• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I was hunting with a friend a year or two ago, and for some reason he had brought his 17hmr with the 20 grain rounds. I think he was going mainly for raccoons maybe? Anyway, he shot a coyote from less than fifty yards in the ribs, it dropped like it was down for the count, only to pop back up a couple of seconds later. A follow up shot from my 17 remington with 30 grain bergers did the trick. Anyway, my friend has not brought the hmr back out, and now sticks mainly with his .204 or 22-250. I agree with another post that mentioned that centerfire is the way to go. Also agree with the shot placement point, but kinda wonder why you would go out on a hunt knowing that your round is marginal for the job, if you have other options available. I guess to answer the OP's question, I think the 17hmr is too small for coyotes, but can work in the right hands and conditions.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I just checked it out on the Hornady HITS calculator. The Vmax load gives a HITS rating of 27 at 100 yards. Small game rates from 0 to 500.

I think it's way too small for coyotes, borderline unethical.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    too small in my oppinion,i let my grandaughter shoot one in a trap in the center of the head at 6 inches and it rolled and screamed.i made her go inside and shot it behind the top of the head again and finished i didnt want my grandaughter seeing it suffer,but she went in and looked out the window,i felt bad.my wife was upset too.now shes killed a bunch of possums ,one coon almost a coyote and no birds.thats her way of saying it.ive killed them w/ my 552 rem. but always w/ more than one shot.22 mag is better but a minimum.i got four 22 hornets,i use that because my shots are generally close and have dropped them all.only about six though,one was a w/ a 22 250

Last edited:

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    They work nice on coyotes. I know a guy that dropped a good sized doe by accident with one too. But make sure you use the hornady shells with it they seem to be alot more deadly than some of the others. I have a .223 and a 22/250 and my .17 is my gun of choice for coyotes.

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    My opinion is 17 would be borderline cruel to use ona coyote. Ideal conditions only would be accpetable and even then...

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I bought my .17hmr when they first came out with that round and back then that was what they said they were intended for. I mean they kill alligators with a 22 and that isnt as powerful of a round. I have never had a coyote even take a step after I shot it with the .17. But I am a person who likes to take precise kill shots with smaller weapons instead of using a cannon to kill something small.

lrwatson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruger Canoe Paddle .17HMR

My buddy in SD uses a Ruger .17HMR on coyotes. I have not done it personally. Sometimes he gets close on a snow-sled.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have dropped 4 with the 17 HMR 2 in the head the other 2 in the boiler room. I was just out with the gun and they happened by from 50 to 75 yrds. I would not take it out if I was hunting coyotes I would go foor my centerfire. My :twocents:

snaresman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Auburn
    I've shot 6 total with a 17 HMR. Better have a good tracking snow for that round.

I won't go smaller than my 223 from now on.

Shot a coyote yesterday from 50 yards, perfect heart/lung hit. he made it 150 yards across a picked bean field before falling over. Not good...

Top Bottom