• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    How about we lay off the chinese stuff?
    When it comes to red dots, Aimpoint and Trijicon should be the first choices. If that's too expensive for you, then iron sights are a great alternative as you save up.

I have no idea where red dots are made but did try to look some up.
    I checked and did read where most lower-priced red dot sights today are made by a couple of manufacturer groups in China.
    I had a hard time finding disclosure of the country of origin of many red dots, therefore assume that they are trying to hide that info from easy access, wanting to hide where they are manufacured.

Consumer models sold by Bushnell, are made in the U.S.A.

Vortex doesn't manufacture any of their scopes states side.
    They produce in China, Taiwan, Philippines, and their top line comes from Japan.

The vast majority of Trijicon products are designed, engineered, machined and assembled at our facilities in Wixom, Michigan, and California and are therefore 100% Made in the USA.

Sig Romeo 5 is manufactured from a Chinese Holosun factory with a Sig Sauer logo labeled on it.

All L-3 EOTech holographic weapon sights, as well as the consumer models sold by Bushnell, are made in the U.S.A.

Aimpoint AB is a Swedish optics company manufacturing red dot sights.

GMediC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    US
    For cost versus function the PA red dots are hard to beat. Ive owned two, traded a gen 1 off and as far as I know it still works, I currently run the advanced on an SBR.

They advertise a 50k hour battery life, the first battery I ran only lasted 10k hours (a lottle over a year at medium setting). I tried to run a second battery of a different brand but ive lost track of how long it's been in. I do know it has been at least 2 years, so roughly 16k hours. I tend to change batteries yearly so not an issue.

It's held zero and battery life is more than adequate.

I like to waste money on things so I bought a PA 1-4 illuminated scope. Its not nearly as nice and I probably would not buy again, the red dot has a lot of splash on that one and the crosshairs reflect both illumination and sunlight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Not everyone is going into combat. Some just need them for a range toy, some for on a home defense or edc firearm. None of the above requires military tested and approved optics. This is where the inexpensive optics come in to play.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Not everyone is going into combat. Some just need them for a range toy, some for on a home defense or edc firearm. None of the above requires military tested and approved optics. This is where the inexpensive optics come in to play.

The problem is that they're chinese made, and we're effectively at war with china. You should not be supporting that country with your wallet.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm picking up a gun tomorrow that comes with a Vortex Viper 6moa red dot from the manufacturer.
    It will be a step up from my $50 - $100 red dots.
    I still plan to pick up a used red dot for another gun, looking at a Primary Arms or another Bushnell TRS-25, or perhaps buy another Dagger Defense for $50 since I like it so much, & it has 2 colors & 4 different reticles than the Bushnell or PA.
    I like the idea of getting a different sampling of the different budget red dots out there to see how they hold up for me.
    I don't have a gun with a rail on it in for anything but .22LR (none of my 9mms have a rail: bummer!), so they get treated gently.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If Chinese is tolerable, and you want a mini RDS..........Sig Romeo 5.
    If you like a bigger one, and Chinese tolerable.........Primary Arms 30mm.

Of course one could flip the big middle finger at commieland and go Aimpoint.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Just wanted to input, I bought a glock with a burris ff3 on it used from this website.
    it failed randomly on a particularly cold night, im not sure why but the temperature is the only thing that seemed plausible for reason of failure.
    I sent it back to burris ( my second hand optic ) and they shipped a brand new one back full of accessories.
    No questions asked. fast turn around.

They now get my business.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If Chinese is tolerable, and you want a mini RDS..........Sig Romeo 5.
    If you like a bigger one, and Chinese tolerable.........Primary Arms 30mm.
    Of course one could flip the big middle finger at commieland and go Aimpoint.

I put something back on the shelf a month ago b/c I saw it was made in China.
    I've always been willing to pay more to support local.
    For example, I went to a old local shop called Wanamaker Feed & Seed to get some potting soil and other stuff today for planting flowers for the wife.
    :laugh:
    About Aimpoint, they don't have any budget red dots. :nono:

Just wanted to input, I bought a glock with a burris ff3 on it used from this website.
    it failed randomly on a particularly cold night, im not sure why but the temperature is the only thing that seemed plausible for reason of failure.
    I sent it back to burris ( my second hand optic ) and they shipped a brand new one back full of accessories.
    No questions asked. fast turn around.
    They now get my business.

Impressive customer service. :thumbsup:
    They are "kinder" than the Aimpoint: I saw them for $229.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I saw a great price on a Bushnell Advance Micro Reflex sight for $145, but sadly it is made in China... I need to research and find which ones are made in the USA (or at very least, not made in China) and pick out something for my lightweight AR carbine. I have a Sparc II I purchased from Laughing Snake on it now, works great but would prefer something smaller and lighter and move the Sparc to my 9mm carbine. Thing is, when I do that, it will not be something made in China... which is hard to do on any kind of a budget dammit! :)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I try to avoid Chinese products if possible, especially now. In full disclosure I do have a Holosun 510 and Vortex Sparc AR. I have been happy with both and have had no problems. The Vortex screws are cheap but a quick call and replacements were on the way.

Made in the Philippines instead of China = Burris. I currently have a Burris Fast Fire 3 on a handgun and a shotgun. So far both have held up well. I am impressed with Burris products and consider them to be a best value.

Top Bottom