• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I love my Spark II. I had an 80 some dollar one that even when turned off it drained the battery after the second time I took it off and gave it to my SIL.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    My next reddot will be an Aimpoint PRO.
    If I go reflex, Burris FF (or higher up).

If you get a PRO, take the two screws that hold the three piece mount together, locktite them, and put them back before you mount it. I like those optics, but every single one we have at work has had those two screws come loose. Beyond that, they've been trouble free. Any new ones we issue out get that treatment from the get go now.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My nephew mounted this
    https://leapers.com/index.php?act=prod_detail&itemno=SCP-DS3840TDQ
    On his AR15 7.62x39. He has over 500 rounds so far on it. Seems to be holding up great. I shot with it and was surprised my astigmatism wasn't affected by it. Clear and accurate for $50.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
    I was hoping & glad to get feedback from those that had used some of the "cheapos" under $100 red dots.
    Good to hear that 500 rounds later: still working; hopefully, at 5000 rounds the same.
    I had a UTG scope on a 22 rifle that was fine for my use even though it was under $100 new, I'm sure.

I took a chance & ordered a red dot, but since I can't check it out on the range, I'm going to wait before I "confess" which one I bought.
    In fact, I got it this am from Amazon; it's sitting in the garage waiting for me to "de-virus" it. :dunno:
    If it's junk, I'll admit it so everyone can laugh at me, then I'll order the Bushnell TRS-25, or perhaps the UTG if it is still working well for you. :)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Thanks! :thumbsup:
    I was hoping & glad to get feedback from those that had used some of the "cheapos" under $100 red dots.
    Good to hear that 500 rounds later: still working; hopefully, at 5000 rounds the same.
    I had a UTG scope on a 22 rifle that was fine for my use even though it was under $100 new, I'm sure. He told me they have a lifetime warranty also.

I took a chance & ordered a red dot, but since I can't check it out on the range, I'm going to wait before I "confess" which one I bought.
    In fact, I got it this am from Amazon; it's sitting in the garage waiting for me to "de-virus" it. :dunno:
    If it's junk, I'll admit it so everyone can laugh at me, then I'll order the Bushnell TRS-25, or perhaps the UTG if it is still working well for you. :)

I just shot it the a few days ago. I really liked the illuminated T dot sight on it. We shot in full sun it did well, and we checked it at night and surprisingly it dims enough to be used at night.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I want to clarify a little more; further the discussion, if you will.

I have no problem at all with inexpensive stuff going onto range toys. Some inexpensive RDS will hold up for thousands of rounds; especially on light-recoiling guns.

Some inexpensive RDS will hold up on heavier recoiling guns.

But I'd certainly not ever trust my life to one.

The Bushnell TR-25 (that it?) is almost the gold standard for inexpensive RDS. I'd not trust my life to it.

If you want an optic for a potentially life-saving piece of equipment, then stick to brand that is known to handle the abuse.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would not trust my life to ANY electronic sight alone.

Even the very top end sights, there is a domino chain of things that could go wrong for various reasons, not to mention a battery that can itself fail for whatever reason. BUIS are mandatory for my SD guns.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I want to clarify a little more; further the discussion, if you will.
    I have no problem at all with inexpensive stuff going onto range toys. Some inexpensive RDS will hold up for thousands of rounds; especially on light-recoiling guns.
    Some inexpensive RDS will hold up on heavier recoiling guns.
    But I'd certainly not ever trust my life to one.
    The Bushnell TR-25 (that it?) is almost the gold standard for inexpensive RDS. I'd not trust my life to it.
    If you want an optic for a potentially life-saving piece of equipment, then stick to brand that is known to handle the abuse.

Your point about an inexpensive red dot if it is a range toy: is exactly what I had in mind. :thumbsup:
    I have 3 inexpensive .22LR pistols I can experiment with.
    I didn't want to pay for 100% dependability, that would be better than how the guns shoot, being .22LR. :lmfao:
    Glad to hear the I did OK with the Bushnell TRS-25.

I was drawn to the "Toyota Corolla" version :):
    ($49) DAGGER DEFENSE DDHB RED DOT REFLEX SIGHT
    Best Budget Option

MATERIAL: Aircraft grade aluminum
    TYPE: Reflex
    RETICLE: Red and green, 1-4 MOA
    WEIGHT: 10.26 oz

It has heft to it, and the dials on it are firm, not loosey-goosey.
    Both Red & Green with 4 different reticles in each color with adjustments for brighter/larger dot.
    I also liked that it was a Veteran owned business.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    For a long time I couldn't make myself buy a cheap red dot, even for a .22.

IMG_1461-M.jpg

I've since purchased one Primary Arms red dot for my son's Savage Rascal. I may even get a RMR knock off and put the Aimpoint Micro I have on my Ruger on something else.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I was asked to do a review of this rds by the company Tacticon Armament. I found it to be well made and a great inexpensive sight. I was offered the sight for 75% off to do my testing. That was around a year ago. They fixed the issues and brought out a much better version of it. It is similar to a TRS25.

This company is owned by a Combat veteran. They have excellent customer service.

https://tacticon.com/product/predator-v3-micro-red-dot-sight/

On Amazon as well.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q3NXS6W/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_Bb0HEbK7ZHKDK

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Your point about an inexpensive red dot if it is a range toy: is exactly what I had in mind. :thumbsup:
    I have 3 inexpensive .22LR pistols I can experiment with.
    I didn't want to pay for 100% dependability, that would be better than how the guns shoot, being .22LR. :lmfao:
    Glad to hear the I did OK with the Bushnell TRS-25.

I was drawn to the "Toyota Corolla" version :):
    ($49) DAGGER DEFENSE DDHB RED DOT REFLEX SIGHT
    Best Budget Option

MATERIAL: Aircraft grade aluminum
    TYPE: Reflex
    RETICLE: Red and green, 1-4 MOA
    WEIGHT: 10.26 oz

It has heft to it, and the dials on it are firm, not loosey-goosey.
    Both Red & Green with 4 different reticles in each color with adjustments for brighter/larger dot.
    I also liked that it was a Veteran owned business.

Finally was able to make it to the range to dial in the Dagger defense red dot.
    Here are pics at 30', which accuracy got better as I was dialing it in.
    45' didn't do as well and perhaps that is the gun or me & my eyes, or perhaps I don't have it dialed in sharp enough yet.

0rSYyeW.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Using the Dagger Defense red dot again on the Ruger Mark 3.
    Used 3 different brands of ammo.
    Shot 15', 20' 30' & 45'.
    I couldn't even see the #10 red target on the head of the torso, so I ended up shooting high.
    I was just hoping it was beneath my red dot. :dunno:

vwiYUbj.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Found another site that listed 4 of the best UNDER $100 red dots.
    Probably some overlap from the 1st article that got blasted, but at least this one says "best under $100."

https://www.firearmreview.com/best-red-dot-optics-for-under-100/

https://www.firearmreview.com/best-red-dot-optics-for-under-100/

Dagger Defense DDHB Red Dot Reflex Sight
    around $40

Reticle: 1 MOA
    Aperture: 33mm
    Length: 82mm
    Weight: 291g
    Field of View: 15.8m @ 100m
    Rail Type: Picatinny
    In the Box: Sight, CR2032 Battery, 2 Allen Wrenches, Cleaning Cloth, Instruction Manual

AT3 RD-50 Micro Red Dot Reflex Sight
    about $75
    Reticle: 2 MOA Dot
    Aperture: 22 mm
    Length: 61.8 mm
    Weight: 3.6 oz
    Field of View: Unlimited
    Rail Type: Picatinny or Weaver
    In the Box: Red Dot Sight, Rubber Bikini Cover, Instruction Sheet, Lens Cloth, Allen Wrench

Primary Arms Microdot MD-RBGII Sight
    around $90
    Reticle: 2 MOA Dot
    Length: 66.5 mm
    Weight: 4.1.oz
    Rail Type: Picatinny (But rail mount is removable)
    In the Box: Sight, Bikini Lens Cover, Removable Picatinny Rail Mount, CR2032 Battery

Bushnell TRS-25 Trophy Red Dot Sight
    about $50
    Reticle: 3 MOA Dot
    Length: 2.4 in. (6.8mm)
    Weight: 3.7 oz. (106g)
    Field of View: Unlimited
    Rail Type: Picatinny or Weaver
    In the Box: Sight, CR2032 battery

Last edited:

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    That "article" is absolutely a scam. The "author" picks a variety of red dots from Amazon that have good reviews (many probably from free product evaluations, airsofters etc.) And then just makes a list of refferal links. Each time some chump reads the article clicks a link and buys a sight, he gets a few cents. He mostly picks cheap ones, so the average reader thinks "wow only $30 and it has a 5 star review!"

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That "article" is absolutely a scam.
    The "author" picks a variety of red dots from Amazon that have good reviews (many probably from free product evaluations, airsofters etc.) And then just makes a list of refferal links. Each time some chump reads the article clicks a link and buys a sight, he gets a few cents.
    He mostly picks cheap ones, so the average reader thinks "wow only $30 and it has a 5 star review!"

The Bushnell TRS-25 is a known good economical red dot.
    It was the first new red dot I bought and used for over a year now on three different guns.

The Primary Arms red dot is one a friend has used for months now w/o complaint.
    My first red dot was a Primary Arms that came with a SW Victory I bought.
    The member I bought it from used it for Steel Matches.
    It's on its 3rd owner now.

I recently bought and have been using the Dagger Defense red dot and like it more than my Bushnell TRS-25 b/c it has green as well as a red choice of a dot, plus it has 4 choices of reticles to use which both "upgrades" are fun to use.

You could be absolutely correct in your observation.
    Time will tell if these hold up or fold up as the months/years go by.
    Perhaps my experience has just been lucky.
    I'm shooting only .22LR with my red dots, so they don't get much punishment, or that much use in general anyway b/c of many other guns I shoot with scopes or just using iron sights.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    How about we lay off the chinese stuff?

When it comes to red dots, Aimpoint and Trijicon should be the first choices. If that's too expensive for you, then iron sights are a great alternative as you save up.

Top Bottom