• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just a question, how many of ya'll (or rather us) regularly drank before the legal drinking age? ...and dare I say, gotten drunk?
    and let's also thrown in the multipliers of drag racing with friends, around the same age?

For the record, I'm guilty on both counts, and is part of the reason why I say I wasn't prepared to carry at young adulthood.

I had tasted beer before 21. Was really more of a 2 and done. It was kegs at that point in my life. Working 2 jobs and doing undergrad, didn't have time to become "blato" as I called it then.

Drove a '65 Pontiac LeMans convertible and a '79 Chevy van then. Not really drag racing vehicles. Didn't do it, had other stuff to do.

I had class or to be at work, did not have time to go to jail so I didn't.

I started carrying at 13. Carrying a pistol was no big deal to me at 18 as I had been carrying for 5 years.

It is the when, not the how, that one needs to teach young people. That comes with training. (No, plinking cans does not count).

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I had tasted beer before 21. Was really more of a 2 and done. It was kegs at that point in my life. Working 2 jobs and doing undergrad, didn't have time to become "blato" as I called it then.

Drove a '65 Pontiac LeMans convertible and a '79 Chevy van then. Not really drag racing vehicles. Didn't do it, had other stuff to do.

I had class or to be at work, did not have time to go to jail so I didn't.

I started carrying at 13. Carrying a pistol was no big deal to me at 18 as I had been carrying for 5 years.

It is the when, not the how, that one needs to teach young people. That comes with training. (No, plinking cans does not count).

Well, you were quite the responsible young man. My parent would have liked to have a person like you around to keep me from doing all the dumb stuff I did. But honestly, I had a good time being a bad kid. Though, I thank the Lord, I didn't die in a accident at 100mph+, get some girl pregnant, or go to jail... all of those thing could have easily happened.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, you were quite the responsible young man. My parent would have liked to have a person like you around to keep me from doing all the dumb stuff I did. But honestly, I had a good time being a bad kid. Though, I thank the Lord, I didn't die in a accident at 100mph+, get some girl pregnant, or go to jail... all of those thing could have easily happened.

Pulled over twice. Both at 16. First was picking up my brother at Plainfield movie theatre at 40 and 267. 10 over coming back to Indy, I accelerated too soon (I could see the sign). I was mad, but paid it.

Second was an ISP trooper, not in uniform and unmarked car, that said I rolled through stop sign. It did not go well for him at trial (Speedway Town Court).

Did not drive recklessly, did not have car for it and always had something else to do. Never did dope, again too busy. (Well, I likely had contact high at the Deep Purple concert in '85). As well, my personality kept me away from girls, I was Kirk the Knife, being a sarcastic a-hole does not get one attention from the ladies.

Regardless, whatever one's age, training controls.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Just a question, how many of ya'll (or rather us) regularly drank before the legal drinking age? ...and dare I say, gotten drunk?
    and let's also thrown in the multipliers of drag racing with friends, around the same age?

For the record, I'm guilty on both counts, and is part of the reason why I say I wasn't prepared to carry at young adulthood.

So, you don't drink alcohol now at all because you carry?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

I drank a lot and got a girl pregnant before I was 18. I went to jail when I was 19. I didn't drag race, though.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    At 18 I was on a S5W Naval Nuclear Reactor.

But ... oh no. Better not have a gun.

I was carrying a fully automatic M16A1 at 18 and by 19, an M60E3.

...and I realize I am an outlier, but I have never been drunk....though at times my behavior would make that difficult to believe (I have the misfortune of vividly remembering all such instances), drove over 100mph a few times, didn't risk getting anyone pregnant and managed not to kill anyone.

...so I think the point is that there is a wide variety of personalities, choices, behaviors, etc. people engage at when 18 (or 19, or 48) and if we are going to have the government somewhat arbitrarily set the age of majority at 18, that's fine, but "in for a penny, in for a pound."

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    IMHO 18 or 68, carrying a gun without some dedicated CCW training is a dangerous game you aren't prepared to play. Owning a gun is your right, in Indiana carrying it is considered a privilege. Covering those two bases are simple enough but make no mistake, having the knowledge and skill to defend yourself requires training.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    At 18 I was on a S5W Naval Nuclear Reactor.

But ... oh no. Better not have a gun.

...so you were left completely to your own devices, alone with that nuclear reactor, doing as you pleased, when you pleased?
    Or dare I say, you regularly took orders and instructions while dealing with said device, at 18?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So, you don't drink alcohol now at all because you carry?

If I did, I'd be within the law. Abiding by the law often correlates with maturity. So if someone is drinking at 18, then IMO, it's fair to question if they are mature enough to carry a firearm.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Pffft, Eleven Bang-bang, wasn't your first issue weapon a musket?

Are you sure you aren't older than I am? Also, everything I had was at least rifled.

...and plenty of people got A2s over the years, but the closest I got was an A1 with those ugly round A2 hand guards.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    ...so you were left completely to your own devices, alone with that nuclear reactor, doing as you pleased, when you pleased?
    Or dare I say, you regularly took orders and instructions while dealing with said device, at 18?

As a gun owner, do you not have to follow Indiana Code?

And, in port, the RO is the senior watchstander, with officers only making spot checks.

As for the 1911, I was told, point it that way, and shoot till they don't get up.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As a gun owner, do you not have to follow Indiana Code?

And, in port, the RO is the senior watchstander, with officers only making spot checks.

As for the 1911, I was told, point it that way, and shoot till they don't get up.

Following Indiana code isn't someone checking up on you daily to make sure you're complying with the law. I know what you were trying to convey, that young people in the military have a LOT of responsibility. That's absolutely true, but there's no kinship between the freedoms of a private individual and a member of the military. I'd also further say, that the experiences many got in the military went a long way towards maturing the up, compared to people of similar age who did not go into the military.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    If you’re old enough to die in service of the country (in theory) then you should be afforded all of the rights and privileges of said nation. Individual maturity however is a separate issue entirely.

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    I got my carry permit the day I turned 18. I was also enlisted in the Army and leaving for basic training 6 months later. As far as I remember I never shot anyone or miss handled a handgun. You son will do fine.

Top Bottom