• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    ive done some hevy shooting with my 500s i have one that's 40 years old and goes like a top, there far from junk, as for the ones from walmart i dont know i dont buy guns from there they might be different, mine see some heavy use my 12 i sent 100 rounds a week though it.

Walmart guns are the same as what you would get at Snuffy's guns contrary to gun shop lore and internet rumor. As far as your 40 year old Mossberg, Everything made back in the day probably does work better than some of their newer versions. There are more composites in about everything these days (look at a new ruger 10/22 trigger housing compared to one from the 1970's)

However I have been teaching firearms since the late 1980's on the military and now the civilian LE side and every Mossberg manufactured since then that I have seen (both department and privately owned by folks) have not held a candle to the 870's in durability when you factor in case's upon case's of slug, 00, and #4 buck usage.

So as to the Ops question, based on my experience I would recommend the Remington 870. With the only detractor mentioned across the board is the safety which the safety on the 870 is not that hard to learn.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Walmart guns are the same as what you would get at Snuffy's guns contrary to gun shop lore and internet rumor. As far as your 40 year old Mossberg, Everything made back in the day probably does work better than some of their newer versions. There are more composites in about everything these days (look at a new ruger 10/22 trigger housing compared to one from the 1970's)

However I have been teaching firearms since the late 1980's on the military and now the civilian LE side and every Mossberg manufactured since then that I have seen (both department and privately owned by folks) have not held a candle to the 870's in durability when you factor in case's upon case's of slug, 00, and #4 buck usage.

So as to the Ops question, based on my experience I would recommend the Remington 870. With the only detractor mentioned across the board is the safety which the safety on the 870 is not that hard to learn.
    case upon case? i doubt the op can afford that cause most of us can't, now while a steel receiver is suppose to be stronger, aluminum is plenty strong enough for most people. i like to ask you what breaks on the mossbergs? now for realistic expectations most shotguns see birdshot and maybe slugs or buckshot every now and then, any factory gun will be just fine win 1300,m37, etc etc.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    I like my Mossberg 500 TR. So far, fully outfiitted, it was still less costly than the new magpul edition 870 I also considered and I am just as satisfied. I do not like pistol grips on shotguns so the top mounted safety was a non-issue. I have had zero problems with my 500. I bought it purely for HD uses. If was to want a shotgun for equal parts HD and hunting I would look for a nice, clean Ithaca M37 DSPS. Infact, if one was at my LGS I would have taken it over the M500 because to me they are a sweet and effective piece of history.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    case upon case? i doubt the op can afford that cause most of us can't, now while a steel receiver is suppose to be stronger, aluminum is plenty strong enough for most people. i like to ask you what breaks on the mossbergs? now for realistic expectations most shotguns see birdshot and maybe slugs or buckshot every now and then, any factory gun will be just fine win 1300,m37, etc etc.

On our Mossbergs we had catastrophic failures of the polymer/plastic trigger housing group with the action bar release, those aluminum receivers cracking and both extractors and ejectors failing and the plastic safety button becoming cracked where the screw comes through it. All under low round count. We were able to do our instructor familiarization training and then qualify the masses one time and then because of those issues we never issued them. Thus we went back to the 870's. At the time we were allowed either 870's or the Mossbergs but because of across the board Mossberg issues I believe Remington and or Bennelli are the only ones approved now (I retired on the military side in 07).

My personal Mossberg had the same failure on the trigger housing group with the action bar release. Being polymer once they are cracked/stretched you can not get the pins to stay in and a replacement group is anywhere from 70.00 to 120.00 from Brownells or other sources and that's if you get a dealer or LE discount.

My current agency has several old and new 870's. They work and work and work!

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    ^^THIS^^

The 870 will last and last and last. Has a ton of aftermarket parts, barrels and accessories. There is a reason more LE Agencies use 870's more than Mossberg. They last and are built a heck of a lot better.

The older 870's were built a lot better than what I have seen coming out lately. I was not impressed with the Express I last handled. I hope the Wingmaster is a bit more solid.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Funny how this turned into a Rem vs. Mossberg debate about HD, Police/military training... and hunting....when the OP wanted a shotgun for HD and SKEET shooting!:)

The reality is he will hopefully shoot Skeet as often as he can afford it since it is a lot of fun and hopefully he will never have to discharge the gun in his home which would be no fun.

I would love to see a guy on the Skeet range with a pistol grip, 18.5" barreled cylinder bore shotgun!

However, I concede if he was using the term "Skeet" in a generic way and he meant going out back and shooting some clay pigeons off of a hand thrower.:) I did notice he did not capitalize "Skeet".

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The older 870's were built a lot better than what I have seen coming out lately. I was not impressed with the Express I last handled. I hope the Wingmaster is a bit more solid.

I wouldn't compare the Express to the other 870's. The Express is a entry line model. The Wingmaster is the upper class of the 870 line. While all 870's are pretty good there are slight variations within the line.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    To me that is asking for one gun to perform two different functions. Sure, a shotgun can handle both duties. But what will be the percentage of time spent shooting clay birds vs. home intruders?:)

Pick the style shotgun that works best for the one with the highest percentage use. It will most likely work fine for the other less used purpose.

This is the answer. The Remington 870 is a good choice, as you can get them, usually as a package, with the 2 barrels you would want. For your purpose, the 870 Express would be a great choice.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    My opinion, I would look at the Remington 870. There are more barrel choices and accessories to choose from with the 870. Not knocking the Mossberg, they make a fine shotgun and in some cases have features that some like over the Remington. As far as which 870, choose one, they're essentially all the same. The express model has less labor involved in the manufacturing process, (coated rather than blued and polished) so Remington is able to price it for less. As for the polymer parts in the new 870's, it hasn't been that many years ago that someone brought out a polymer handgun, and if I remember correctly, all of the buzz in the gun world was that it would never last, or "who would want to buy a plastic gun?". Bottom line is, buy what your budget will allow, and try to become as proficient with that as you can.

Steeler58Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Allen County
    Look into the NEF Pardner Pump models. They are an 870 clone made in China. I can only speak for the Protector model. I paid less than $200 for mine several years back and have beat the hell out it. Still going strong...

weenpeen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    @Steeler58Fan,

I had never heard of the Pardner Pump, but I've been looking into it and it sounds perfect for me. The price tag is obviously great, but I had been leaning toward the 870 and since this is a clone that works for me. I've read mixed reviews, but overall the consensus is that for the money it's a great shotgun.

Thanks everyone for the replies! You've helped a ton!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    unless you get the security model - no barrels for that other than the 18 it comes with.

The 18" barreled Maverick 88 has the short (5+1) mag tube and will accept any Mossberg 500 barrel. The 20" Maverick has the long (7+1) mag tube and your barrel selection is much more limited, just as it is with the 500 in the same configuration.

FWIW.

rambo4me

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    I agree 100% about the 870 for home defense. Great gun, rugged, dependable, lots of add-ons. But you also mentioned shooting skeet. Are you sure its skeet and not trap. If its trap I'ld still opt for the 870, if it is skeet then I would try for a semi-auto like maybe a benelli m2 or better yet try that new Mossberg, the JM pro. I thinks its a 950(?) but don't quote me. You'll need the added speed for the second shot on skeet, as well as high capacity for followups on bad guys.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    On our Mossbergs we had catastrophic failures of the polymer/plastic trigger housing group with the action bar release, those aluminum receivers cracking and both extractors and ejectors failing and the plastic safety button becoming cracked where the screw comes through it. All under low round count. We were able to do our instructor familiarization training and then qualify the masses one time and then because of those issues we never issued them. Thus we went back to the 870's. At the time we were allowed either 870's or the Mossbergs but because of across the board Mossberg issues I believe Remington and or Bennelli are the only ones approved now (I retired on the military side in 07).

My personal Mossberg had the same failure on the trigger housing group with the action bar release. Being polymer once they are cracked/stretched you can not get the pins to stay in and a replacement group is anywhere from 70.00 to 120.00 from Brownells or other sources and that's if you get a dealer or LE discount.

My current agency has several old and new 870's. They work and work and work!

Do you have any experience with the 590 A1 as they have a metal trigger group and safety?
    I just ordered a 590 A1 and I should have it next week.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Do you have any experience with the 590 A1 as they have a metal trigger group and safety?
    I just ordered a 590 A1 and I should have it next week.

Personally I have shot a 590 and it was OK but didn't really make me want to run out and get one. As far as on the job, the 500's were several years ago I believe right before the 590 was introduced and I have no reason to believe they will try to go away from the Remington or Benelli at this point.

Top Bottom