• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • weenpeen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey all! I'm looking to buy a 12 gauge for home defense and skeet shooting. Anybody have any ideas of what I should look for. I'm still in college and newly married, so funds are a bit tight. Looking for the best performance and quality for the lowest price. Any suggestions? Thanks!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    To me that is asking for one gun to perform two different functions. Sure, a shotgun can handle both duties. But what will be the percentage of time spent shooting clay birds vs. home intruders?:)

Pick the style shotgun that works best for the one with the highest percentage use. It will most likely work fine for the other less used purpose.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Remington 870.

^^THIS^^

The 870 will last and last and last. Has a ton of aftermarket parts, barrels and accessories. There is a reason more LE Agencies use 870's more than Mossberg. They last and are built a heck of a lot better.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    ^^THIS^^

The 870 will last and last and last. Has a ton of aftermarket parts, barrels and accessories. There is a reason more LE Agencies use 870's more than Mossberg. They last and are built a heck of a lot better.
    well i have to disgree with you on the rem vs moss thing but both guns will out last us as long as there taken care of. i personally dislike the 870 but i wouldn't fell under gunned cause i had one or the other.

indygamerguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Muncie
    I saw a vote for the Maverick 88, and I can vouch for its' reliability: I have one. Never had a jam or a misfire in any of the shells I've put through it. 2.75" birdshot loads and 1oz deer slugs.

Mine came as a 24" barrel config. but I thought it was entirely too long for my purpose of in home defense, so I took a hacksaw to it to make it an 18.75" barrel length. (Actually chopped it down to about 18.80 and then filed the rest down to a more specific 18.75~18.76). I got mine used for $190, Bradis in Camby currently has them for $249 according to their email advertisements.

Good luck!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've had Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s both (and still have both). I prefer the 500, but the differences are minor. I like the thumb safety being up top, easier to see, easier to verify, and easier to use off handed if you need to.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    well i have to disgree with you on the rem vs moss thing but both guns will out last us as long as there taken care of. i personally dislike the 870 but i wouldn't fell under gunned cause i had one or the other.

While we all have our own likes, I am basing mine on the qualification of 1,000 staff members every year and the fact that the only time I have seen a problem with an 870 it was shooter induced. The Military unit I was in had Mossbergs for a hot minute (and quickly went back to 870's) and we didn't shoot the in Mossberg's in the military at all compared to what I do now with the 870's. From all of that the mossbergs in general across the board were junk. I also had a privately owned Mossberg and you can keep them.

If you are going to only shoot it a couple times a year and very lightly hunt with it a 200.00 Walmart Mossberg is probably ok for you. If you are going to do any moderate or heavy amount of shooting get the 870.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    I've had Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s both (and still have both). I prefer the 500, but the differences are minor. I like the thumb safety being up top, easier to see, easier to verify, and easier to use off handed if you need to.
    thats my favorite thing about them the safety on top im left handed i like them a lot more.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    While we all have our own likes, I am basing mine on the qualification of 1,000 staff members every year and the fact that the only time I have seen a problem with an 870 it was shooter induced. The Military unit I was in had Mossbergs for a hot minute (and quickly went back to 870's) and we didn't shoot the in Mossberg's in the military at all compared to what I do now with the 870's. From all of that the mossbergs in general across the board were junk. I also had a privately owned Mossberg and you can keep them.

If you are going to only shoot it a couple times a year and very lightly hunt with it a 200.00 Walmart Mossberg is probably ok for you. If you are going to do any moderate or heavy amount of shooting get the 870.
    ive done some hevy shooting with my 500s i have one that's 40 years old and goes like a top, there far from junk, as for the ones from walmart i dont know i dont buy guns from there they might be different, mine see some heavy use my 12 i sent 100 rounds a week though it.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    im not a fan of remingtons (anythign made by them, honestly) so i woudl recommend a mossberg 500 or 535. get yourself an 18" cylinder bore barrel, and a 26" choked barrel for fun stuffs.

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Another Mossberg 500 fan here. An excellent value for what you are looking to do. Very reliable, easy to use, and they will last. Plenty of aftermarket accessories too if you choose to do something different.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    this is a good choice if you don't want to upgrade, if you wish to upgrade get the 500 both are outstanding firearms.:twocents:
    You can upgrade a Mav88. Its exactly the same as a 500 except for the safety and the slide assembly and a 500 slide assembly will fit a Mav.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

This is very true about the thumb safety if you are using a stock but if you are go to use a pistol grip go with the 870.

Top Bottom