the magazines enough to want to carry it yet. Besides, I have several other guns to choose from.

I shoot my reloads exclusively and fire a 180 gr. hard cast most of the time. I love the 10 mm round because of its power, but retrieving fired brass is quite a challenge because the typical case lands at least 25 feet away.

I have considered the Glock 20, but have bought one yet - they are just plain ugly. I many never get one.

You will not be disappointed in the power of the round if you reload, a lot can be done with this cartridge.

Terry
    thx Terry. Lookin @ the ball. of this round is what has peaked my interest so. I do agree whole hearted about the glock but be careful saying that on this forum. people get quite upset when you say glocks are ugly.(lol) +1 headed your way

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    I bought a Wilson Combat 1911 in 10mm,more than I normally would spend on a single gun but the quality has been worth it and the flanged barrel delays unlocking enough that I can run hot loads in it without to much worry about damaging it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    EAA is supposed to be importing the SAR K2 in 10mm. If they ever do, I'll jump on the first one I see. I have an Armalite built by the same folks that make the SAR K2s and the quality is top notch. Like the EAA Witness pistols, it's a CZ pattern gun, but differs in a lot of ways. I do like that it is supposed to be a 17+1 gun.

Then again, until it really is imported, they can say anything they want about it as it's just vapor.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I didn't really get interested in the 10mm until I found out it was more powerful than a 357mag with full loads. What made me buy one was when I held a new full size glock with the "SF" small frame. I picked it up and it pointed the way flocks should have when they were first made. I bought a G20SF and I couldn't be happier. The 10mm is for the reloading crowd though. If you don't reload this would be a great excuse to start. I load up 200gr hornady hollow points exclusively and have a nice stockpile of them.

The thing about a 10mm is that it really can do anyhing you'd need to do with a handgun. Mine G20SF with full loads recoils softer then my 4" xd 45. I also put two of the pierce grip extensions on two of my mags so I have two 17rd mags, plus I could put one in the pipe. That's a ton of firepower and would serve anyone well when hiking, hunting, defending the home or for carry.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Keep in mind that you can get a 3.5# trigger on a glock for next to nothing. I had that and an extended mag release put in for like $35 or $40 by a glock armorer.

Top Bottom