• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alliclaytor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Northside
    I have used a 17hmr for birds and it does some damage, but i cannot believe it would take care of a coyote unless you are 10 yards away and hit it in a critical spot.

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    I went to a gun shop last summer intending to buy a savage .17 for a truck gun for coyote and groundhogs but they talked me into a 22 magnum instead they said the .17 disinegrates to easy if it hits a blade of grass or any other obstruction like that . I have gotten several with the 22 magnum but a lot more with a .223 .

bubajoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    The .17 round with with go right through because of it's high volocity unless it hits bone or something with some mass. I've seen this happen to ground hogs I've shot.

More lead and a slower speed is your friend in this case.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I have heard of people having good results with it, particularly with the Gamepoints. Of course placement is critical. Personally, I consider it marginal and would take a bigger gun if at all possible. Are you hoping to save the pelts or trying to control the population? There are plenty of choices that would be better and few that would actually be worse.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have heard of people having good results with it, particularly with the Gamepoints. Of course placement is critical. Personally, I consider it marginal and would take a bigger gun if at all possible. Are you hoping to save the pelts or trying to control the population? There are plenty of choices that would be better and few that would actually be worse.

Sewing a small bullet hole beats needing another shot, or tracking a coyote.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have dropped a few coyotes with a .17hmr and know others who have as well. It is about shot placement mostly and I used Hornaday V-max ammo. If you do some checking then I am sure there are other ammo variants that would work.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Sewing a small bullet hole beats needing another shot, or tracking a coyote.

I was definitely not saying it's a great pelt rifle. Truthfully, I think it is better suited for 'yotes that you simply want dead (ie: chicken killers and/or puppy snatchers). I believe in making every kill as humane as possible and will only use a marginal caliber when it's an absolute necessity. If you want to hunt coyotes then buy a coyote gun in an appropriate caliber. If you need to defend your property & possessions against them, use what you have.

trapdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    DFW area
    I have a friend that has taken feral hogs with a17 HMR. The shots are 50 yrds. or less. Here again, I think his success is due to shot placement. I personnel use a 22 mag. on both hogs and yotes. It works great but I think it gets down to shot placement. I think either cartridge is a little light for this type of work unless you are confident of putting the shot in the correct placement.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I have both a 17hmr and 22 mag. I love my mag on shots between 75 and 125. Anything outside of 125 I would either use my 204 Ruger or 22-250. Alot depends on the setups you are hunting and the distance of shot you expect to take from those stands. Inside of 50 I love using my 17. It has performed several crainiotomies with out difficulty :) If you spend some time calling, you will find its tough to beat a 12 guage with #2 or #4 buck. If you are hunting in the wide-open I would suggest the 204, 223, or 22-250.

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    Thanks!

Great info! A friend said he dropped one but I think it's a little small but mine is dead on. Sounds like placement (as always) is critical.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Great info! A friend said he dropped one but I think it's a little small but mine is dead on. Sounds like placement (as always) is critical.

Head and neck shots will drop them with a .17hmr. One evening I got to see three different calibers drop coyotes. The two common sense people used .17hmr and .223 but the other guy just had to use a 30-06. Yes, the 30-06 killed the coyote:draw:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Why...I shot a deer the other day with my .17hmr the other day. Of course, shot placement is critical from 125 yards out. So knowing that I am an expert marksman in the field, I shot him cleanly in the head...right through the left eyeball. He didn't even move, just fell over. :draw::ar15::rockwoot:

Top Bottom