• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    My daughter just turned 18, I bought her a Glock. She doesn't want to carry it yet as she isn't ready. I told her that was fine and I agreed if she didn't feel ready she didn't have to
    carry it. She will get her permit and take some training and when she decides she is ready she can carry it.
    I agree with others that have said it depends on the 18 year old, I carried when I was 18 and didn't do or say anything stupid but had friends that should not have been allowed to even look at a gun.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    The whole debate is a little funny.... driving is a privilege 100% and it is completely normal for ALL kids ready or not at 16 getting licenses to drive cars. ( cars kill how many per year?) yet we are debating if a young adult has the ability or should have the ability to protect themselves...?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wish that training was as available as it is today when I started carrying at 19. I didn't do anything stupid, but my best friend gave me a real talking to about my mindset/attitude. The need for training would have been obvious, were it available.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Depends on the 18 yrs old, I know some that I wouldn't. But I know some 16 yr olds that I would trust ( if it were legal).

Maturity is a variable in different individuals...and carrying a gun, much like driving an automobile, varies by individual.

My daughter when she turns 18 will be getting her license to carry and will be getting to go thru safe and pick what gun she wants and if I don't have one she likes I will make sure she gets what she wants.

My daughter is 15 and has already let me know which toy she wants...I make it possible that she trains with it now (occasionally) so that she's more familiar with it when she gets older so she's not starting new.

It's kinda like learning to drive an automobile...one doesn't wait until they turn 15.5 and then say, 'Here's a permit, let's get out on the open road.'...one starts before that, in an empty parking lot, or out on the farm, learning how to start, stop, turn, park, back, etc. so as to to the 'feel' of the automobile and how it works PRIOR to getting out on the open road...get all the basics out of the way so the learner is comfortable with the vehicle's operation prior to trying to do all that while involving all of the rules-of-the-road along with involving other vehicles and their drivers!

My daughter just turned 18, I bought her a Glock. She doesn't want to carry it yet as she isn't ready. I told her that was fine and I agreed if she didn't feel ready she didn't have to
    carry it. She will get her permit and take some training and when she decides she is ready she can carry it. I agree with others that have said it depends on the 18 year old, I carried when I was 18 and didn't do or say anything stupid but had friends that should not have been allowed to even look at a gun.

Being comfortable about carrying a gun is almost as important as carrying a gun itself...and knowing how and when to use it is a large part of it.
    Education is key...and having a younger individual who's willing to learn, understand, and master the concepts of self-defense goes a long way towards building that comfort level.
    Practice is also large part of that process, especially in developing the skills necessary to be able to use a weapon, correctly, effectively, and efficiently, while under duress, which is when it really matters!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I started my boys out at 5 years old with a Davy Cricket 22lr. When they got big enough to handle a handgun I had a 22lr Rough rider revolver. At 12 they were shooting semiautomatic rifles and pistols. Both of my older sons joined the Army right out of high school. My youngest went aginst family tradition and joined the Marines. Were they mature at 5-18? No they were children, but they were trained well.

Top Bottom