• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    The 1500 makes you do your homework! I just purchased a 1911 from buds (on line), the price was cheaper than the 1500,( $5-70), cheaper, But BUD's is slow. Plus 10 bucks to shop the 1500. Bud's is slow, my 1911 has been in the shipping department for 3 days now. It does list 3-7 business days for shipping. AND it was in stock (WTF)

TacticalM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Who was the vendor?

Would prefer not to say, the post isn't a bash, it was just an observation to stir discussion and figure out if I was in the minority or otherwise. I will PM you if you would really like to know.

I will say that "custom" was in his company name. I assume he's at all the shows.

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    I haven't been to one in a while. Usually everything is overpriced, but what I like about it is that you might bump into something uncommon that you'd like to have. You never know what might turn up. I don't drive down on my own anymore because it's a waste of gas money, but if I can score a free ride (or take my turn being the driver for a few friends) I'll go. I've been told that standing around the entrance trying to pick off deals as they walk in is the way to do it. I've never tried that though. I am not looking to buy just anything because it's a good deal, it has to be something I want or need.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I could not make this 1500. Was the guy who was selling the Ameriqual MREs there again? Is he usually there. I want to get some more MREs even if I have to pay more than I did for Shibumiseeker's quantity purchase. If the guy was at the 1500, does anyone remember what he was selling a case for?

No he was not there, last show was the first time I had seen him there and he was selling them (if memory is correct) $56 a case or $6.00 for individuals.

I was hoping he would have been there also.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    While there is no excuse for rudeness, many dealers don't have much markup on new firearms to begin with, but the biggest reason they don't want to dicker at the 1500 is that they pay $90 per table if paid one month in advance. A full $100 per table if within the month before the show.

On the other hand, there is enough markup on used stuff that they should be able to give you a reasonable deal without making it seem like they hate you.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I went to a "custom" AR guy and the head guy was eating his lunch I guess so one of his employees was talking to me. I had just purchased my stripped lower which I think qualified me. The sales guy didn't know pricing on anything and kept deferring to the owner. So they told me $65 for a lower parts kit, $65 for a stock, and $400 for a 4 rail assembled M4 upper, but they would give me everything for $650... A little quick math means they increased the price $120 for the package. I asked what else they were including and after a lot of back and forth, the owner said he didn't have a BCG in the displayed upper... ok. That was after he pulled out a calculator, asked me why I had to be a "pain in his ass" and proceeded to ramble off a bunch of numbers that conveniently added up to about $900. Now, this $900 was for equipment which didn't have a name brand or at least they couldn't produce it. He was still willing to "discount it" to $650.

The whole thing was kind of a big turn off. Everyone kept tell me "he was the best". Oh well. I still have my brand new Del-Ton stripped lower.

You could have gone over to PK, they have mostly Rock River, some DPMS. Complete uppers with BCG start around $395.
    I almost walked out with a .458 Socom upper, they wanted $688.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    By the time I get to and from the 1500 and pay the $10 entry fee ($20 if I bring anyone along) and parking, with the cost of gas I'm at about the cost of a Mosin Nagant; and it eats up an entire weekend day that could be spent at the range. If I go, I'll make sure I bring some cash, but it's more like going to the state fair and looking for the experience than going shopping at my LGS seeking a deal.

Instead I got myself a deal on a NIB Gen 3 G17 from a LGS, went in picked it up and walked out, one stop no driving 465 to hit every store to find what I wanted; now I just need to get some range time in this week and see if I run into anyone that did get a deal at the 1500.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Bottom line, the 1500 isn't for everyone.

There are pro's and con's to the show. For me the con's out weigh the pro's. If it was managed better, in a bigger place with easier parking then I would go. But its more like shootin craps for finding something that you cant just find in the gun shops. If Plainfield Shooting Supplies and Bradis ever go under then I might consider the hassle of the 1500. As an after thought, a average of one ND per show does little to entice me to attend either.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I have found out that if you are willing to buy a firearm with cash and say that up front they are a little more willing to deal. I was looking for a Colt Combat elite this spring and could not find one anywhere. I went to the show and found 2 of them. One guy was unwilling to work with me to find a common spot. The second guy was willing to deal after I mentioned that I was willing to pay cash. I got the price dropped down by $50. I didn't need the gun and I was willing to walk and that is something that you have to be able to to.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I have been to the 1500 a total of 5 times. The first time I bought 4 guns! three from ZxGuns at amazing prices (package deal) and one from Fort Liberty. I walked the entire show and Zx and FL had the best prices on what I was looking for. I know the market real well and looked at every table before I purchased. The following three times I did not buy a thing. Most either did not have what I wanted or were way high on price. This last show I bought a Beretta INOX Cougar - last of the Italian made cougars NIB and paid a bit more than I wanted but Lord does she shoot like a dream.

That said I have become disenchanted with the show. 90% of the vendors are priced like Gander Mt or Cabellas and there is just too much non gun crap. I do however like to visit my 3 favorite vendors who generally have the best prices and treat me and others with respect.:twocents:

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    By the time I get to and from the 1500 and pay the $10 entry fee ($20 if I bring anyone along) and parking, with the cost of gas I'm at about the cost of a Mosin Nagant; .

Well said! I brought my kids this time and about choked on the entry fee. Since when is a 13 year old an adult???? That said it was a fun outing for father and sons.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Well said! I brought my kids this time and about choked on the entry fee. Since when is a 13 year old an adult???? That said it was a fun outing for father and sons.

This is happening in lots of places besides gun shows. Look at the age limit on a kids menu.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I was with a buddy who was selling a rifle and a shotgun. He sold his rifle before we had taken 5 steps past the security table. I will say that I enjoy going to the 1500; I've been at other shows that were MORE crowded, with less inventory that we have at this show. If you look, you can usually find at least two vendors for whatever you're seeking and they know they're competing with each other; you seldom find a "standard" price for things. I've never been big on haggling, but I'm learning, and overall I have a fun time everytime I go. Sorry for you folks that don't have fun.

Top Bottom